Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (mikesteppie)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-30-2009, 1:37 AM Reply   
HO/Hyperlite is a company that I have had great relations with for many years and have respected in the Watersports industry. Has now stunned me.

A dear friend of mine who is a pioneer in the watersports industry was let go from HO/Hyperlite today. He has been responsible for many of the grachics and lines we have loved over the years. From the Parks Robot Line...to the Catalyst... to Pretty much all of Byerly's line.....To Byerly's Oneill Stuff...

He was laid off due to "budget cuts" and "Economic" strains. Also keep in mind this is the company that not but a few months ago hired someone back to their art department after they had left and gone to Ronix for a period of time then to comeback to HO/Hyperlite. Yet they are tight on money.

Just a little hard for me to take since I know this person has truly been a pioneer in the industry as much as any of the athletes with their grapchis and designs.

I hope that HO/Hyperlite knows what they're doing and hope their management staff can sleep at night knowing that they let go 2 pioneers and loyal people to their company: in their top desiger and also let go Wade "Coxy" Cox one of their top skiers the other day. (but I'm sure that hasn't leaked just yet). oops..

Glad to see they hire back people who leave their company thinking the grass is greener on the other side and lay off people who had been loyal due to "Budget Strains".

Sorry just a little vent and a little bit of let down from a company I have had great relations with is all. There are still many people I love at this company but just blown away with some of managements decisions on who to lay off and who to hire.

I'm sure they know what they are doing..............................
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-30-2009, 5:16 AM Reply   
Hey Mike,
I thought I'd address this as a business owner, someone who knows Son, and also does business with Hyperlite / HO / Ronix....and dealt with similar issues in my own business.

First....Regarding Son....change like this is NEVER easy. Son is extremely talented and his art has truly influenced a great deal of board designs / imagery for the industry. That said, I'm sure that given his abilities, he will be able to find a place that will nurture his skills. And as simplistic as it may be...I often equate work / a job to being like a plant. Sometimes when a plant stays in the same place for too long it can become dormant. To grow....you have to prune it or move it to a place more suitable for its growth and flourish. It may not make sense now, but in several years this may be a blessing for him as he will find a place where he can continue to grow personally and professionally. Again, he is talented....and should focus on the future and not dwell on the past. That said change is never easy...and I wish him well finding a place that will allow him to grow.

As for Hyperlite / HO and the decisions they make. I can tell you that things are tough in our industry. I don't know the facts regarding HO / Hyperlites budgeting issues, but I'm sure there are specific reasons they made the changes they did. As to why they made them.....how they decided to make them.....we can only speculate as we are not privy to the discussions and information that lead to them. That said, as a business owner.....when I've had to deal with situations like this........I've had customers / people outside my business question my ethics / reasons why I did certain things. All I can say is that....without without knowing all the facts that relate to this / why things happen / and the details...its truly hard to fully understand what is really going on. And while we can speculate, without knowing the facts from both parties perspective....its not fair to either party to do so. Change was made....right or wrong...and everyone needs to move on.

That said....one thing I can suggest to anyone out there who works for a larger company or individual...99% of issues like this seem to relate to communication issues, knowing what is expected of you...discussing things you are doing well or need to do better and setting goals and reviewing them frequently. That said, I will be the first to admit that I, as an owner, still need to work to do this more effectively...but also would suggest to those reading this... if you value your job...work to have open lines of communication with your boss / employer / manager on what is expected...how you are doing...things you need to do better. Sometimes there will be issues you don't agree with or want to hear...but honestly..these may be things you NEED to hear. And if you don't talk about them / know them...they will create problems. Sorry for getting up on the proverbial soap box..but felt I might be able to offer some thoughts as a business owner. Again, this is never a good situation... I hope things work out well for all parties. Change is never easy...but sometimes good...even if it makes no sense.

Bill @ Performance
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       05-30-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
VERY well put Bill. Thank you for giving that point of view.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-30-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
I didn't know Son was on the payroll at HO...

Well, as a designer/artist who has a long and proven relationship with Hyperlite/HO, I'm sure they'll contract work out to him - they'd be crazy not to. I'm sure we all agree that Son has produced some of the most memorable graphics of the past 10+ years.

A little surprised to hear about Wade... but Slaloming doesn't rake in the cash for watersports companies the way it used to. Sad, but true.

Good luck guys - hard times force new, pioneering thought...
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-30-2009, 5:10 PM Reply   
Companies are struggling right now to even keep their doors open. I know Son has been in the HO family for years and their love for him runs deep. It is not an easy world out there and tough decisions have to be made. I have seen job losses turn into blessings in disguise in alot of cases and I pray this is one of them.
Old     (nautques4ever)      Join Date: May 2009       05-31-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
The Root Cause of all of our economic problems is a government that has no clue and does not care.
If the Federal Government thinks by printing more money and giving it to state and county governments for them to hoard and steal will solve anything, then they will soon be shown to be WRONG. Sure they are throwing cash at Roads and Transportation but the illegals and minorities doing most of the work are being paid minimum wages. How can this improve the economy?
Bottom Line - The Federal, State and County Crooks need to fund building high technology items whether we really need them or not. Like Reagan did in the 80's with Aerospace/Defense spending - sure we never had to use the Nukes we built back then but it created hundreds of thousands of Jobs - Good paying ones that is. Then the money flowed all around boosting sales in all areas. The way the Federal Government has been running the past couple years and still is today there is no doubt we will continue the downward spiral. All we keep hearing is the same old promises while billions of dollars are vaporizing in to thin air - due to no REAL Federal, State and County Government Accountability....
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2009, 6:32 AM Reply   
Thank you , Michael Moore.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, does anyone else remember when people used the internet for things other than airing other people's dirty laundry and discussing things that were none of their business?
Old     (slaysher)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
I'm going to choose my words carefully here and stick with one...

Unbelievable. . . :-(
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-02-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
anthem - I thought that was WHY Al Gore invented the internet.

sorry to hear Son has been let go. killer artist for sure.
Old     (killercam)      Join Date: May 2009       06-02-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
He will tear it up where ever he goes. Im sure it hurts but I guarantee that won't be the last we'll see of his artwork. Props to Son, keep it up man!