Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SMLWinds)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-05-2014, 1:47 AM Reply   
I am looking for some general advice on wakeboard boats. Until today, I had only wakeboarded behind an I/O Chaparral. I am pretty advanced as a wakeboarder even behind that but today when I rode behind my first ever wakeboard boat (a Nautique) I realized how much the boat matters. It really elevated my performance into a different category!

With that said, I am interested in beginning the search for a wakeboard boat. I know some brands that are good--Malibu, Nautique, Mastercraft, etc. but would like some input.

What brand(s) of wakeboard boat are clearly the top of the line? Money is not an issue--I have the means to buy any of them. I don't want to waste money unnecessarily, but if I can getting something for it I don't mind spending it! So, if you could have any boat you wanted, which boat(s) would you choose?

If I can get a few names of the brands that are top of the line then I can start researching them to see what the pros and cons of each are but at this point, I haven't narrowed the list of brands down at all.

I will be using the boat for wakeboarding and would like to get into surfing, which I haven't been able to do just yet. I do slalom ski so if there is a boat that can double as a ski boat that would be a bonus...BUT, I don't want to sacrifice wakeboard quality in order to make it double as a ski boat.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by SMLWinds; 09-05-2014 at 1:49 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-05-2014, 5:17 AM Reply   
This is going to get some wide range responses, but I'll start it off. I think you will be hard pressed to hear anything but a Nautique G series boat for strictly wakeboarding will be hands down the consensus choice. The new Supra products seem to be catching a lot of people's attention and I sure like the way the look and the direction they are going with their products. Other than the G, take a look at the Malibu 247 series. One of the best looking boats on the water in my opinion and of course has a great wake at just about any speed. All three above mentioned will be equipped with a surf system so resale and surfing will be easily achievable. Just my thoughts, I'm sure people will throw in Axis and MB which are also great lines, but when working with an unlimited budget I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that would chose one of those two over the G series.
Old    dbrayton1            09-05-2014, 6:08 AM Reply   
^^^^^^ what he said x2. Only thing to add is the potential to ski sometimes. Those big boats throw a fairly large wake even with no ballast. The Nautique 210 or 230 tend to be the alternative to the monster G series if you want to stick with Nautique. I'm biased towards Nautique, but if I went another route I would personally consider Mastercraft or Tige. IMO Tige have surpassed Malibu in the past few years. I took a hard look at a used Malibu 247 at the Nautique dealership and was put off by the carpeted seat bases that are bolted to the deck and a few other corners cut in places where the average buyer may not look.

Like cedarcreek said, the supra SA/SC series looks good on paper. Haven't seen one close up. Mastercraft have tried some interesting things like marine heads and fridges in their larger models. A nice touch if you want a big boat that can stay out all day.

The dealer is always a major factor. Walk away if you dont like them during the purchase process. It only gets worse when they have your money ;-) Honestly, I didn't stick around the Malibu dealership long enough to look at anything because they were so pushy/used car salesy.

Good luck in your search.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-05-2014, 7:06 AM Reply   
great deal on a vdrive
malibu sunsetter VLX 14k
Old     (SMLWinds)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-05-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. I know this is going to be an opinionated thread, but that is all right. I am just looking for some brands that definitely should be in or out. I know everyone will have their opinion and this is essentially a classic Chevy vs. Ford discussion (or, more like BMW vs. Mercedes). But, I did want to get a generally agreed upon hierarchy....for example, most people would agree that Porsche is superior to Dodge and there are certain cars in the "upper class." I feel certain it is probably the same way for boats although I realize everyone has a different opinion and there are some that would argue that their Kia is better than a Range Rover. Then their is the "for the money" subject. If I can get a great deal with very little sacrifice I am interested in best deal "for the money" but if it is more than an inconsequential concession I don't see the need is skimping on a relatively small amount of money and only getting close to the best.

Feel free to cast stones at me, but I couldn't care any less what the boat looks like. I am picking purely on the basis of quality and performance. They all look very similar to me and I'm certainly not interested in paying more for a flashier boat or more detailed graphic job.

So, sounds like I should at least consider Nautique, Tige, Mastercraft, and Malibu. What else?

A couple other things--the lower price boats (from what I have heard, Moomba and Axis)--are they cheaper because of less detailed graphics and features or is there a significant difference in performance and/or quality?

Lastly, has the performance of these boats changed much over the last few years? In other words, if I get a boat that is a few years old as opposed to new will performance be pretty equal to the current models?

Thanks again!
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-08-2014, 7:13 AM Reply   
this should help tons of awesome boats for sale
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-08-2014, 8:55 AM Reply   
No moomba and axis aren't cheaper because of less performance or quality. I have an Axis with an LS3 and it will outperform any mastercraft, nautique, tige, etc with the smaller engine. The cheaper boats aren't going to break in half either. They are cheaper because they are simple and more rider oriented. What makes master craft, nautique, etc more expensive are a few things. First, the name, the electronics such as touch screens, all of the billet aluminum, more complex interior design, and just a more expensive overall design. All these boat basically use the same engines, transmissions, running gear etc. Until 2015, indmar engines were in Axis, Malibu, Supra, Tige, Moomba.

With any boat, you have to remember that they are hand built and any brand has the potential to have minor or major problems. The moomba or axis just won't have the complicated touch screen problems.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-08-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
Axis boats are built EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as Malibu. EXACTLY. They are less expensive due to options and outfitting, NOT due to shortcuts in the build process.

I've been to the factory and seen the process in person. Axis is sprayed and assembled in the same line, using the same process INCLUDING flotation foam.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-08-2014, 11:19 AM Reply   
what will you tow with? How far do you tow? Are you on a lift with it? Any storage/garage concerns?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-08-2014, 1:00 PM Reply   
If money is not an issue, there's only one answer.

G
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2014, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
If money is not an issue, there's only one answer.

G
I think there is probably a couple boats that should be in that conversation along with the G. I would put the 23'+ Malibu's and the new SE from Supra in there.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-08-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I think there is probably a couple boats that should be in that conversation along with the G. I would put the 23'+ Malibu's and the new SE from Supra in there.
Not if money is no issue...... Maybe if looks were an issue.....

You can't get a better all around package, for performance, and versatility, than the G. But it is going to cost you.

Skiing excluded, it has one of the most versatile wakes in the industry.
One of the top 3 wakeboard wakes in the industry. (probably best, or second best, depending on wake shape preference)
It has far more room than any other boat in its size class.
More under floor ballast than any of the boats in its class.
More storage than any boat in its class.
Better fit and finish than most boats in its class.
Better reputation, and ease of resale.
A VERY reliable computer system. (This is huge)
No bags in rear compartments!!
And the list goes on......

There are tons of boats (Like the SE, or bigger Bu's) that can say they they have some of the above, but they don't have it all. The G rates at, or near the top, in every single measurable wakeboat performance category...... Except looks.

I see the point you are trying to make, and I somewhat agree. However Migs said "if money is not an issue".

Last edited by Fixable; 09-08-2014 at 1:45 PM.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-08-2014, 2:11 PM Reply   
If there was a parking lot of all the wakeboats currently on the market for you to choose from FREE OF CHARGE. What would you hitch up to your truck & drive away with?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
Probably a Malibu 23LSV, 24MXZ or Supra SE.

Those 3 boats are far better looking, in my opinion, than the G. Since the OP says he doesn't care about looks, you are probably right.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       09-09-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
I'm a Tige owner and fan, but if money is no issue, then this would be my list:

1. Any G. 21, 23, 25, doesn't matter.
2. Axis A24. Throws an absolutely killer wake on par with the G when slammed, at a fraction of the cost.
3. Tige ASR. This is a close one with the A24, but a little behind it since no one has really seen pics of the wake dialed in yet. I did see the wake with no ballast at it looks pretty good (quite a bit bigger than my RZ4), so I imagine that it will put out a really big wake once weighted and dialed.
4. Supra SE. They are looking sexy as hell and have heard nothing but good reviews about these new boats Supra is putting out.

There's a ton of options out there, but if you're really as advanced as you claim to be and wanting to focus primarily on getting even better at wake boarding, then forget about have a good ski wake. You'll want these type boats to give you a truly awesome wake, which will in never produce a high quality ski wake. Not saying you can't slalom behind them, just saying that it's not going to be a small wake by any means, even when running empty and at higher slalom speeds.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       09-09-2014, 8:13 AM Reply   
advanced wakeboarder... riding only behind I/Os? I don't buy that. 5's? 7's? mobes?

buy something cheap to beat up and learn how to take care of a boat, virtually any recent inboard will have a much, much, much, much better wake than any I/O.

i pitty the boat and person who's first inboard is a g
Old     (Tims)      Join Date: Feb 2014       09-09-2014, 9:59 AM Reply   
If you want to ski I am not sure a "G" series boat is the answer. Mastercraft X30 / Malibu 23LSV / or one of the Supra "S" series boats will have a better ski wake and all of them have good surf systems. I can speak to the Supra as my SC has a nice flat wake at 34mph, great wakeboard wake at any speed, and is a good surf platform.

If just wakeboarding and surfing, hard to argue against a G.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-09-2014, 4:13 PM Reply   
^Agreed
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-09-2014, 7:59 PM Reply   
Malibu now has a lifting wedge which should be able to help flatten out the ski wake.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-09-2014, 9:23 PM Reply   
If you have the means just get the G23, really there's no comparison here. Others will defend their brand because it gives them validity when others buy it, and no I do not own a G23. The wake is the best in wakeboarding, period. Don't even try to argue it because you will be incorrect. Looks are a matter of taste, I like the look of it, especially with the faux teak traction pads, but it's not for everybody. Storage and amenities? It has literally everything you could want besides a back up camera and it doesn't trailer itself, but I'm sure they'll figure that out soon enough. If you can find a good deal on a used one great, if you can afford a new one then that's also great. I'm not sure who the rider is in the picture, I'm sure they're professional but either way WOW.