Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sbr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-27-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Ok, I want to upgrade from my 78 Mastercraft. My budget is about $10,000-$12,000. We are intermediate wakeboarders that pull a skier once in awhile, so I would like to find a boat which would lean more towards a wakeboard wake. Open bow is a must and amount of room or space is also something I want. Post up your opinions about these 3 boats or even others that would be a good choice. Thoughts regardings wakes,the way they ride in rough water,engines,trannys,interior,room,design of the boats in general....the good...the bad...etc. I have owned my Mastercraft for the 8 years and love it, just would like a bigger and newer boat and maybe one that handles the choppy water better. Thanks for your feedback .
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-27-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
How about an old Supra Sunsport? It would have everything you are looking for and that price. Gonna be tough to find a good open bow wake style boat in MC, Malibu, or CC in that price. Closed bow would be doable though..
Old    ScottRobinson            05-27-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
I agree, your price range is your draw back. I would wait another year or two and add 10k to that number. At 20k you can find something that works. GL in your search. If you want a killer boat EPIC 23V. Just bought one, SICK SICK SICK...! but some serious coin.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-27-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
i had a 92 correct craft nautique excel it was a v drive boat that you could get in open bow with a 351 ford or a 454 chevy.i had the 351 i could ski , slalom,kneeboard ,barefoot and wakeboard behind it .it had a excellent wake for all and the middle was smooth at 78' to 80' back for barefooting. i had a closed bow and it would seat 7 comfortable. it should be easy to fit one in your price range even up to 95 model.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-27-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
your price range - u can prob find a late 90's centurion or sanger.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-27-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
I was checking our local craigslist because there was a really great condition open bow sunsport with nothing wrong and the guy was selling it for $5k! That would have been perfect for ya...Ive heard you can weight the crap outta the sunsports since they sit so high. I'd look at a sunsport for sure
Old     (sbr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-27-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. I guess maybe I worded it wrong. I know that for the money that I want to spend, I am buying a ski boat.......but, out of the ski boats made in the early to mid 90's, which is the best bang for the buck, which one seems to fit what I am looking for, is one boat better than another in those years? Or is it kinda like the ford vs chevy thing
Old     (sbr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-27-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermustang35 View Post
I was checking our local craigslist because there was a really great condition open bow sunsport with nothing wrong and the guy was selling it for $5k! That would have been perfect for ya...Ive heard you can weight the crap outta the sunsports since they sit so high. I'd look at a sunsport for sure
Don't mean to sound stupid....Sunsport?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-27-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
the nautique excel v drives are the closest thing to modern wake boat and ski boat.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-27-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Look for a Sanger DLX from the 90's. You should be able to get one for close to that price.

They handle the chop better than most due to the semi-v hull, and the way they build boats is second to none. Super solid.

Also, the DLX is a proven performer for ski and properly weighted is great for wakeboarding.

Good luck.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1756052957.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1753265049.html
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-27-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
I sold my '95 Sport Nautique (open bow) last season for $10.5K. It had 1300 hours on it. Many of those hours included 2000# of ballast and I never had any major mechanical issues. Great wakeboarding wake for intermediate riders without add'l weight and a good wake for advanced riders with add'l weight. Handled well and produced a good ski wake. Only drawback is that it didn't ride real well in chop. Did OK in rough water up to around 28 mph. Above that and the ride got pretty rough. Amazing boat. If I was looking for a boat in the 10K range a Sport Nautique would be my first choice.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-27-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Mid 90's Malibu Sunsports, Nautique (Correct Craft) Sports, or MC 205's. Honestly the boats people will try and sell you with monster wakes are not useful to you right now, and you will have fun with any of those boats
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-27-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
Umm ... Supra Sunsport.

I've always thought by its hull and beam it looked like a 1990's DD predecessor to my 2006 CC 211. (I think it's more coincidence or an instance of parallel evolution than intention.)

I've seen in the past that a lot of Sunsport owners are very pleased with their wakes. I'm very pleased with mine. Given the similarities I see in hull and beam, I'd guess we're all pleased with about the same kind of wake.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-27-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
I think in that price range you need to open up to a few more brands