Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2003, 1:03 PM Reply   
I'm trying to find a good first wakeboarding boat. I know more or less the type of features I want (direct drive, tower, open bow) but I am unsure of what he best deals are and where to find them. If I go used I'd look to spend 20K or less.

My question is, would it be better to look for a good used boat in this price range? Or would I be better off, buying a new boat, which would be quite a bit more expensive, and sell it in a few years.

I know new boats seem to hold thier value fairly well. So I probably wouldn't be loosing too much money if I sold a new boat two or three years down the road.

Any thought's or suggestions, would help me out. You all know way more about this than I do.
thanks
Old    sandman            06-25-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
The initial owner of a boat will always take the biggest hit.
Old    damnation            06-25-2003, 1:40 PM Reply   
I would highly suggest looking at a late 90's or early 2000's Malibu Sunsetter. Prior to 2002, the Sunsetter was equipped with the SV 23 hull, which is the same as the Wakesetter hull. This boat produces an awesome wake, has high quality components, and a great resale value.

Another great option is a CC Sport Nautique. Great wake, high quality components, and great resale value!
Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
Can most any ski boat but turned into a pretty good wake boat? By adding a tower or pylon can most ski boats get the job done? I don't need a great wake likea new X-star would throw, but I don't want to ride behind a bass boat either.

Is/are there any ski boats that it is useless or stupid to put a tower on to?
Old    tommyadrian5            06-25-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
If you buy a new boat you'll take a 20%-25% hit on the value of the boat when you drop it in the water the first time. As for used ski boats that make decent wakeboard boats, anything except closed bow 19 foot boats(any 19 foot boats for that matter) can make decent (i'm not saying fantastic, but good enough to have fun on) wakeboard boats with a tower and some ballast. Look at used sunsetters like dave said, also check out used prostar 195's, 205's etc, as well as sportstars and sport nautiques. Good luck.
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-25-2003, 6:52 PM Reply   
If you buy used, the boat may come with many of the extras that you might need(want). Usually at little or no extra cost.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-25-2003, 8:46 PM Reply   
A suggestion is how much do you want to spend a month? If your borrowing money, then banks will not loan 100% on used, but will on new. The point is $275 mo. used vs. $300 mo. new! Now I know we may be talking a few more years, but the boat should retain it's value if taken care of. It made me buy a new boat and no worries. I am sure there will be lot's of feelings the other way, but you asked! On the other hand if you have a little cash for down payment, then check out flipsell, boattraders, etc. and you may score a steal if your willing to drive a bit. Good Luck!
Old    damnation            06-26-2003, 6:40 AM Reply   
I agree with the fact that you may score a steal if you are willing to travel a little bit (I did on my current boat). I tend to disagree with the general statement that you will lose 20-25% of a new boat's value though. I bought a 2002 Sunsetter and lost about 6% on resale after 18 months of use. If you buy a new boat with proven resale value, that helps out a lot!

In the end, it all depends on what YOU want. I would definitely check out flipsell.com.

Further, not all ski boats make good wakeboard boats. It's all in the design of the hull.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2003, 7:15 AM Reply   
Check out a 1999 MasterCraft Prostar 205. I had that boat with a ZeroFlex tower and it was an awesome wakeboard boat. It has the same hull as the xstar. You probably won't find one in the low $20s but still much cheaper than a new one.
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2003, 7:40 AM Reply   
I disagree with the statement that "...anything except closed bow 19 foot boats(any 19 foot boats for that matter) can make decent (i'm not saying fantastic, but good enough to have fun on) wakeboard boats..." The 82'-89' Ski Nautique 2001s are 19' (19'6", I believe) and they produce a great wake that some people prefer over many newer boats.
Old    6more            06-30-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
Definitely check out the used boat market. These boats are not complicated and can last a very long time if properly cared for. Not only are you going to get more boat for the money (you can afford a nicer boat with more accessories), but the biggest depreciation come in the first couple of years of ownership (that's with everything, car, boat, motorcycle, etc).

For example, we bought a 93 PS 190 used about 5 yrs ago for $14,500.00, we could sell it today for $13,500 fairly easily. So $1000-$2000 loss over 5 years isn't bad. Compare that to a $40,000 wakeboard boat that was bought new 2 years ago and is only worth $35,000 today.

Stick with the used boat market - spend the extra $ on accessories and toys!