Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-24-2005, 6:32 AM Reply   
Her are the results from Singapore and the IWSF Wakeboard World Cup
Soven (USA)
Weatherall (NZ)
Dan Knott (GB)
Watkins (Aus)
Keith Lidberg was the other American rider and he did not make it to finals.

Amily Copeland Durham (USA)
Gretchen Hammarberg (USA)
Andrea Fountain (NZ)

Philip and Emily racked up some nice wins and some cash on their whirlwind tour of the Pacific, Three weeks and three first place finishes. Who is Gretchen? I can't figure out who gets to go to these and why? I know it is invite only but how do you get invited. I thought you had to participate in a USAWakeboard tournament but only Keith did that. I can't find anything Gretchen has done. I am not saying she is not worthy I just can't figure out how it is decided
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-24-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
I am thinking Gretchen is not from the USA and it was a misprint on the results. In that case there would not be anything about what she has done in the US. I still don't know how the invites work though.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-24-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
Grethchen is from socal. Great gal, I am happy for her. Hows it goin David?
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-24-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
Gretchen is a Canyon Lake local, and rides for Gator Boards. Keep an eye on her, she is a major threat to womens wakeboarding. You can see pics of her in the "Local Pro Who?" thread, and in the "Who's the Hottest Female Rider?" threads.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/247837.html?1129071028

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/261233.html?1130124285
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-24-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
OK she looks good but the question is what has done in competition. I could not find her at any comps, nationals, Pan Am or WWA Worlds. Even INT.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-24-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
Just do a search for Gretchen in Wake World, and you'll get all this and more.

http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/girls.asp

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2003/wsm20.asp

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2002/xgames2.asp

http://www.wakeworld.com/News/2000/TripleCrownStop2b.asp

http://www.wakeworld.com/News/2004/StandingsProTour.asp

http://www.wakeworld.com/News/2003/StandingsWorldCup.asp
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-24-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Thanks- I remember seeing her name some. Still can't understand how they chose though. So how did she qualify to go? Philip and Emily are two of the top riders in the world and Lidberg went to their nationals. I can't figure out how she goes over alot of other ladies. I am not disrespecting her. There is just no logic in the whole thing. She got 2nd so she did great.
Old     (tahiti689)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-24-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
i was invited on the 04 and 05 world cup and for this last stop they had 2 wild cards for men and women, they knew about gretchen through me so they decided to give her a try on this comp. She did great, landed her whirlybird, batwing, and all her basic tricks. Emily had a great ride so did all the other girls. the level on the world cup is getting higher every year.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2005, 5:03 AM Reply   
Cool- But it still doesn't explain how to get invited. Is it who you know or stuff you do for the sport outside of riding? They can only take a couple of riders from each country and the stakes are pretty big. No offense to you Jason but what was it you did that made them invite you over the top 10 or 20 pro riders? Why wasn't Lohman invited since she rode at their nationals and is on the pro tour?

I am not trying to infer anything but I am just really curious. This is a pretty big deal and no one seems to know how it works. Is it the USA waterski people or some world organization or some companies that invite?
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-25-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
Why don't you contact the IWSF, and ask them?

www.iwsfworldcup.com

www.iwsf.com

Google does wonders...
Old     (bulldog_peach)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-26-2005, 5:22 AM Reply   
Before everyone gets their panty's in a knot let me say Gretchen is a very good rider. It is USA Waterski that chooses. They publish a criteria but have yet to follow it. They do not follow it and chose by who they know. You are suppose to ride in their nationals but lohrman and denise rode and did not get chosen. Copeland Durham nor Gretchen did participate but they get chosen. The Sovens have never riden in any event except worlds (paid for) and they are chosen. Matt Sims rode and wasn't. Jared said he selected and what has he ridden in.

They may have an argument saying they want to choose the best riders to go but you can't possibly put Jared and Gretchen in that group. While Gretchen may ride great and Jared too, they are not in the "best" group.

I know this is a west coast site and everyone will jump to their defense but it is not about them. They didn't do anything wrong and great for them they were invited. It does stink how this is done. I know Trevor tried to get to go to some of these and he got the run around.

USA waterski people think they can take over wakeboarding from the WWA and "clean it up". They say they want to work with the wwa but refuse to respond to them. There are some really good people in USAWS but many of them have an axe to grind with WWA and would like to see them gone.

Old     (bulldog_peach)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-26-2005, 5:24 AM Reply   
excuse me- I meant Jason, not Jared. This has nothing to do with the individuals anyway.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-26-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
Wow...interesting comments, but it says on their site in the 2005 rules section that entry is by invitation only at the discretion of the WWC (rule 9).
http://www.mastercraft-europe.com/WBWC/event-rules.htm#9

BTW, his name appears as "Jesson".
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-26-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
Here's one I took of Gretchen
Old     (bulldog_peach)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-27-2005, 6:06 AM Reply   
If anyone from the WWA reads these please put in your thoughts. I don't mean this to be about Gretchen cause it is not. I hope she does the tour next year and/or WWA nationals and tears it up. But I have heard you guys talk about this Worlds and sanctioning group and how it is hurting the sport.

"invited at their discretion". and that is not a problem? I understand not inviting some riders who don't meet their requirements. But how can you call it a "world championship" and you don't bring the best? How about all the ladies out there who went to all the tournaments, invest their time and money and then don't get invited. Again, this is not about Gretchen, but it is not right to pass on these ladies Tara Hamilton, Melissa Marquardt -Barrett Perlman, Dallas Friday, Megan McNeil, Lauren Loe, Maeghan Major, Lauren Harf-Loveless, Laura Lohrmann, Cheryl Newton.

The Master's is invitational but you are invited because of an accopmlishment. This is a nice purse for the ladies and guys but only 2 Americans are there. The people making a living at this and trying to grow it are the ones being hurt because the money is being diluted.

Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2005, 7:21 AM Reply   
Sweet pic, Hahn.

You have good points, Natalie, and at first glance I'd agree but now I'm starting to see the broader picture and thinking that maybe this invitation process is also good for advancing our sport by bringing "new" riders to the forefront of wakeboarding. You have to admit that there is a lot of new talent out there, but particularly in the US.

Some of them may not be considered the "best" and a lot of those who are (including any those ladies you listed) do help "grow" our sport, but by helping these less well known riders get exposure it also contributes to that growth.

I'm not neccessarily disagreeing with you, but just offering another perspective - of course, if I rode to pay the bills I would most likely see things much differently.
Old     (tahiti689)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2005, 11:37 PM Reply   
Natalie,

I don't think you realize that we are talking about the " WORLD CUP", so i'm really sorry that ONLY 2 americans were there, but you know a lot of the best riders in the world for men and women are from other countries ( Sanders, weatherall, sharpe, Andrea Fountain, Amber Wing, Chen Lili) so i think it's a great opportunity for these unamerican riders to represent their countries. Some people decline their invitation for whatever reasons, melissa rode in singapore last year, megan mc neil rode in russia, germany so they invite the girls you mentioned but also new coming riders and riders who deserve to be invited like gretchen, and that was a great decision on the IWSF as she got 2nd. For men it's the same, some "unknown" riders killed it the whole week end and had great results (Dan Nott, Morgan Krause...). If you assume the best are the best and no other rider might be one of this group then you don't realise that a sport grows, and wakeboarding is growing fast and has a lot of riders all around the world that are working hard to be on top. That's what the IWSF World Cup is trying to push, promoting new riders and help our sport to grow. The WWA is a great organisation and doing great for wakeboarding, it's a different format that allows everyone to ride in their contests and i think that's perfect to have theses two associations doing two differents things that are complimentary in a way. By the way when you say, " The people making a living at this and trying to grow it are the ones being hurt because the money is being diluted." wake up and realise that all the riders that were there are trying to make wakeboarding a living. Seriously who is gonna go to singapore or another country from the other side of the world just for fun.... I could explain it more but i think you get the point if not i'll explain it a little more.}}
Old     (tahiti689)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2005, 11:50 PM Reply   
I just realized that Natalie was talking about me in a previous message under the name of Jared (Jared ).... You say "Jared said he was selected and what has he ridden in"... are you serious, i rode every single stop of the pro tour, IWSF world cup, Australian Pro tour,European pro tour, The World Games, i do almost 25 contests every season and when you talk about the nationals qualifying people sorry that i'm not american which means i don't have to ride nationals which i didn't do this year for the first time.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-28-2005, 12:13 AM Reply   
jesson, now that you got that out of the way, when are we riding?

tell gretchen i said "waaaaaaaassssssuuuuuuup!"
Old     (bulldog_peach)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-28-2005, 4:41 AM Reply   
jesson- sorry, I did not know it was you. And I will agree with some your points but two sanctioning groups and 2 pro series hurts the sport. If it was amateur it would be different but it is not good for the sport. We won't get the major sponsors or TV with them competing.

i
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-28-2005, 6:14 AM Reply   
As a point of fact Maeghan Major and Tara Hamilton were both "invited" but declined. Cost associated with travel to Singapore combined with the time away from college classes kept Maeghan from seriously considering it (not to mention the prize money was 1/2 of what was promised 2 years ago).
Old     (tahiti689)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-28-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Wats up joe,

yes gretchen, ricky g and i are still riding everyday pretty much. Just give me a call whenever.