Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Donski)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
%50 of boat owners I've met say they change their vdrive and trans fluid according to the owner’s manual. The other %50 say they never change it because it's a waste of money...

What about you? Do you think it's a waste of money? Or a mandatory procedure? I want some opinions on this.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-22-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
Trans fluid annually (it only costs a few bucks).

My Walter V-drive says change 30wt. straight oil only after first 100 hours and then every 500 hours thereafter. Says it right on the plate on the v-drive unit. Instead, I'll do it very couple of years or 150-200 hours or so.
Attached Images

Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       03-22-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
I do it every year, my trans takes the same oil as the engine, easy to do.
Old     (ladbg)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Change my V drive and Trans anually using sythetic oil. Easy to do and cheap insurance. Buy a vacuum oil extractor it will pay for itself the first time you use it. Suck the oil out through the fill tube measure the amount and refill.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-22-2010, 9:39 PM Reply   
Trans is definetly worth it. I do it a couple times a year. V-drive servicing might be overkill. Those things are pretty bullit proof unless you run em low on oil or they get hot. I do mine a couple times a year, but I like overkill.
Old     (Donski)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2010, 6:18 AM Reply   
Yea well I have 300hrs on mine and I think it's been changed once. I've been neglecting it for awhile. I did my trans last night, it took a whopping 20 minutes to change. I'll probably do my vdrive tonight. Feels good to have peace of mind. I've been nervous about it for awhile. haha.
Thanks ya'll
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-23-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
Guys, not to hijack, but whats the procedure for the trany fluid change? Is there a drain plug?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-23-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
I suck my tranny fluid out of the fill/check hole with a pump attached to my drill.

For the V-drive, I can't get the pump tube all the way to the bottom of the unit (past gearing or whatever inside). Tried, but can't get hardly any oil out. (Can anyone else on the Walter V-drive unit?) So, I drain it using the square-head plug on the bottom aft port-side corner of the unit. Drain it into a plastic pan that takes several empties to get all the oil out. So, I hold the plug while draining, re-plug while I empty my plastic drain pan, un-plug again to drain... repeat (about 3x) until the V-drive unit runs dry. Not really that hard and I know that I got all the oil out.

Last edited by ottog1979; 03-23-2010 at 7:51 AM. Reason: add
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       03-23-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
I change my tranny fluid one every year. It is a few bucks for fluid so why not do it? There is a drain plug but you can't get to it. I use a drill pump and suck the fluid out of the fill hole (you get about 95% of the fluid).

The V-drive has a plug that is easy to get to and oil for the v-drive is cheap. Why not do it. The tranny is about a 10 min job (which includes clean up) and the v drive is near the same. 20 min and a few bucks of tranny fluid and oil is worth it to me.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
^^^^ You guys are funny. The drain plug should be on the bottom of the v-drive pan(square head). I take a plastic trash bag (lawn/leaf) and put it under the v-drive then pull it up around the v-drive as much as possible. Then remove the drain plug and let it drain. Becarefull whe removing the not to snag it on anything. I do mine like this with no problems at all quick and easy.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-24-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
I change all fluids in mine every year before I store it for the winter. Cheap insurance if you ask me.