Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-05-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I know this has been discussed lately but I'm curious what type of buffing pads people are using to get oxidation out... I have a nice Dewalt buffer (DW849). Last year I used wool bonnets and they worked ok but I think I want to try the foam pads. Last year I used McGuire's diamond cut and final cut, if there is anything that works better let me know.

I can't seem to find anything locally so I need to order online, and links would be helpful.
Old     (rugdr)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-06-2007, 5:38 AM Reply   
As far as links go here are a few that I order from that are really good. Good prices and really fast shipping.

www.autogeek.net
www.detailcity.com (also check out their forum for any tips)
www.premiumautocare.com
www.bigwhitemarine.com

I just ordered a dual action polisher from Autogeek with all the different types of pads. It is the non Porter Cable one, but it is just like it, but a little nicer version, more adjustability and counter weight already attached. It is also on sale this month. On their site it has a great tutorial on which pad to use for which application and you can order accordingly. A dual action is a lot better because you run a smaller risk of messing up the gelcoat by burning it. If you have experience with the Dewalt then go for it (that is actually what I had first before the DA polisher), but I just wanted something that I knew was extremely safe for my boat.

Also check the search for Grant's writeup on How to buff gelcoat. He did a great job of explaining and he even took pictures. Good luck!
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-06-2007, 6:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for the information Rugdr... I have read Grant's write up a few times, and I was really just looking for specific information on which pad that I should use. I'll check your links out...
If anyone else has info please let me know...
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-06-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
I use a wool pad for buffing with compound( EZ-1 hi gloss clean cut).

A foam pad for polishing with (3m perfect- it 2) foam polishing pad glaze - dark

Then a good wax. I use Maguires.

Last some 303 protectant.

That has worked great for me. I wax it and 303 it every other time out and it looks like new.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-06-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
Habor Freight has velcro backed pads in all varieties for under $10.

(Message edited by OlskoolTige on November 06, 2007)
Old     (oldschoolmalibu)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-06-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 6:23 am:

I use a wool pad for buffing with compound( EZ-1 hi gloss clean cut).

A foam pad for polishing with (3m perfect- it 2) foam polishing pad glaze - dark

Then a good wax. I use Maguires.

Last some 303 protectant.

That has worked great for me. I wax it and 303 it every other time out and it looks like new.

What he said.....
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-06-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
I use 3M white foam pads with rubbing compound for scratch or oxidation removal, a grey pad for finishing polish and wax application and a wool pad for final buffing.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-06-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
I use a wool pad for cutting (compound) and foam pad for polishing (glaze).
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-07-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
Last year I used terry cloth cotton bonnets, they work really good to cut through the oxidation. I did go through quite a few though cuz the back of my boat was tore up.