Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-29-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Really couldn't believe it!. Went out for a run today after tuneup at local lake and could not believe what i saw today, power turns!!!!. It must be the NEW THING. Not one or two boats, it seemed like all. There were't that many boats but the water was jacked up! There needs to be something done!!!Spread the word so our lakes remain rideable.........
Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-29-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
Just got back from a six week road trip visiting various lakes. One thing I noticed was the majority of drivers doing power turns. Not just I/O's, but inboards with decent riders all doing power turns. I agree, spread the word. NO POWER TURNS!
Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-29-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
I know, people do it all the time. It has become the new tubing.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-29-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
did u say anything 2 them or did u just let them turn the water up to crap...it starts with u...if u know whats up try to help everyone out. talk to the boat(s)very nice and gentle...smooth and soft,talk to them about the way they drive...dont tell them, they wil get mad and fights break out...ask geoff

End of the mARCH is commin...

(Message edited by deltawakerider on July 29, 2006)
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-29-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
I tried to explain to my mom the other day. but she said it didnt matter....women...
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-29-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
I made my daughters watch "The Book" so they could get pick up some tips on boating, so now every time I make a power turn (very infrequently)they yell at me. Hell, they even yell at me if I turn left to go back and get the rider!! They say "...you are supposed to turn to the drivers side and approach the rider from the driver side Dad!"

Sean
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-29-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
"Not just I/O's, but inboards with decent riders all doing power turns"

I guess us I/O drivers are not the only idiots out on the water
Old    ndf3000            07-29-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
what do you guys mean by powerturns?
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
yea someone tell me what a powerturn is so i dont do it
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-30-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
If you have to ask, you're probably doing it

Big powerful turns that send rollers up the river/lake, usually when you pick up a downed skier. As opposed to stopping, turning the boat, then going back. Always try to send rollers towards the banks, not open water.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-30-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
This will always be an issue. The only way to minimize this is to educate drivers by making people who operate boats have a license. I know crazy isnt it.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-30-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Always try to send rollers towards the banks, not open water.

There's no reason for producing rollers at all when picking up a downed rider. As soon as the rider falls, slow the boat to idle then make the turn to pick him/her up still going at idle.

It may take a little longer but you don't screw up the water for everyone else, you save gas, save wear on the boat, you don't swamp your rider - and besides, that extra time is usually a benefit to the rider if he/she just had a big crash.
Old     (stef)      Join Date: May 2002       07-30-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
this is an internationnal concern, we have the same problem here in switzerland
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-30-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
my x-stat wont do power turns. Even so, they trash on your steering like crazy.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-30-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
xstar might not, but i saw an x15 do one!!!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
every boat, jetski can do powerturns. it doesnt matter how fast your boat goes or how well it turns. anytime the driver turns the boat around at any more than idle speed is a powerturn. and the worst possible speed to do it is around 10 miles an hour when the vessle isa trrowing the largest rollers.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       07-30-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
People that like doing power turns always use the "i have to get back to my rider really quick so someone else doesnt run them over" excuse. i say bull because it only takes about 10 seconds more to get your rider without the power turn - i timed it once. Here is how i instruct people to drive:
1. When rider falls slow the boat down, dont pull it back immediately making the photographer fall.
2. Put it in neutral, then count to 5 slowly, this allows your wake to roll by so you dont swamp the nose.
3. Put it in gear and turn around and start heading toward the driver. You can speed it up a bit to get back to him as it is pretty slow if you idle all the way back to him.
4. If the rider is finished approach him slow lyand kill the motor before you get to him.
5. Don't put the boat in reverse to stop it, i hate it when people do this; its hard on the transmission.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-30-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
Power turns have gone international?

We better involve the UN...
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-31-2006, 5:31 AM Reply   
"5. Don't put the boat in reverse to stop it, i hate it when people do this; its hard on the transmission."

Is this the common concensus? I routinely idle up to a rider, put it in neutral for a few seconds then use reverse to stop the boat.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-31-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
""5. Don't put the boat in reverse to stop it, i hate it when people do this; its hard on the transmission."

Is this the common concensus? I routinely idle up to a rider, put it in neutral for a few seconds then use reverse to stop the boat."

I've always done it, and everyone that I ride with has.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2006, 5:51 AM Reply   
Here is the biggest reason not to power turn:

According to my read of the USCG 2004 stats on fatalities - most downed skiers were killed by the boat that was towing them. The power turn ended up being rider in a blender with the prop. Only two fallen skiers were killed by other boats. The evidence I could find pointed to riding in congested water for one and riding after dark for the other.

Do not kill your rider. Do NOT power turn. Dead slow when picking up a fallen rider!
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-31-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
""5. Don't put the boat in reverse to stop it, i hate it when people do this; its hard on the transmission."

Is this the common concensus? I routinely idle up to a rider, put it in neutral for a few seconds then use reverse to stop the boat."

I've always done it, and everyone that I ride with has.

Same here. I noticed point 2 said to put in neutral. Well that's an extra gear change (and hence wear on transmission) which isn't strictly necessary.
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 5:54 AM Reply   
yea i always do that too... like up to docks and stuff... i have a 1988 stingray I/O and thats all my dad ever did with it before he gave it to me. so for 18 years that tranny has held up to it... maybe its different on inboards though. i dont know.. what bugs me is when people are pulling up to a dock and they get speed and then kill the boat thinking its going to slow it down and then they scramble to hold it away from the dock.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Going to reverse from a dead slow will not damage the tranny in any way. If you go from 30 mph to full reverse, you may put some stress on it. Most boat trannys are built the same in forward and reverse.
Old     (wakekid72501)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
Power Turns are use to get to injured riders quickly.
Old    deltahoosier            07-31-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
Actually power turning will actually hurt a injured person more by throwing rollers on them.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-31-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
The guy that always gives me a pull does some crazy power turns. I think it is sort of a macho thing to do for him. He feels the 300 plus horsepower kickin in as he whips his X-30 around the lake. I tried to talk to him about it, but i dont want to offend him... after all, he is inviting me out on HIS boat
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
Make a simple request - if I fall, could you please pick me up dead slow? I am just a bit nervous about boats approaching and have a hard time with the rollers. Just frame is as a polite safety concern. Almost nobody is a jerk to a person with a legit safety concern.

Getting to an injured rider quickly - hmmmm. I have nearly a decade in the USCG and just a bit of experience in rescues. The USCG never, ever, comes to an injured person in the water with power on and producing a wake. If they are having pain, they will be gasping uncontrollably. Why would you be so cruel to put their head underwater and make the situation worse. It takes less than 10 seconds to do it right and unless they were not wearing flotation and are heading toward the bottom, you may create a water in the lung problem for them by the power turn and approach.

Educate yourself and actually help the injured, not make the situation worse.

Most of the time it is sheer ignorance. Sometimes it is arrogance. All of the time it is dangerous and stupid. In over 30 years of on the water experience, I have never had to power turn to attend to a faller rider or rescue someone - and I have pulled quite a few rescues.

This is covered more under state jurisdiction, but if it were under my jurisdiction, I would cite the pilot for violation of the basic speed law if they injured a fallen skier. Depending upon the circumstance, a citation for failure of lookout may also be appropriate. You MUST have the faller rider in view AT ALL TIMES when you are manuvering.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-31-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
"2. Put it in neutral, then count to 5 slowly, this allows your wake to roll by so you dont swamp the nose."

For the really impatient person, instead of counting as you come off plane turn to your left, then back to your right to pick up the rider, you'll turn inside of your big rollers, and don't have to count.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-31-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
I only had to power turn once. We had been riding with another boat in a bay for about 1/2hour. We started pulling our rider, they were quite far behind us when they started pulling theres. My rider fell, I looked around and could see the other driver looking behind watching his rider. I yelled, honked my horn and pulled our boat in front of my rider. The other driver looked up in time to see us and turn away with a horrified look on his face. I don't think he would have seen our rider if I had not pulled in front of her as fast as I could. Scariest thing that has ever happend to me as well.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-31-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
I saw this dude power turn on VIC (delta) three times to pick up his rider. The waves from the boat were tossing the rider/boat around such that the rider was unable to grab the rope and each time, the boat driver powered out another 360 to pick him up. In the end the boat was nearly swamped, the rider was nearly smashed and the driver figured he was a stud. It was so funny.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
You should always turn to the side your helm is on (typically starboard), so you have an unobstructed view of the fallen rider. Only if you have a boom and lookout on the port side of the boat should you ever attempt a turn to port.

I know I may sound like a about this. However, if you have seen the carnage I have seen on this, you would be, too. There is no excuse for running over you own rider.

Tanya - good job. The other guy did not have an adaquate lookout.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-31-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Couple weeks ago we had some other boaters on the boat and they asked why we turn around so slow. I explained and they were enlightened and realized they were power turning and should do so no longer. There. I have done my part. "Each one teach one"
Old     (andyh)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-31-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
powerturners always jack up the best water
Old    wblwake            08-01-2006, 12:12 AM Reply   
To bad that my lake is already fooked up by all the dang tubers on the lake. All I need is a warm day and the lake is messed up for a week.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-01-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Death...Taxes....Power Turners!
Old    swass            08-01-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Power turns were the name of the game on Saturday. There were not all that many boats on the water, but it was still a bathtub thanks to the wallies.
Old    jpmd24            08-01-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
Seriously, nothing is worse than a power turn in calm water. I have had the hardest time getting my own driver to not power turn. I guess he is old school and won't listen.
Old     (jbeau)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
Richard,
I was in the channel at elsinore the other day and the patrol comes in with a hugh power turn like he owns the lake with a grin on his face. We all just shook our heads on the boat, gave him the paperwork and watched him power turn out of the channel. Someone like that knows the difference but still does it anyways. We should've scolded him, but didn't. His power turn was more like a power trip.
Anyhow, hit me up if you ever need a third in the mornings. I'd love to get the morning pulls going again. 3102136365
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-01-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
The thing that sucks the most about it is, when they are on patrol, they do own the lake.
There is no doubt that they were doin it to piss you off and I am shur it worked.