Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-13-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
what do you suggest for a neoprene top for cold water riding? it's not quite dry suit weather and i'd like to get the top first before the whole wetsuit. what mil, brand, model and location in the seattle area :-).

thanks,
-Kim
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
Get the Guru. I think it has 1.3 sleeves with 2mm body...or something like that. I wear it well into November. Sometimes over the top of my spring suit.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-13-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
thanks...i don't know what's carried locally as i haven't gone shopping yet but i'll check out the website :-).
-Kim
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-13-2005, 4:04 PM Reply   
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail.lasso?cat=11&man=Hyperlite&sku=HY_BQDPB

I like mine so far.}
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-13-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
thanks for the tip and omg...what a sweet boat you have :-).
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-13-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
I love my o'neill Hammer 2:1. It's a half zip and it's a little more heavy duty than a gooru. I don't think they make 'em anymore though.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       09-13-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
Kim,
Check out Wileys in Seattle. I just picked up a long sleeve O Neal... 2 or 2.5 mm I think. It has a smooth finish and is wind proof. I like it much better than my old one… cutting the wind makes a BIG difference. They have a good selection for sizes too.

What do you mean wet suit… most of us in WA go straight to dry suits with shorts and t-shirts underneath some time in October.

Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-13-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
I have a stock of .5mm neoprenes. Work great for taking the chill off.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-13-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
thanks...so that's what i was thinking...get a top and go to drysuit. full wetsuits are binding and not cool (he-he)...so i was thinking of just getting a neoprene to cut the wind and take the initial chill of the temps as the water is getting a little colder. i'll have to check around to see who's carrying what and since i've never been but heard so much about hit up wileys. hey jeff...i'm up for fall and winter riding if you need a third. can i add you to my nw wake yahoo group?
-Kim
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
I have a 3 mil wetsuit I use for diving. would this work for boarding and will it keep me warm?
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-13-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
I use a ripcurl reversible 2:1 top. They are the best for wakeboarding. I ride trunks with that almost all year round.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-13-2005, 6:41 PM Reply   
i'm looking to get a 4/3 for surfing next year and feel that would be sufficient for the lake too if i need something before the drysuit. so...this is why i want the top only for now. i'd say wear what you have and i'll probably get something light but heavier than a rash guard. thanks all for the suggestions :-). keep them coming aye?
-Kim
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-14-2005, 5:01 AM Reply   
J Rod. Do you have the Gooru LS Crew or the LS Glideskin? Which would you recommend or is the protection the same? Thanks.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-14-2005, 5:26 AM Reply   
I have the Gooru Glide and love it. I think the glideskin blocks the wind better.

While I do have 3/2 wetsuit, I hardly ever use it. I go from heater shirt to drysuit, then back again in the spring.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-14-2005, 6:06 AM Reply   
Cary. How late in the season do you board with the glide? What's your water temp late in the season? I'm west of you in Winston-Salem on Belews Lake. Duke Power has a plant on that lake, so the water stays somewhat warmer?
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-14-2005, 7:42 AM Reply   
Randy, Nov/Dec usually, it really depends on the weather and water temps. I ride at Belews and Hyco ALOT in the winter though because of the warmer water.

Do you know about WWW.ENDOFROPEGANG.COM ?
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-14-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
Kim, you live in Hunts Point, go down to Adrenaline Watersports in Bellevue and try different tops on to see which one you like the best. See Mike or Michelle they will be glad to help you out
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-14-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
Cary. I've been on the endofropegang site before and can't remember if I've registered. I'd love to ride with peeps better than me for some pointers. Do you pull your boat to Belews or do you have a crew down here you ride with? Never ridden behind an XStar before. I have an '04 Mobius if you need a pull. Let me know dude. Maybe we can hook up.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-14-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Yeh Cary represent the EORG! Randy we rode until late November early December here. I am in Raleigh. We started back in February at Hyco. You should look into Halloween @ Hyco. I am ordering a Jet Pilot F-22. It is all 2mm. That is what one of my best friends has and he loves it.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-14-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
I've got a ripcurl E2 Elasto top for surfing, its quite nice. I recommend it

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail.lasso?cat=11&man=Rip%20Curl&sku=RI_syY29

Although, to be quite honest, for wakeboarding I go straight from trunks to drysuit.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
The new Guru glideskin is sick. J-Rod and I both have the older style long sleeve, raw neoprene tops. They work killer. No zippers, no gimmicks, no hassles. Had mine for 2 years. I love wearing it for early morning and late evening sets. Come fall I usually jump right into a 3/2 full suit, but I wear the guru and trunks for about 2 months in the spring until the air warms up.
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-14-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
Jet Pilot F-22 Flight Jacket all 2mm, cheaper then guru. MSRP 70.00 wakeside is selling them for 55 bones.

Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-14-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
Check Wileys. Oniell makes a Hammer for women (2/1 with zipper). Guess the zipper is a personal choice. I think it makes it easier to get in and out of (always helping pull the non-zips off). Wife has one and loves it. I use mine with some neo shorts into October on LKWA. You should go out with Laci, Cliff, Dave & me sometime. The boat's on the lift just south of Seward Park, Always looking for another driver/third/fourth. New boat coming soon hook up with us now and get in early. HA! :-)
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-14-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
thanks for the feedback...i figure since i like to support my local shop that i will need to see what's available. i'm going to check out sturtevants and adrenaline in bellevue, cope & macphetres in renton, wileys in seattle and i'm supposed to get a $50 gift card for gi joes so i could use that if i had to. and yeah notidad i'd love to go out anytime as i'm not stopping just cause it gets cold and there is snow in the mountains. i can't believe how most people around the seattle area have put this sport to bed since labor day. water is life for me so just let me know when and i'll be there :-).

thanks,
-Kim
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-15-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
All those places have good stuff. Are your going to Pateros this w/e? If not we'll be back on the water next week sometime. We've switched from early mornings to afternoons. I got your NWWAKE forum. Talk soon.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-15-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
i'm working sat am then judging a bmx comp that afternoon. i didn't know about it but tell me next week when we go ride aye :-). have fun and thanks.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-20-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
so i picked up a gooru oneil at gi joes cause i had that $50 gift card and it's a small for $60...is that a decent price? how is it supposed to fit as they didn't have a medium to compare it to.

thanks,
-Kim
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-20-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
Sounds like a good price to me. You were only out of pocket $10 right and you bought locally. Wakeside is on sale for $74.95 so it seems you got a really good deal. Sorry, don't know anything about the gooru fit.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-20-2005, 3:01 PM Reply   
yeah 10 bucks so can't go wrong i guess. it was marked for $79 but i noticed sale stickers that had been ripped off for $55 and since retail policy is lowest price shown...i got the deal :-). i'm going to another store to try on a meduim just in case before i wear it though.
-Kim
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       09-20-2005, 5:24 PM Reply   
Wow. How many posts does it take to pick out a new top? JK.

Yes that’s a decent price. Not sure I count GI Joes as supporting your local wake shops… but not a big deal.

It should be snug enough to not bunch around your elbows or arm pits, or other parts… … it will stretch when wet so if it’s a bit big now.. it will feel too big once you wear it a few times.

The O’Neill Gooru Glideskin is the one I have… and it’s great.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-21-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
yeah i know and gi joes wasn't what i was thinking when saying i wanted to support locally but how can you argue when you are broke and have a free gift card for near the purchase price :-). then a small is it as the sleeves are kind of long already. thanks.
-Kim