Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-17-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
I have a 2003 23ft Malibu XTI and am looking at a 2005 21ft Malibu VLX. The dealer is offering me 34,400 for my XTI and wants 49,900 for the fully loaded VLX...1)How much should I get for my XTI....or is this a good deal and 2)Is is worth it for the wake..thanks
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-17-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
If you want just wake maybe look at a SAN!
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-18-2005, 5:41 AM Reply   
I think you will find the wake behind the VLX to be much better than the XTI. I have a friend how is a malibu dealer and he gets a XTI every year for his boat because he dad also uses it and likes to salom still. Another option would be if you want to stay with malibu would be to go with the V-ride. This has the same hull as the older wakesetters, I am not sure if they changed the hull on the new wakesetters or not, but it could be a option and should price out around 40-42K would be my guess.
I personally don't care for interior layout of the XTI, it seems to isolate the driver a bit by putting all the passangers in the back. Plus it is a pain to try and fill with ballast.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-18-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
Kai: $49,900 out the door? / plus tax & lic?
Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-18-2005, 12:26 PM Reply   
$51,099 out the door
Old    zboomer            02-18-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
You'll have to define "fully loaded." No way a truly "fully loaded" VLX can be had for $50k with trailer. A very nicely optioned one can, but not "fully loaded."

I've been researching, and negotiating VLX prices for two months (have one on order) and I just don't see that happening.
Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-18-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
zboomer- this is my defination of fully loaded.

05 VLX
monsoon 340hp
tandem w/disks
Titan tower

Polished stainless steel turndown exhaust tips
sony CD/MP3 player, remote, 4 Sony 220watt Xplode speakers, and I-pod plug in
Perfect Pass digital wakeboard pro
Halogen docking lights
3 vent heater
Bow ballast system
2 pair pull up cleats
Fiberglass swim platform
alloy wheel upgrade
Welded spare tire carrier
Swing tongue
Caster wheels
Custom Cover
Custom sport shroud (red dash)
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-18-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
Kai - you only have $1,200.00 in tax and lic fees?

Boomer
I'm with you, too cheap for that set up and mine's on order too with a few dollars less than his in options for a sale price (without t&l) for his OTD price.
kai - if you can really get your set up for about 21% off MSRP, which is what that is if you pay the same sales tx we do in CA, take and run like the wind.

On second thought, give me your dealer contact info and I will save 5 grand and order with him.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-18-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
My dealer has an 05 VLX with the same options, Illusion X, plus colored deck & hull for $52999
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-19-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
OTD?
Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-19-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Here is the purchase agreement....the boat also has tower speakers and lights..
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-19-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
Kai,

That looks about right. I wonder if other dealers are going to appreciate your posting, if they have recently quoted or sold a boat for more. I've always just negotiated my deals and kept them to myself, no need to burn any bridges.

At least your colors are different than mine, we'll have very similar boats aside from that, maybe I'll run into on the east side this summer

Troy
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-19-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
Troy brought up a good point. let's face it, not everyone has the same negotiating power or prowess. You will not catch me saying how much I paid for my 05 VLX, might never get a good deal again.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-19-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
An observation on the WW community:

I think it's kind of humorous that people will say they got X-brand of boat for X-amount of dollars, and everyone calls BS and says "prove it" because they don't think someone can really get a price like that.

Kai is the first person I've seen post a sales agreement in 5 years here on WW. People questioned his math and he came with proof. Then people get negative on him for doing it.

Sometimes you just can't win.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-19-2005, 5:11 PM Reply   
Matt: there are people that are always going to be pessimistic maybe they got F#$T on their deal and want to make other people feel bad about their purchase. Kai: good job in getting a good price , If you work hard to negotiate with the dealer you will get a fair sale price.

Why do we have to pay the dealers asking price, if the dealer wont budge, just try another location, theres always someone out there that wants to sell a Malibu for a good price and not RIP off people.

(Message edited by burbanized on February 19, 2005)
Old     (wyblea)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-19-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
I've always thought this site was used to help people out....so helping someone to get a good deal isn't a bad thing.
Most dealers want to be known as a business that gives good deals; thus, wouldn't punish their customers for sharing their good experience.
see you on the lake in the next few weeks....

(Message edited by wyblea on February 19, 2005)
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       02-19-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
Careful fellas...Don't S@$t where you eat.
Old    zboomer            02-20-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
Kai, that's a good deal, and close to what I've seen for every good, negotiated deal. You did well.

I only was asking, because "fully loaded" is often missused around here. I apolgize if I came across as questioning your numbers.

There are many other options you could add, so it's not truly "fully loaded" which was my only point.

A few other things you could add:

Hammerhead 383ci (400hp) engine
Colored Hull
Colored Deck
Many more stereo options, including amps, more speakers, tower speakers, subwoofer, CD changer, Transom remote, etc.
Hot-water Shower
Tower-mounted Bimini
Tower lights
Depth meter
GPS dash option
Dual batteries with isolator switch
Pop-up bow light
Illusion-X tower
CFT Blade Tower
Stainless cup inserts
Carpet Saver
Various canvas options, snap-on bow cover, toneau cover, etc.
Heated driver's seat
Bow-lifting eye
Flush-kit (internal, or through-transom)
Stainless polished wedge upgrade
Pylon, chrome upgrade

A few others I probably can't remember. :-)

If you had all these options, except ones which are obviously mutually exclusive, it would be "fully loaded," and obviously be more than $50k.

At any rate, your color scheme looks awesome! Post some pics when you get it. Congrats.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-20-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
Kai,

I don't see board racks. I almost forgot to add when doing my order. So just in case I thought I would remind you.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
bryan call me
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       03-02-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
stay with the 23xti its way cooler i like the wake(friend has one) its big with wedge,MLS and a couple of people in it.
-alex-
Old     (abc33660)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-02-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
I just don't get this ... maybe someone could explain it but why are people afraid of what the dealers would think if we posted the purchase price of actual deals.

Consider this ... dealers are professionals at selling boats. How many boats does one individual purchase in a year? Most of us probably will only buy a boat every five to seven years. How many boats does a dealer sell in a year. Well up here in BC I think that most dealers only sell about 30 to 50 boats but down in California I would guess that number would be in the hundreds.

Always remember that a dealer is selling a commodity. They do not have any emotional attachments to the boats. We become attached to our purchases. If a dealer does not like what you are offering for a boat there is always someone else who will pay what they want. No emotional attachment to that dream boat. Remember that when you make you next deal.

So why should we fear pissing off the dealers if we post the numbers on a good deal. I think that this is what these discussion boards should do. Help someone figure out what a good deal is and be able to level out the playing field to a little extent. REMEMBER NO EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT ON THE PART OF THE DEALER.

When you are comparing your deal to someone else alway remember that no two deals are ever the same. Up here in BC there are only a very limited number of dealers and only a few brands are represented therefore the dealers really have the upper hand and we pay a premium. Down in California where there are more dealer it is more competitive and probably the prices will reflect that.

Also the prices will be different if you are trading in a boat vs. purchasing without a trade in. Dealers can play around with trade in prices.

And unlike cars there is usually not multiple numbers of dealers selling the same manufacturer in the same area and that further tips the scales in the boat dealer's favour.

We should start a permanent thread where everyone post their deal in detail. Only then would we be able to negotiate more fairly with the dealers.

By the way I'll be the first to admit that I'm lousy at grinding the last penny out of a dealer. I firmly believe that a fair deal is the best way to begin any relationship with a dealer. If you grind them down to the last penny they usually remember that and will be less likely to bend should a problem arise or you need a favour.

I just purchased my second boat and I know that I left more than a few dollars on the table. I also know that I feel that I got a reasonable deal and I'm now going to see if my dealer is willing to treat me fairly as I've done a very stupid thing. Right before taking delivery (I purchased the boat back in November but I don't take possession until March) I notice that the maker of my towers (Sampson Sports) have come up with a great new design and I want it. Now my dealer has already installed a bunch of stuff on my tower and I await his numbers on how much it's going to cost me to change towers. I hope he remembers that I left a little something on the table in the original deal.

At the ultimate conclusion of my purchase I will disclose my deal in detail and how that other will too.
Old     (abc33660)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-02-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
I just don't get this ... maybe someone could explain it but why are people afraid of what the dealers would think if we posted the purchase price of actual deals.

Consider this ... dealers are professionals at selling boats. How many boats does one individual purchase in a year? Most of us probably will only buy a boat every five to seven years. How many boats does a dealer sell in a year. Well up here in BC I think that most dealers only sell about 30 to 50 boats but down in California I would guess that number would be in the hundreds.

Always remember that a dealer is selling a commodity. They do not have any emotional attachments to the boats. We become attached to our purchases. If a dealer does not like what you are offering for a boat there is always someone else who will pay what they want. No emotional attachment to that dream boat. Remember that when you make you next deal.

So why should we fear pissing off the dealers if we post the numbers on a good deal. I think that this is what these discussion boards should do. Help someone figure out what a good deal is and be able to level out the playing field to a little extent. REMEMBER NO EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT ON THE PART OF THE DEALER.

When you are comparing your deal to someone else alway remember that no two deals are ever the same. Up here in BC there are only a very limited number of dealers and only a few brands are represented therefore the dealers really have the upper hand and we pay a premium. Down in California where there are more dealer it is more competitive and probably the prices will reflect that.

Also the prices will be different if you are trading in a boat vs. purchasing without a trade in. Dealers can play around with trade in prices.

And unlike cars there is usually not multiple numbers of dealers selling the same manufacturer in the same area and that further tips the scales in the boat dealer's favour.

We should start a permanent thread where everyone post their deal in detail. Only then would we be able to negotiate more fairly with the dealers.

By the way I'll be the first to admit that I'm lousy at grinding the last penny out of a dealer. I firmly believe that a fair deal is the best way to begin any relationship with a dealer. If you grind them down to the last penny they usually remember that and will be less likely to bend should a problem arise or you need a favour.

I just purchased my second boat and I know that I left more than a few dollars on the table. I also know that I feel that I got a reasonable deal and I'm now going to see if my dealer is willing to treat me fairly as I've done a very stupid thing. Right before taking delivery (I purchased the boat back in November but I don't take possession until March) I notice that the maker of my towers (Sampson Sports) have come up with a great new design and I want it. Now my dealer has already installed a bunch of stuff on my tower and I await his numbers on how much it's going to cost me to change towers. I hope he remembers that I left a little something on the table in the original deal.

At the ultimate conclusion of my purchase I will disclose my deal in detail and hope that other will too.
Old     (wyblea)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-04-2005, 10:47 PM Reply   
Makes sense to me....
Old     (wyblea)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-07-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-07-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
Adam-

Check your email!

Robert
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
I guarantee the 2005 VLX will have a better wake. They totally redesigned the whole boat, hull, interior space, ballast system etc. With stock ballast the wake is great, add another 600 pounds and it is off the hook!! Personally I would say it's worth it simply for the fact that you will have a true V Drive and the interior comforts that come with that. As for your XTI value, I don't know if you will get much more than that. A friend just sold on '04 VLX w/ 80hrs for $43k. You probably could get more from some schmo, but your dealer is offering to take it off your hands, easy peasy.
Old    yellojello            03-15-2005, 3:16 PM Reply   
ok. i hope i don't upset some people as per the discussion of this thread.

i am looking at an '05 VLX as well.

my question is, how do you deal with dealers? is it best to compete prices between different dealerships? or different manufacturers? for example, i've been quoted an x-10 with most options OTD for around 59k. a fully loaded VLX has been quoted at 59k as well.

i'm guessing you got a better deal because they are goign to make a good profit on your XTI, so in return give you a good price? that's my guess.

this is California asking price. haven't negotiated much yet. $59,964 OTD.

05 VLX
Monsoon 340hp
05 Extreme Tandem Trailer
Illusion X Tower
Bimini Top
Board Racks
Lightning Tower Speakers

Sony CD/MP3 player, remote, 6 Speaker Sony 220watt Xplode + powered Amp
Perfect Pass digital wakeboard pro
3 vent heater
2 pair pull up cleats
Fiberglass swim platform
Boat Cover
Dual Battery Installation with Switch

I don't want any flaming, just friendly responses who are willing to help others think before laying down 60k. If it was for a $500 digital camera, maybe i wouldn't ask people for good advice.
Old    zboomer            03-16-2005, 8:55 AM Reply   
My '05 VLX (just arrived) has at least that many options, I think more, and cost WAY less than $59k. You need to negotiate a lot more. That should be a little over $50k with those options (not including tax, etc.)

If you're comparing to an X10, it isn't near the wakeboard boat a VLX is. It's a Maristar with a tower.

YES, you can negotiate prices against other manufacturers. Tell them, "I can get the X10 for $xx amount, if you don't beat it, see ya later."

That's how boat buying works, heh.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-16-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
you won't get that boat otd for a just over 50, but i would see what you can knock off. Just get the msrp on it and take 10-15%. My guess would be around 53-56 before tax is where it will fall.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-16-2005, 8:53 PM Reply   
i meant 53 without tax, 56 with it. Big things to look for are freight and prep. Usually you can get them thrown in and I have seen dealers charge from $500-$3000 for freight and 0-1500 for prep, so if they are high on both you can be up to $4500 right there.
Old    zboomer            03-17-2005, 7:03 AM Reply   
I refuse to pay freight, or prep on a boat. If they want to sell me a product, they'll get it to their shop on their own dime, or figure it into the base price on the boat.

Do you pay the 7-11 separately what it costs to get the Snickers bar to the store? Not.

I'm also not paying any "make ready" fees after the fact. Again, I'm buying a finished product, not one half done, so I have to pay more to finish it.

These costs obviously exists, but a good dealer eats them in the profit of the boat. If they tried slapping that crap on my deal after I negotiated a price, I'd be history.

It varies by region, but you COULD get that boat he mentions for around $50k in most locations, including prep and freight (but not tax).

Waterski America in Dallas floor stock are optioned almost exactly like that, and sell for $50k without even negotiating. I negotiated a similar discount at my local dealer (Central TX Watersports) as well.

In addition to his options, I also got:

Hot water shower
MLS-Bow ballast system
Custom-colored hull
Custom-colored deck
Sport shroud (colored dash)
GPS dash option
Carpet saver
Stainless halogen docking lights
Pop-up bow light
Depth finder

Negotiated to $52,500 including freight and prep. WSA was actually about $400 higher, but in the same area.

Admittedly price is very regional however, but I've seen guys in CA getting similar deals if they try.

Bottom line is I think $60k is a rip.