Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cbkaboom)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-16-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about buying the RPM based perfect pass cruise. I did a search on here and found a whole ton of debate over whether or not the RPM based perfect pass would work in a weighted wake boat. I thought I'd ask the question again though since most of those threads were from 2004/2005. I've got a 1988 Supra Sunsport that I usually weight with about 2100lbs of total weight. Does anyone know if they still make the speed based perfect pass cruise with the paddle wheel or has that been discontinued?

I'm also debating over a prop. There seems to be a lot of debate over whether 3 blade props are better than 4 blade props for wakeboarding. Does anyone have experience with either OJ or ACME props on an 1988 Sunsport?

All help is appreciated!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
I cant really help with all your questions, or specifics with your 88 sunsport, but I think its been determined that the 4 blade is better than the 3 blade.

I dont think im wrong, but if I am please let me know guys! I know you will haha.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-16-2010, 9:44 PM Reply   
Typically 3 blade is for 1:1 ratios. 4 blade is for 1:146 ratio v-drives or trannys. Talk to acme or oj about what boat you have and what weight you run. They should be able to help
Old     (cbkaboom)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
Awesome I'll give them a shout today then. Anyone able to chime in on whether or not the perfect pass cruise will work???
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2010, 6:29 AM Reply   
I had the perfect pass cruise in my 99 super air when I first got the boat. Dosent hold speed that well. I upgraded to pp pro a couple of years ago and been very happy. Im not sure if you can get the paddle wheel anymore. ITs all gps based now. However I have heard great things about the stargazer pp. They say it holds the speed better in the turns. Mine etiher slows way down or speeds up like crazy.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-17-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
I've got a '92 Sunsport, currently running with ~1500 lbs and a low pitch 3-blade prop--call ACME and they'll recommend a prop based on your needs. I've got PP with the paddle wheel and we often switch back and forth between RPM and speed based control. Biggest problem with RPM is getting up to speed--it takes a lot longer in RPM mode. The pull also feels different between the two. Once up to speed, RPM mode feels more forgiving because the boat can drag a little when you build line tension.
Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-17-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
I use the PP pro in my 01 Super Air in RPM mode. Works great! I ride with 1600 pounds in the boat and it is super consistant. Within 2/10 of a mile per hour. Plus there is no constant changing of speed like in wakeboard mode, so your gas will go along way. Just my 2 cents. But if the option is there, definately hit up the stargazer system.

Last edited by kent_harmon; 06-17-2010 at 7:19 AM.
Old     (cbkaboom)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
Got a response from ACME suggesting the ACME 913, which from what I'm reading seems to be a pretty hyped prop for these boats. It's a 13x10.5, .080 cup prop but I've got a 13x11 (no idea on cup) prop on my boat right now...anyone think dropping 0.5 in pitch will make enough of a difference to justify dropping the $400???
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
I have a 87 sunsport, run around 1500lbs, had the stock prop 13x13, I picked up the acme 913 10.5x13 this prop rip's!!! Made my boat seem I it had a big hp motor in it... Take off is great, up on plane rite a way! Lost a lillte on top end, but who's going wfo. best upgrade I have done.... Supra happy
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-19-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
Cory, if your 13X11 is a CNC machined prop it might not be worth getting the ACME 913. If it's a cast prop then, yes, you will notice the difference. It is nice having a spare but that;s a fair bit of change to use on a spare.
The choice between a 3 or 4 blade has more to do with efficiency at different pitches. With a shallow pitch on a 1:1 drive ratio the 4 blade makes more turbulence and is not as efficient. On higher pitch props the 4 blade is helpful.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-19-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Get the ACME no matter what you do. There is no comparison.
Old     (cbkaboom)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-20-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
Problem I have is that the prop just came with the boat...I don't think its stamped with a name or manufacturer or anything either just 13x11. I have a feeling it's probably cast but honestly have no idea.