Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a contact for the current owner of Grant's Phat Pond in Hancock, WI?

That place closed down a few years ago and I want to buy it and open it back up. A phone number would be great. Thanks
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-05-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
contact wazzy53@aol.com

He was the last person I know of to talk to the owner, who is not very easy to deal with. (this is the land owner, the guy who actually ran it disappeared somewhere).

PLEASE OPEN IT BACK UP!

www.midwestwakeboarder.com is based out of madison and would be a staunch supporter for you.

I may even consider investing, numbers depending.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-05-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
I would check with Fort Fremont marine. They had Grant at one of their demo days a few years back right when he was ready to open. Good luck!

http://www.fortfremont.com/
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-05-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
The reason that its shut down is that the lake will not hold water. They have to constantly pump water in. On another note its not that long and not wide either. Turning with a weighted boat is pretty scary. i watched one day and they got really close to shore. Best bet is just using a wavehumper.
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Thanks guys
I'll try that email and try to get a starting price if he is willing to sell.

The lake would probably have to be widened( at least at the ends). I believe it was man made that's why it doesn't hold water very.

Here's a pic of the pond when it was open
well.Upload
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-05-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Bill, stay in touch with me on this.....

I think there is a cable park going in the northern complex, and there is potential for one going into the dells area as well.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-05-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
Yeah, somebody sent me an e-mail on this.

I never heard of the PP not holding water, it was lined to limit weeds & leakage. The pump was to keep circulating water to keep it from being stagnate. It also pumped the water out for the winter.

The only thing I would do is make the ends of the lake wider so you could pull a DU w/ a boat. The sliders are in SAD shape, at least they were 2 years ago when I looked at them. I won't go into the whole story as to why PP is closed because dirty laundry does not need to be aired here.

Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-06-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Yeah, that place was pretty decent, but a few modifications in the general layout would have helped it tremendously, plus a little bit more of a stable owner/operator wouldn't have hurt. The "pond" was originally built not for wakeboarding, but instead for use as selling "lake front" property, but that didn't pan out.

I helped construct a few of the sliders there, and some other stuff. I am pretty sure Forrest is correct, in there not being a problem with it holding water. The "pond" was lined and the pump's main purpose was to circulate water. I am guessing that all the sliders would need to be replaced, but who knows...maybe something could be salvaged. Let me know if you get in touch with anyone and what the status is.

www.midwestride.com
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-06-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
Im all about having the Phat Pond back!
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-06-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
I dont know how close that is to plover, wi but it is good to note that you will have significant competion from that place in 2007 when it opens. I would be all for supporting a more wakeboard oriented complex as plover has a cable park and like four competion ponds but the vibe I got from the people working with it was that they cared more about skiing than anything else.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-06-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
plover is very close to hancock I beleive
23 miles if it is the plover in portage county and 82 miles if it is the one in marathon county... I think it is the one in marathon county???
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-06-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
well I support ANYTHING that brings sliders to my area for sure....cable, phat pond, both, you name it.