Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (flaswaliba)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-05-2009, 5:55 AM Reply   
Wow! Yesterday was the first day I had been out riding since early november of last year. That's a five month layoff. I just started boarding, and by the end of last season I was getting great pop, height, great w2ws toeside and heelside with great landings. I also almost landed hs fs 180s and got in a few different grabs. So, I consider last season to me a moderately successful one. But yesterday when I went out I couldn't hardly land heelside w2ws. Should I be discouraged, or is it just the fact that I am probably extremely rusty?

Has anyone else ever had this experience before?

Thanks!!!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-05-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
you will get it back, shouldnt take but a couple sets. First set of the season is a real love/hate relationship.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-05-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
Definitely don't be discouraged. Yesterday was my first day out for the season too. I have been riding for years and every year I am very rusty. Just take your time and work yourself back in to it. On a side note...I can barely move today
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to me and I am at nearly an identical skill level as you and I went to orlando over spring break and my riding was awful. The last time I rode was in October in orlando and I managed to land my first backroll at owc and was feeling good. A couple weeks ago I went back and was going for my first jump of the day, missed the pop,only got across 3/4 of the wake, and then fell. It was crazy. What's weird is it felt like I had to cut so hard to clear the wake heelside and struggled with it in both of my sets but by my second set my toeside jumps were back to normal. I don't even know what to think about that day lol.
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-05-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
Happens all the time you will get it back no problem. Happened to me as well.
Old     (flaswaliba)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-05-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll get back out there and persevere. I guess it's like my golf game; whenever I haven't played in a while, it takes a couple rounds to get it back. Anyone got any pointers?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-05-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
always go for it for the first couple jumps. I never back off, and I know the real diggers are coming. I had two the other day in the first 10 jumps. But I kept after it and didnt think about it. The next set was A LOT better. Then next time I go out I will make it a point to go for probably 90% of what I had last season. Then after that its game on. Those are my pointers after 10 seasons of riding. Oh and no shame here, first set of the season in freaking cold water, I am definately the heelside hero lol. Just to get warmed up and use to the feeling again
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       04-05-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
What is worse is when you had an ACL repair over the winter and are timid about pushing the knee. Everytime I land with my bad knee back on wince a little and it kinda gets in my head.

I guess the same advice would apply in my case. Take it nice and easy and it wil eventually come back to get your confidence up.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-05-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Wow... We rode today for the first time since November, too. It's always a struggle to get back on your game, but it'll come back. I was RUSTY today for sure!!!

Work up the strength on that knee. Your riding will progress in no-time.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-06-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
My advice is start riding switch alot at the beginning of the year, since everything feels awkward, it'll be easier to work on in your mind than later in the year when your regular stance is strong and switch feels so 'wrong'. I guarantee your riding will look better (and your 180s will get consistent) if you improve your switch skills.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-06-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Loren, agreed on the switch riding.

I went out yesterday and had a great first run and it felt really smooth. On my second run I started new tricks I racked the boys, whacked my head, etc. All the way home I wish I just rode switch because my mind wasn't there anymore.

Beginning of the season blues for sure.

It happens Matt so don't worry about it. This is my 5th time out this year and I still feel like my riding sucks compared to last season.
Old     (flaswaliba)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-07-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
I'll have to try to switch riding. I need to work on it anyway. Sometimes when I'm riding switch, I feel like one of those newly birthed horses that is trying to walk for the first time, and I probably look even worse!!! Thanks for the great pointers and encouragement!!!!