Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-05-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
Okay, I've been working on my weight and have lost about 40lbs. I've done this all through running, eating right and being more active. I told myself that I would start P90X (again) when I reached 200#, which places me 10# from my initial goal weight, and should be here in a few weeks to a month. With that said, I am beginning to think through my plan for my next phase of weight loss and physical fitness. And, to add to my thought process, last week we joined the YMCA , for the pool, but now I have access to weights, machines and a "coach".

So here's the thing: I am not going to spend over an hour a day working out and I am not going to be regimented to certain meals and eating certain foods (other than my usual well balanced but light eating habits). At this point, I am also not going to do the AbX or YogaX either. At least not yet. Anyway, I had planned to pick out a couple of workouts and throw them into my cardio that I will continue to do every other day.

My questions are:
1. Does anyone do this (play favorites and forget the rest)?
2. If you do this, what workouts do you suggest?
3. Am I wasting my time if I do not follow P90X to a tee?
4. Should I continue with my cardio since I have been successful with it thus far?
5. Should I try working out with a coach at the Y?

Thanks for your input.
Old    alanp            07-05-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
i do cardio 6 days a week. additionally i follow the p90x weight routines(3x a week). i take the p90x sheets to the gym. i make notes on the sheets so i dont need to follow a video.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2010, 6:08 AM Reply   
When I went through it I stuck to the exact plan for about 4 weeks.... then soccer started up again. So I would just make it all work together. I would usually take out Yoga annd go swimming for like ~2 hours instead.... Yoga was just toooo damn boring.

Then some cardio days I would blow off because of soccer. I figured as long as I had something similar to a workout or could swap it for something more fun (swimming or raquetball).

I never really stuck to the meal plan, just took my usual diet of wings and taco bell and tried to make it a little healthier....

long story short, I did NOT follow it to a tee and still saw results... I think the best part of P90x for me was having a consistant reminder that I HAD some exercise to do, if I'm left to just work out when I want, it won't get done.... if I have scheduled plan, much more likely.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
Thanks for your views! Keep them coming please. Something is better than nothing, there is no doubt about that. Here's my problem: When I did P90X in the past, I sort of felt crushed (which is natural when you're out of shape), but made it though the ones that I did. Of course, I liked some more than others. At the end of some, they add the AbX and since I was tired, I didn't have a chance. Doing some of them, I also busted my one hour "rule". So, after that, they show the drinks, and I think, talk about the meal plan. With my "all or nothing" attitude, I decided to do nothing and completely lost sight of my goals and gained more weight. This time, I want to choose my plan and stick to it the best I can. I really don't think I can deal with the gym and waiting for equipment, much less waking up and driving up to do it. Too d@mn many excuses! I love racquetball though and that is perk of the Y.

Life is busy with a demanding job, family and chores. I really need to learn to enjoy the training that choose to do, do it whenever I can instead of sitting on the couch, and don't let it bother me (which is really depressing) when I miss a workout because "life" got in the way.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
It sounds like you already know what to do. Just keep moving. The more variety the better.

1. I do the favorites thing, but I'm sure to supplement with other workouts to make sure everything stays in balance. For example, don't not work your legs because you don't like P90 legs workout. Just make sure you're still challenging all muscle groups.
2. I would do the major ones. Legs/back, Arms/shoulders, and Check back.
3. Nope
4. Yes. If you like what you do and you see results, I would stay with it.
5. if you're not going to do Ab Ripper, you might want to work with a coach at the Y for a core program. Core doesn't mean abs. You need someone to teach you exercises in all three planes. Make sure you pick a trainer that knows what that means! :-)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-06-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
I've been incorporating the P90 workout into my normal workout routine for about two years now. I never liked yoga so I choose not to do it. working out is fun for me...if I dont' like it , I wont' do it. I have my own leg workout as well.

A well balanced diet is key to any program...especially the older you get.

the abx is only 13 min.....it's worth the time. dont' lie to yorself and say you dont' have time.

Core strength is vital to any program.....IMO your wasting your time if you neglect it.

bottom line, like anythig , you'll only get what you put in.
My workouts for the last 3 years have been constantly evolving...I change things up every 4-6 weeks to keep me intersted, it's been a huge motivating factor that's kept me going. I've been lifting/exercising on a regular basis for almost 20 years.......it starts to get old if you dont' change things up, lol.
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-06-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
I know a few people that are doing P90X and a few trying Insanity and both are great as long as you can stick to them.

Though I must say Insanity is Freakin Nuts, good stuff but as it says Insane...Started it and got very pretty sick shortly after plan to try and start up again soon.

Good luck whatever you choose!
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-06-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
I am over 200 lbs and I am doing all the P90x workouts. A cross country move was my excuse to stop last time at around week 10, but I am on week 2 right now. I have never done yoga before P90x. I was going to skip some of the workouts and substitute other stuff, but a friend that does it said to do them all whether you like them or not.

I don't pay attention to their meal plans but I do try to eat somewhat healthy. Obviously if I am +200 I don't eat that healthy. I still run but I seem to find the time not to run.

At least with P90x cant make an excuse "I will get to it tomorrow" because I will get behind on the workouts. 2 weeks in and I see slight results
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-08-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
I'm mulling over what everyone has said. Thanks! I've kind of taken a hiatus this week. "Life" has gotten in the way for some of the week, but I also chose to take a break from my eating regime. Not totally, just enjoying a few things I usually deny myself.

After a conversation my son, and after seeing how much his weight work helped him wakeboarding this past weekend, he sent me some links to some stories about overdoing the cardio. That is my downfall and here are his links:

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009...rity-fat-loss/

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008...eping-you-fat/
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-12-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
You've made great progress so far, congratulations!!

I would say pick and choose, but the weight/resistance work builds muscle which burns more energy.

M-C&B, or CST
T-Run
W-S&A or B&B
TH-Run
FR-L&B
SA-Run
SU-Wakeboard

Try ARX at night while watching TV, just follow the book.

You also have the Core Syn video to sub in which is a great workout.

You either hate Yoga or Love it, personally I love it and will not sub it but too each there own. The first half is the best (even Tony says so).

My wakeboarding still sucks, but it is so much more fun after losing the weight and getting stronger.

Good Luck, whichever you decide.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-18-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the posts guys! I'm trying to decide today what to do. Last week, after my physical assessment at the Y, I was kind of sidetracked and bummed. Where I thought I was strong at, I was weak. My cardio. Because my heart rate did not recover as quickly as she had hoped, I need to do more of it. It is kind of a bummer when you find, what you thought you were good at, you are actually weak. Tomorrow, I start. Something. I'll post what groove I fall into. Hopefully, it won't be the couch!

Last edited by wakeboardingdad; 07-18-2010 at 1:43 PM.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-19-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
Interval training! Things like Plyo and Insanity vs. your cardio of jogging.

Stay off the couch!! don't get yourself down, you've done great and come a long way. Now it's just time to shift gears and take it to a new level.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
I get my weight training at the gym (working out with a trainer 3 days a week). and I suppliment with p90 at the house. Ill do all the workouts, but yoga and plyo are my favorite (also the hardest ones). Kempo is kinda lame, but it works out my hips/lower back, so I do it.

and Im on week 3 of eating right. 6 meals a day, 6oz lean protien, cup of brown rice, cup of green vegetables. I cook up ~10 meals worth in one sitting, portion them out, and have them ready to go.

Im trying real hard to get down to my pre-baby weight (no, i didnt carry the baby, but I didnt say no to ordering pizza either). Its much harder now at 37 then last time at 30.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-22-2010, 6:01 AM Reply   
Again, I really appreciate the information. I started it this week and have been doing all of it. Yes, the Ab Ripper is tough, and I have difficulty doing it (or even some of it) but I am getting better each time. (only 2x though) The crunchy frog is TOUGH, as well as, the exercise where you "punch" the floor side to side. I cannot even begin to do it. Tonight, it's YogaX. I'll see how much I hate it.

BTW, I hurt everywhere. On the Plyo, I kept waiting for the knee work. I realize now it is coming on Friday. I'm kind of dreading it, but I need to keep in mind that I will not be able to have good form and go as deep as the folks on TV. The worst part about the AbRipper is that guy with the dreads. I hate him with his perfect form and rock hard abs!

After doing it this week, I'll decide what I really like/dislike or want to do. (But I doubt I will even look at Kenpo.) I may just try to do it for the entire 90 days and see the results. For the first time, I have a physical assessment, to compare to, and some pics.

Last edited by wakeboardingdad; 07-22-2010 at 6:05 AM.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-22-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
In the mason twists in ARX keep your heels on the floor and so it that way till you get stronger.

Also try maybe doing 15 reps each move and get all the way through the ARX, once that is accomplished move up.

Also in L&B for some moves Tony and crew grab weights, I did my whole first round of 90 days with out a single weight in this routine. Just concentrate on form and you will be sore.

don't worry it gets better, not easier but better!
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-22-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
Load, Yes, the mason twists is what I was talking about. I'll try it with the heels on the floor tomorrow. Completed YogaX tonight. The first part, well, let's just say that I was pouring sweat! It was tough. How many downward dogs do you have to do? However, I could see where the yoga could really help avoid injury and maintain flexibility. I just wish it wasn't so long.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-24-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
I'm not going to make this some p90X journey thread. I've had some get fit threads in the past and they all end up the same. Maybe not this time!

One week in. I didn't skip anything and I wasn't able to perform as well as them either. But, I made it and I tried to do it all without injury or to complete exhaustion. I did not want to make an excuse for later workouts. So, here is what I noticed last night: In the warm up for legs and back (they're all pretty much the same) I was able to pick my knees up higher than ever before. It was easy and I would have to say that it was the YogaX that made that possible. Today, I was running over to my buds house to pick up his jeep. Gotta do a little work on it while he's at the lake. Oh well, thirds can't go every weekend! Anyway, as I merged onto the interstate, I was able to turn my head over my shoulder further than I have for the past 10 years! I was really amazed! Again, it has to be the Yoga! And to think that I almost quit twice because it was "stupid". Finally, I have been running every other night (pretty much) and eating right (pretty much) since March 19. I've kind of been stagnated at 215 -217 since July 4th. This week, I dropped 5 pounds in 5 days I've had some quick weight loss before, but not this quick and not this far into my loss (+30#). To be honest, I had my cheat meals. Not that I pigged, but I ate more than I should have. It would have set me back with my previous routines. Heck, I may even try the Kenpo today!

Last edited by wakeboardingdad; 07-24-2010 at 7:10 AM.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-26-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
Great job!
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
I am in week two of P90X and I am following the diet exactly as described. Since diet has always been my biggest issue I wanted to get some structure and see how bad I really do eat. I started week one at 242 (I am 6'3" with a target weight of 215) and ended the week at 232. I contribute most of the loss to the diet (which is around 1800 calories a day) as I measure every meal now (and I was damn hungry until my body seemed to adjust by thursday). I can feel myself getting stronger in week two. I enjoy the yoga, but good god the first half of that video is brutal with the upward/downward dogs and warrior 1, 2 and reverse. A little redundant lol. I love ARX but it is going to be a while before I can do all 11 exercises 25 times.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-28-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
Phat - I guess you'll be scinnyboypimp now.

Good work!

I actually screwed up this weekend. The wife was out of town and I left the pull up bar up in the doorway. Therefore, I was doing a pull up here and there during the weekend. I ended up pulling the heck out of one of my ab muscles on Saturday after I did Kenpo to show off to my 13 year old son and his buds! What a D A! However, I did StretchX on Sunday and my chest and back on Monday. I had to really guard my abs on my push-ups though! I started on the ARX, but it was too much. I decided to give it a rest and give the abs some time to heal. I do not need any excuse to quit this! Did Plyo last night, without any issues, and may try to do the back half of YogaX tonight. Not sure though, maybe I should do StretchX again or just go run. I can really tell my flexibility is improved since I started this.

Phat, I must have read something wrong though on the calorie count. The math that I did (a year ago, so bare with me) showed that I should intake like 3000 or more calories. That is one reason I decided to eat my "Abs Diet" style, which is balanced meals (C's, P's and F's) 5-6 times a day. I'm probably between 1400 and 2000 a day.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
As nutrition is such a key component of this program and any , I'm always on the hunt for different healthly recepies. I came across the blog. Has alot of good ideas.

http://foodsofapril.com/?page_id=191

the brownies are actually pretty good....
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
I am all about the scinnyboypimp but doesn't have the same ring to it.....lol. the ab strain is rough for this workout program, I would say do another stretch day if you can (I haven't done that workout yet). After doing the math in the book, I wanted to be around 2100 carlories so I stuck with the 1800 calorie a day diet as I felt 2400 was too much considering my body fat %. The nice thing about the diet - since I have always been a binge eater and eat too much when I do eat - is that I am eating 5-6 meals a day to get to 1800 calories. That is the kind of structure that I need. I have always worked out 4-5 days a week, but I have been stuck at this 240lbs for a few years. I needed a change.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-08-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
Like I said, I am not going to make this a "P90 day by day thread" but I need to say this. Because of my Ab strain, I have not been able to do Yoga for the past week, nor ARX. I was also not able to do the 2nd set of push-ups in chest and back this week. However, I did everything else. I ended Phase 3 with going to the lake on Friday evening and missed doing Legs and Back. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it anyway due to it maybe tiring my legs for the next day of wakeboarding. On Sat, when I woke up at the lake, it was time to do my share of loading the boat. All I can say is "WOW!". My knees and legs have come so far in just 3 weeks! From the moment I climbed up on the back of the boat I could tell I was stronger. However, the biggest difference was dropping into the boat from the hatch and then up again. On the weekend prior to beginning P90X, my legs and knees were weak. I almost felt like I was going to blow out a knee dropping into the boat and climbing back out, I would have to "bounce" up past my weak knees. This weekend, I could control my descent and ascent in the boat. No fear of a knee injury! It was so sweet. Also, my stamina was much increased too. I could ride for much longer and was able to hold better form for a much longer period of time.

In the past two weeks, I have not lost a single pound, but I am much stronger and my clothes fit better. This weekend has really recharged my desire to continue and not worry so much about the "numbers"! Woohoo! I am hoping my abs, which seemed pretty good this weekend, will allow me to utilize the core building week 4 and then continue and move forward in phase 2.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-09-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
..... I ended Phase 3 with going to the lake on Friday evening and missed doing Legs and Back. ....
Should have read Week 3, Phase 1. I was tired from two days at the lake and ready for some shut eye.

Thanks Wes. You're right. It's just a number. To prove that, I "dusted off" some smaller waisted jeans this morning that I couldn't fit into (the last time I lost weight) until I got under or was close to 200#. Still fluctuating between 210 and 215 right now.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-08-2010, 11:18 PM Reply   
Congrats! The numbers mean nothing; it's all muscle weight.