Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old    abadsvt            08-03-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
Hello all i have heard alot of talk about the BOOK dvd instructional guide. I have a couple questions for those who have it or seen it. There is 5 dvd in the collection. If you buy them individually at $29.99 as you progress or fork out $99.99 and get all 5 and save $50. My main question is i know how to carve and all the basics. Should i get the first 1 and 2 dvds to make sure all my technique is correct or should i save some money and just buy what i need. Also are they worth the money? Thanks and any comments is appreciated.

Josh
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
I thought I'd be able to jump ahead to DVD 3, but I've actually ended up watching several chapters of the 1st DVD and rec'd some good pointers. It has some good details on how to drive a boat and etiquette on the lake. Newbies could benefit from that as well. I'd say get the whole thing. Wakeside has it for $90.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-03-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
You can get all five on ebay for around $65 if you shop around!
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-03-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
I'd get all 5. Disc 2: Building a Foundation is a must. And you'll definitely want Discs 3 and 4 (Basic Inverts and Spinning), so that's already $90 right there. Spend the extra ten dollars to pick up a few boating pointers and you'll also have advanced inverts whenever you may need it.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-03-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
Get all 5 it's easier and they are definently worth every cent, they made a huge difference with my riding.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-03-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
The book is soooooooooooooooooooo worth the money. 1-4 are great...disc 5 is a dream for 90% of wakeboarders out there but still fun to watch!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-03-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
I don't want to knock "The Book" because there is some good stuff in there, but I think your money would be better spent by taking a lesson from an instructor live and in person who can fully explain the physics behind wakeboarding.

The Book covers a lot of ground and offers more insight than any other instructional DVD/video out there. However, it doesn't clearly illustrate the physics behind wakeboarding. Once you understand the physics involved then the techniques covered by The Book will make much more sense.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, read this post from Jason on Dallas Wakeboarding:

http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7453

Jason really gives you a better undertsanding of the physics involved in wakeboarding. The Book will tell you to take a progressive edge and maybe even how to edge progressively, but it will not tell you why you need to do so.

Again, I'm not trying to say anything bad about The Book. I owned it for a year and did learn a few things from it. However, after taking some lessons from an instructor who gave me the same advice that Jason is giving in this post, I finally understood the concepts behind wakeboarding. I am finally starting to progress my riding!

Just my .02

(Message edited by nauty on August 03, 2006)
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-03-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
Yeah...I have the set. Get it..more than worth the $99! I thought I knew the basics too.....turns out I knew all the wrong, self-taught basics!
I watch disk 2 the most...working on new edgeing drills, and jumps W2W, but frequently watch them with my bros who are stepping up. They'll borrow them, keep them for a week, bring them back so stoked they usually hook me up with a fiver, extra gas, or some brew for the next outing, so I'm slowly getting my cash back on it...not to mention what I've learned. Letting your boys watch it reminds them to pitch in on your boat expenses too!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-03-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
It cant replace a coach, but it is a hell of a lot less expensive and worth every penny...GET IT!!
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-03-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
do it i got it a while ago very helpful deffinetly a must
Old    abadsvt            08-03-2006, 10:42 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone! I will get the set. I am going to check ebay first them wakeside.