Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-06-2004, 6:36 PM Reply   
I have a bimini top that came with my boat, but it won't fit between the legs of my monster tower. I can think of lots of ways to narrow the frame up, and can probebly get some sewing help on the canvas.

I'm worried about spreading the legs apart to the width of the mounting points; that I will crimp the tubes.

Anybody undertaken a similar project? Any advice or insight appreciated!
Old    walt            08-06-2004, 7:30 PM Reply   
I'm sure You don't want to hear this but think about buying the monster Bimini. It's really nice the way it mounts and folds up.
good luck
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-07-2004, 12:42 AM Reply   
Can't hurt to try! Go for it, all you can do is learn. If it doesn't work go and buy a monster bimini. I had mine rigged to work with the tower.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-07-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
I norrowed mine after i installed tower. Leave it mounted where it is and cut what ever you need out of the middle. Say 12" or so. Then all you have to do is to open up the bend of the outside radius of the tubing. Go to homedepot and get some copper tubing that will fit inside of the bibini tubing and poprivit it in to place like a sleve. Then i took by canvas to a car reapolster shop and told them to take 12' out of the center, (50.00)..done deal..and it worked.
Email if you need more info, be glad to help..where you live, i'd even come over..Rich
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-08-2004, 12:40 AM Reply   
I held off buying a tower for a long time because of my bimini. A couple weekends ago I modified my bimini to mount on my monster tower. It previously mounted to the windshield. It had to be narrowed 8 inches and flipped front to back. Now it works great. The only downside is that it has to be completely removed opened then re-installed but I wanted to keep it as large and high as possible, its a tradeoff. If I cut the legs down more then I might be able to get it to fold better. The aluminum tubing they sell at OSH fit perfectly inside the 7/8 tubes, just use a couple feet at the center of the joints held in with stainless screws. Mine already had joints under some of the clamps.

I had stainless steel side mounts on the windshield that I relocated to the tower legs, left the front straps and replaced the rear straps with short arms to the tower.

There is not much market for used bimini tops so start cutting, the worst thing that can happen is that you turn it into scrap pipe and scrap canvas...
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-08-2004, 7:44 PM Reply   
I cut 8 inches out of the middle of mine in order to get it to fit. However, I did not use copper pipe for the splice. I used steel conduit that is used for running electrical wires tru in home construction. It fits great over the bimini tube and the pop rivets are less likely to wear thru steel. Copper could eventualy wear out being that it is a soft metal
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
Thanks all. I have found that 3/4" extruded alum tube fits exactly inside the 7/8" bow tube. I will give the chop job a whirl and see how it goes.

I agree that Monster Bimini is a very nice piece. I just hate to fork out $450 if I can make the bimini I have work. It will definately be the next step if bimini one ends up in pieces :-)

(Message edited by texastbird on August 09, 2004)