Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (67King)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-17-2011, 6:36 AM Reply   
Been lurking a while, searching a bit, and have found a lot of good info here. Anyway, a few months ago, my wife told "Go buy a boat! That's one of the big reasons we moved to Knoxville, so go buy me one!" Yes, I have pinched myself, and I am awake. And while she does have a sister, she is happily married.

So, first point is why a ski (wake) boat?
Anyway, she doesn't really care what kind of boat, just wants one. So here's where I'm at. WHen I was a kid in the late 70's and 80's, I spent my Summers on a small lake a bit south of Atlanta, Jackson Lake if anyone knows it. Dad had me skiing when I was 4 behind the family's 64 Chris Craft (18'). On one when I was 7. I got a job in the winter when I was 13, and someone hit the boat that Summer, so I never did much skiing after I was 12. But, to me, boating means skiiing. So when 67Queen said I get to pick out the boat, that's what it means to me. Having said that, I'm aware that wake boarding is the new skiing, so whatever, as long as we're on the water.

Second factor: We have 6 year-old twin girls, one of whom will definately try it, one of whom is a bit more timid. We also have an 18 month old son who will probably be some kind of extreme something or other given his propensity to get into stuff.

Third factor is that we have some very good friends with girls of similar ages to our kids who have a 24' Cobalt. So it seems silly to me to buy a redundant boat to them.

Next question is how old of a boat I'm looking for? 2007 or newer.
First factor - time. I don't want to spend any on fixing the boat. With cars, age is as big or a bigger factor than mileage, and that is ESPECIALLY true if a car isn't driven. I'm just not the type of person to pay someone to do stuff I can do. And I'm a competant wrench (engineer, used to do engine development with Ford). I'm a hard core DIY-er, so I've got projects going on with the house, and I'm really into cars, so I'd rather spend my spare time working on the track car or restoring the GTO.

Second factor - money. Yeah, backwards thinking I know. I hate debt, and would rather just buy the boat outright. But the wife nor I want the kids to grow up while we save to buy a boat, so we are going to finance. I can finance a newer boat for 2.99% for 60 months. Any older, add a point or more.

So, how much will I spend? Depends. Upper limit around $40K-ish.
Like I have said, I'd love to buy a boat outright, but it isn't going to happen. I don't have a hard line at $40K, but I don't want to get much above it. And while I could string out the term of a loan more, interest rates start really increasing with the increase in term.

Layout and size? Mid-size V-drive
Midsize because we'll be spending some time on a big, busy lake, Loudon (I believe that this would be considered the "home" lake of Master Craft, Malibu, and Skier's Choice, as well as Yamaha). I'd love a 23' boat, but some of the 22's are pretty close in size, and the 23's are getting stupid expensive. Having said that, we live 1.04 miles from the marina we'd use, and both my wife and I have work schedules that would allos us to take the boat out during the week when the lake is less crowded. So the ride of a larger boat is important, but not critically so.

V-drive because we'll have a lot of folks on the boat at times - 4 adults, 6 kids. Also, wakeboarding is the new skiing, or so I'm told by younger friends who do it, and older friends with kids that do it.

Options so far?
Option 1, something from Malibu. The local dealer has girls who take gymnastics at the same place and time as my girls, so I have gotten to know him socially over the past year, even before I had any idea my wife was going to throw me in the bryer patch by making me buy a boat. So from there:
- 2000 23' I think it is an LSV? A Sunscape or Escape or something. V-drive. Nice, low hours (under 200) boat that the local dealer has. $25K. Has tanks and a tower. LOT of boat for the money, but I'm afraid of the age. It also has a narrow beam, making it fell less crowded.
- 2007-2008 V-Ride. Nice boats, but narrow. Could have snagged one in Nasville for under $30K, but it sold too quickly. Most seem to be mid to upper $30's by asking price.
- 2009-2010 V-Ride. These are the ones I really like. Nice wide beam, nice fit and finish. Old Wakesetter hull. I had hoped to check out a 2009 last weekend, but it sold just before i was able to. There are a few 2010's out there, but I don't know how anxious the dealers will be to get rid of them.
- New Axis A22. I'll get back to this.

Option 2, Moomba. Honestly, I liked these boats until I checked out the Axis. I can pick up an older one, but there are a few things I don't like about them. I know they are entry-level, but they seem very cheap. I really dislike the bladders for ballast, I much prefer hard ballasts. I'd be looking at a Mobius. May consider an XLV.

Option 3, Nautique. Overall, I'm afraid they just won't fit into my age/price requirements.
- 211. There are a few about. I'm worried they are a bit small, and I really dislike the L-shape layout of the interior. Just seems like a smaller boat than I'd like, as well.
- 210. Seem to be a few. I like the layout better, I am guessing it is a more wake-purpose built boat. Wife likes the seating arrangement, and the ability to have more seats face rearward. Very, very nice boat, but again, will I find one? Again, seems on the small side.

Option 4, Master Craft.
- X15, but I don't really see any fitting into my age/budget. For price points, without having driven either, the 210 seems like a nicer boat.

Now, are there any good solid options I am missing? I know there are other brands out there like Tige', but I don't see very many of them around here. I know very little about them.

Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the Axis (A22). I'd love to find a good V-Ride, as well. So let me proceed to the questions:
1. Is there a "best time" to buy a boat? Seems buying in the winter would make sense, but there is also the factor of availability. More boats available in the Spring, but that's the season. Do I stand to get a lot more boat if I buy, say, in the Fall?
2. How "willing to deal" for 2010's will dealers be right now? There are two 2010 V-Rides that are out there. The 2009 I just missed was sold for $38K. Can I get a 2010 within 10% of so of that?
3. Where can one find good value info? Is NADA the only source? I'm interested as much to know if I can finance the whole boat or not. Also might help with negotiations.

Final questions - I have taken out an A22, and sat down and spec'd out one. The local dealer is offering me one for what seems to me like a great deal. As I had said earlier, I know him socially, and I am inclined to trust him, but I just want to verify that I'm doing well. Here's what I can get (going off of memory). New A22 with whatever paint scheme I want, base trailer, base stereo, wedge, plug-n-play ballast, flip-up bolster/swivel seat, dual battery, bimini top, boat cover, removable carpet.
- $[quote removed at dealer request] before taxes. That seems like a screamin' good deal to me. I'm almsot inclined to just go for it. Anyone with experience with Axis verify this?
- Any other options I should be getting? I'm thinking I may forego the stereo (and do one myself) and batteries (I can get an Optima for $95 through some racing connections). But I am also thinking I should be adding both cleats and traction pads.

Sorry for the War and Peace post. Thought I should give as much background as possible before any of you put forth an effort to give me a thoughtful reply. And thanks everyone for reading through it, and offering up any opinions you may have.

Last edited by wakeworld; 03-30-2011 at 2:03 PM.