Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2010, 10:02 PM Reply   
I love sharing my opinion on this site -- so I figured I would just lay out whats in my head and get some advice from you guys -- see what you think I should do...

I personally do not want to spend a bunch of money right now - we just had a baby -- but I am thinking that I need to do something about my audio setup on my boat. I have a malibu wakesetter xti ....

Current Setup:

* Wetsounds 420ws
* Rockford Fosgate 600x2 powering 2 Pro80s
* Rockford Fosgate 450.4 powering 4x Polk Audio db651s
* JL Audio 1000.1 (with a one broken heatsink fin) powering a Kicker L7 15" subwoofer

The Kicker sub is in a GIGANTIC box I built, ported. I have put it in the storage locker right of the engine (look at 2004 xti design to understand what i'm saying)....

Honestly - The box looks like someone puked on it -- its covered in polymer so not to swell, mess up, ways a ton, looks like crap -- no carpet, no fiberglass -- just ugly. The amps are literally thrown in the left storage compartment on the rider-side... I have 0gauge wire but NOTHING is secured to the boat.

I have two Optima Blue Tops and Two (as of now) Unused Trojan Golf Cart Batteries --- I think the Trojan's have been dead for a year.

I have ripped the carpet off of the wall, on the inside of the storage compartment. You can see bare fiberglass...

Now -- What I am considering doing ---

Selling Trojan Batteries, Building a Wooden Box for the Optima Batteries and waterproofing / paitnting it black / carpeting them. Securing the batteries to the floor in the storage compartment.

Selling the two Rockford amps, selling the JL Audio Amp -- buying a Wetsounds Syn1 and Syn6. I'm curious what the best price I could get quoted on those two amps would be ... What do you think the Rockford amps are worth? What about a slightly dinged up JL (missing that one corner of heatsink)...? Building a wood wall, waterproofing it, carpeting over it -- putting the two amps on it. Use Rhino Liner / Black spray paint to cover up where I ripped up the carpet on wall of storage compartment... Would that look horrid / mess up fiberglass?

Considering building a new (smaller) box for the kicker sub under the dash -- integrating a spot for my ws420 in it...

I know this is a lot and most of you arent going to read it -- just very frustrated with myself. Ive spent a lot of money on equipment and I feel like White trash -- The amps have litterally flown across the storage compartment when hitting big waves -- ... Any advice, thoughts, suggestions, cutdowns, putdowns, snarky comments, or criticisms accepted.

Last edited by clayton191; 04-22-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-23-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
So in total, you are looking to power a set of Pro 80's, 4 polks and a Kicker L7?

I am assuming that the Syn 1 will power the Sub and the Syn 6 will power the Pro 80's and 4 Poks. So the Syn6 will give you 60 watts per Polk speaker and 155 watts per Pro 80. So for $899 you are getting 550 watts of power and highly under utilizing that amp. It is also very important to remember that the Syn 6 is class a/b technology and not as efficient as the other wetsounds amps.

My suggestion would be to get a Syn 2 for your Pro 80's. Witha Syn 2 you will get 200 watts per pro 80.

My suggestion on the in boats would be to get a Syn 4 which will give you 125 watts at 4ohms. Probably more than your polks need, but more than enough if you ever make the switch to some XS 650's which I also reccomend.

So you could buy and Syn6 and have 550 watts of class a/b power (not very efficient) for $899 and keep it mind it is a bigger, bulkier, heavier amp. Or, you could buy and Syn 2 and Syn 4 with a total of 900 watts and both amps cost together $1148. Double the power for an extra $250 plus tons more headroom and much better glass g/h technology.

Stay with the SYN 1.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-23-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
My thought (with a baby on the way) would be to take care of the work that needs to be done first, then spend money. Sounds like your amp situation is ugly and potentially dangerous. Why not build an amp rack now and get it all cleaned up. If you want to switch amps later, then all you need to do is plug and play. Same goes for your sub box (if you are going to build a new one). In other words, if you clean up your current install, you're probably going to be a lot happier with it (and more confident that if you spend another $1K on equipment it will be going to good use).
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-23-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
What is "wrong" with your current amps? Besides that they are poorly installed.
Maybe I am ignorant of your amp situation, but I think switching your polks to 2 pair of WS650's would be advisable.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Some other Amp ideas

2 amp set up:
Exile 800.4 or Alpine PDX 150.4 Half to Polk DB's other half to Pro 80's
Exile 1500.1 or Arc ks 1000.1/ Alpine PDX 1000.1- the RMS of your sub is 1000 watts and personally I like to have more headroom and push my subs hard. For instance my new amp set up is going to be pushing my two 10" subs with over 1100 watts each.

3 amp set up: Very loud!
Exile 800.4/ Alpine PDX 100.4/ Arc KS 125.4 mini - Run one of these bridged to the WS Pro 80's
Exile 800.4/ Alpine PDX 100.4/ Arc KS 125.4 mini - to the interiors at 4 OHM's this would allow for upgrade in speakers down the road or additions.
Same sub choices above.

Yes secure the batteries but you may as well just get battery boxes.
Is the area you ripped the carpet off large enough for your amps? If so I would adhere the new carpet wall to it and mount the amps there.
I like the idea of moving the sub as it'll help to project the sound out of the boat. I'd personally do a sealed box in this location because it tightens up the bass and that is my prefference.

There are lots of options, have fun and good luck.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Technically nothing "wrong" except they are all different models, shapes, sizes and it looks bad aesthetically.. That's why i'm asking all of this -- I've seen some amazing installs on this forum and I am just wanting to make mine a lot better -- been great feedback so far and I appreciate the time you guys have taken to put together some ideas for me. Thanks.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-23-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
I say save your money and install your stuff properly. I couldn't care less if I had different brands, colors, what not. If you install it correctly and make it look like it belongs you will be much happier with your system. Then you can go through and decide if the new equipment is necessary. I am not sure how your boat is laid out, but if you installed the amps in a place that is not seen then it doesn't really matter what they look like.

I am also a fan of sealed boxes, tighter bass. proper sealed applications are also smaller than a ported box so you might be able to find a different spot in the boat, possible under the helm (once again do not know what your boat looks like).

Long story short sit in your boat with all your gear unhooked and loose. Then think about where you want things, where they might fit, and whether it is possible for you to put it there. Then make a list of what you need and go to a hardware store. A properly installed system will always look better than the best equipment thrown in there with no thought or care. Just my thoughts good luck with you install and more importantly the bundle of joy