Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-21-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
I know there are tons of threads on this subject but I haven't seen a breakdown or diagram of exactly how to place a battery bank or switch in my boat. That, coupled with what I like to call "text english", where U = you, r = are, etc. of some of the posters leaves me confused on how exactly to implement the system into my boat.

Here is a diagram I gleamed from the web on how I envision my system to be set up. This assumes utilizing only 2 batteries.

Upload

How does this set up look? At this point I have one deep cycle battery that does everything.

I dont need 6 hours of music on the lake while my boat is off but I would like to play it for awhile without worrying about paddling back to the marina.

(Message edited by Loonytik on May 21, 2008)
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-21-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
well normally you don't have an isolator AND a battery selector switch (unless you wanted 3 banks of batteries). In that diagram you should pretty much remove one or the other.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-21-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
With the set up as shown in the diagram the isolator would charge the lower of the two batteries first and the switch would be to select which battery I wanted to use and be a disconnect from the system completely. The switch could also be used to pull power from both batteries.

I assumed having both the isolator and the switch would make the system a "do everything" system.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-21-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
if that's the case cool but I'm pretty sure that's not how most isolators work. Generally they are just set up so that one battery is designated for the starter and ensures the house load never gets to it but allows the alternator to charge both banks when the engine is running. I'd think you'd need a more advanced voltage regulator system with multi bank capability to actually control individual charging to different banks based on current state.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
Jason you need to check this out, this is what you want.

http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/overview/329
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-21-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
Jason use the bluesea add a battery like nu bu said I have had this setup in my boat for a full season and it works like a champ. Problem with battery isolators is voltage drop you will lose .7 - 1 volt of your alt. output converts into heat, hints the big heat sink on them.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/515133.html
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-22-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
The Bluesea system looks good but what if I decide to add a battery "bank" and install 3 or 4 batteries for extended play time? The overwhelming question here is how to have of battery power for the stereo to keep rocking while you are sitting with the engine off and saving gas.

Brandon....what type of boat do you have?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-22-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
First, you can run an ISO or ACR with a Perko, I have for 2 yrs now with a single starting battery and 2 deepcycle house batteries. The Iso/ACR allows the alt to charge both battery banks, while keeping loads isolated. The switch will allow you to switch over to the house battery to crank engine in an emergency.

2nd, go with either the Iso or the Blue Sea ACR, they will do the same thing for you.

3rd, if you wire multiple deepcycles together in parallel (+ to +, - to -) they are considered to be 1 bank, but you've increased your Amp/hrs.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-22-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
Thanks Mike....

In summary, I can use one deep cycle for my starting battery and link multiple deep cycles together, pos to pos and neg to neg and wire them in on the other side of the Blue Sea ACR?

Just curious how say 5 batteries in the house bank could be charged. I would think the BlueSea set up is designed for only 1 extra battery.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-22-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
In summary, I can use one deep cycle for my starting battery and link multiple deep cycles together, pos to pos and neg to neg and wire them in on the other side of the Blue Sea ACR?

Just curious how say 5 batteries in the house bank could be charged. I would think the BlueSea set up is designed for only 1 extra battery.

I would use a marine Cranking battery for the "starting" bank. just my $.02

Yes, use the "Add-a-battery diagram and just parallel the other battery(s) to the first deepcycle "house".

5 drained deepcycles will tax your alt, it will never recharge them. For this, I would recommend having the "house" bank stand alone (not connected to boat charging system) and use an onboard charger/tender when back at the dock or home.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
Mine is set up exactly as TigeMike describes with a perko and blue sea ACR.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-23-2008, 5:38 AM Reply   
Nu Bu, Tigemike, How much stereo play time do you get out of your house battery before it dies?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
Jason,

I've never sat long enough to figure that out yet. I've never had the voltage dip below 12v yet. I've only had the boat off listening to the tunes for around 3 hours, but I didn't have it all the way up either.

I do have my house bank connected to the alternator though but haven't had any issues with it.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-23-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
3 Hours is plenty of time. I normally wouldn't sit around for 3 hours without cranking the engine to recharge anyway.

Done deal, gonna order a Bluesea ACR this weekend.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-23-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Do you guys leave the perko selector to both when running your boat and listening to your speakers when the engine is off? Or select one battery to use for the day and then then switch it to the 2nd one the next time out?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-23-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
I dont touch my switch, engine runs off starting battery, stereo draws of the house, alt charges both through Iso.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
Jason I have 4 optima's on my house bank.

Ryan I have my perko set on #1 (house bank) at all times. The ACR lets the reserve battery get a charge through the house bank. If the house bank won't start the boat I would set the perko to #2 to start the boat. I wouldn't ever want to set it to ALL, I'm pretty sure all the batteries would equalize so then I'd have 5 pretty dead batteries that wouldn't start the boat. The blue sea selector switch only combines them so I kept the perko in my system and just bought the ACR.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-23-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Alright Nu Bu....

So you dont use the Bluesea selector at all? You bought a regular perko and use the Bluesea ACR with it?

Also, your alternator charges 4 optimas or you recharge at the dock?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Jason, I have a blue sea ACR that I can sell you for $50 plus $5 for shipping it's completely unused and still in the box. I went with a newmar iso/combiner instead.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
Jason I used the perko I had in my boat and installed a Blue Sea ACR into the system. I do not rely on my alternator to charge my batteries, however it does a pretty good job of supplimenting the power drain from the stereo. I don't sit with the boat off for long periods of time. I always charge the batteries back up at home with a regulated 3 stage charger.

I'd jump on that ACR that HATE has for sale that's a good deal.
Old     (jedidiah)      Join Date: May 2008       05-25-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Nu Bu-

What kind of system do you have (how many amps, speakers, subs, etc.)?

How many watts at what Ohms are you running?

Are your running the stock 90 Amp Malibu Alt?

You running just 4 Blue Tops? Where did you locate them?

Did you regauge the wiring to the alt to 0 gauge or leave it as is?

Sorry for all the questions... it sounds like we have similiar systems and I will be installing mine next week into my 08 LSV. Just trying to get some real life feedback.

Also, I just purchased the ACR from Hatepain, and plan to run that in conjunction with the factory Perko from Malibu.

Thanks again for your time to answer those questions, and thanks Hatepain for the great deal!

Ben
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
Ben I've got 3 JL Slash series amps, 3 12" subs, 6 interior cabin speakers, and 6 tower speakers. I've got the 5 optimas under the seat outside the passenger storage compartment. I have the stock 90 amp alternator and I left the wiring to the alternator stock for now, ran 2 guage wire between all the optimas. You should have 0/1 going to your alternator already. You're just going to have to charge the battery bank everytime when you get back home from the lake religiously or the alternator won't last.
Old     (jedidiah)      Join Date: May 2008       05-26-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
Nu Bu- what battery tender / trickle charger did you end up getting to charge the 5 blue tops? Do you have a link where you purchased it?

Can't thank you enough for all your help!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-26-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
This is the charger I bought, it's the VEC093. It's perfect it goes into trickle charge mode after batteries are full, turns on and off when done, maintains them by itself, beeps at you everytime it's changing a charging stage. I've been very happy with it.

http://www.battery-rechargeable-charger.com/vector-auto-car-smart-battery-charger-brochure.html
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-26-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
Ben, you bet brotha. I'll ship it out Tuesday and shoot you the tracking # if I can.