Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-22-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
How come it seems that when(in reference to pro riders), and in this case I will use Parks, it has been about two three years/seasons ago that he was at the top of the podiums(spl?) #1. Like wise with Murray, Shapiro, ect.. Now you see others there. I'm not saying that they aren't as good as them but IMOP, Parks is the "ultimate" rider along with Harris, can do every trick in the book and then some, well now he's down on the list like 15th or so? maybe injuries? Wakeboarding is not a "million dollar contract" kinda sport so why being so young at age aren't these guys still leading? I went to the Portland pro tour about 2 years ago and when Parks got up to ride everbody got out of there seat to watch him. He is a huge inspiration to the sport. I don't know, maybe I'm just rambling on but it just confuses me, like someone in there working profession, we work for years, some reach the top and stay there till retirement, so I don't understand why these guys don't do this?
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       11-23-2006, 4:40 AM Reply   
Maybe even though they are young as you put it, they have still been around long enough that their bodies have taken a little bit of a beating. I would think that with the pounding these guys' knees and backs take, a career might not be as long as they would hope. Just an idea, I don't really closely follow the tours.
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-23-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
I guess one word will sum it all up....

" INJURIES "
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-23-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Saun and Shapiro were at it for quite a few years. They are both over 30 so that is not unusual for athletes to slow down or retire. It depends on the sport. Boxers peak in their 30's. Running backs in the NFL last an average of only 3.5 years.

The riders such as Parks, Ruck and other guys didn't approach wakeboarding as a professional sport in the way other athletes do. Their training was riding. I don't think they were involved in any training regimen and I am pretty sure weight training, diet and stretching were not big on the daily plan.

Look at the newer riders. Rusty is dedicated to training and working out. Danny is too. A lot of the younger guys coming up are too. Have you seen Bryon Hutton, Brett Lee and Austin Hair. These guys are built like a rock.

By the way- Shapiro did train like a professional athlete and he has the resume to show it.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-23-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
I would have to say injury to the body also. I suck at riding and I have been hurt several times. I couldnt imagine going as big as these guys day ion and day out without blowing a knee here and there. Also as with any sport, newer younger guys come up and learn your tricks and ass others to their repatwas....it's the circle of life baby
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-24-2006, 2:40 AM Reply   
Injuries. Shuan was injured, and now he back competeing. Parks also was injured, and I dont think he is back yet.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-24-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
I think they all heard about me, and quite frankly got scared and left the sport. I dont train, just eat, drink and poop.
LOL. Actually most of the top riders including Zane, Parks,Murray were all set back by injuries. This sport has so many up and coming riders, that it doesnt take long to get behind a little. Returning after a season or two ending injury makes it tough to stay on top with so many great new guys.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       11-24-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
No offense, but I'm not sure you have been following the sport long enough, or maybe close enough. To say those guys reached the top and then vanished is not accurate. Those guys you specifically mentioned were riding at top levels for years. These guys starting riding at like 5 years old in many cases; whether it was wake/slalom/barefoot, whatever. They've been on the water forever. Also, injuries do take a huge toll, it's not golf. It's nearly impossible to stay in the top 5 in teh world in any sport for very long. Look how fast olympic winners vanish. I would say the people you mentioned have had long illustrious careers. Now they ride a little calmer, have camps, promote the sport, wakeskate (byerly example), etc. Plus they have families (shaun, etc.)
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-24-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
I think the level of riding just continues to progress that fast, and it is hard on the body when you start to get older. A few years back, wake-to-wake 7's were the you got to have a 9 and/or one or two mobe-5 tricks just to make podium. Things have just gone to a completely different level and with all the young rippers, it is very hard to stay on top. Not to mention the amount of people that ride now, increasing the amount of good riders, makes your chances of being on top that much less.