Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    mike_collins            05-08-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
Well... being one to jump at the opportunity to ride at any occassion, a friend called today a thought I may want to get a set in behind his new boat! Only thing was.... his boat's a 55ft Sea Ray. I think I raised quite a few eyebrows doing 20mph on the Ponce Inlet. My wife was kind enough to snap the attached photo from the fly bridge! What a way to spend a Sunday! Whoa!

The Latest in Wakeboard boats
What a Sunday!
Old    murrayair            05-08-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
Wow! That wake is STEEP right in front of where it curls over! Looks like fun!
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-08-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
That looks insane were you able to do anything behind the boat or did u just cruse?? That wake looks like its 50' accross from the pic...
Old    walt            05-08-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
Now thats a wide wake !
Old    mike_collins            05-09-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Wide wake is an understatement! We tried different speeds and rope lengths and of course (unfortunately) we could only attach the main line to the cleats on the back deck, so there was no leverage. When we go out again.. it may be offshore, so we want to get an extended main line and attach it to the flybridge! Once my heart stopped racing, I attempted a couple of jumps (at 20 mph) but because of the pamp shape, I could only go from Out to in.... but what a pop!!! it was a rush... (except for the fact that it took the boat about 5 moniutes to turn and get me at the end of the run!... while all the time I'm watching out for boats and sharks to come bearing down!)... still.. only live once! So if you're going to go... go BIG!
Yikes.... gulp... erh... big wake!
Old    mike_collins            05-09-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
Mark D - you're right. I actually shortened the rope to 60ft, (so that I could hit the wake before is started getting mushy!). When I went out side... it was literally a vertical face... so I spent the time jumping in to out (grabs and such)
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-09-2005, 11:09 AM Reply   
How is the wakesurfing wake??
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-09-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
Wow, that looks like a lot of fun since its something different. I would love to surf the wake that beast puts out!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-09-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
nice! however, i am sure that someday our "little" wakeboard boats are gonna cost just as much as that beauty...
Old    mike_collins            05-09-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
Funny enough... I had my landlock handy... as I was originally wanting to surf... thing was that the wake (right behind the boat) didnt shape up until we were at quite a rate of speed. There was acually better opportunities to surf way back on some of the back rollers (They were HUGE).. and I plan to try that next time. ((in fact... the wake was so large that it would be cool to experience, and get photos of multiple riders on both sides of the wake at the same time))!

Ryan. Trust me... even with elaborate 'porta pottys' on a X80, it doesnt come close to the green this guy paid for the Sea Ray! ,,, but you're right... when we start talking 75K - 120K for a recreational boat that only has one purpose... it makes you think!