Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-02-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
ok, so lately I been so frustrated with all the stupid names for tricks in wakeboarding. Its sooo confusing and unneeded. I feel like if you take one trick and add the smallest variation to it, like an extra 180 it gets a whole new ridiculous name like pete rose or elephant! those arent even good names for tricks! Im starting the coalition for the simplification of wakeboard trick names. Anyone else with me! i hate feeling stupid cuz someone says a trick and i have no idea what it is! FTW!
Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-02-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
FTL sounds more like it.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-02-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
I like all the names, rather than yelping out that was a wrapped off axis mute backside inside out whatnot.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
I think it's one of the privileges of landing a new trick that no one has ever done. There's a story behind a lot of the trick names too. In my opinion, it's in a way paying respect to the forefathers of the sport.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-02-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
you need to understand your roots. And I'm not talking other board sports, this is wakeboarding which has a handle, so everything can be different.

FYI. Pete Rose is called that for a reason, one I found cool back in the day.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-02-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
leave it to people to critisize what they dont know.....
i hate feeling stupid cuz someone says a trick and i have no idea what it is! FTW!
this proves your just as dumb as you are arrogant. i strongly agree with everyone here. All of their points are valid except yours. Sounds to me like you need to do some homework and hone those skill bud. go watch detention and get back to me. Later Hater
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-02-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
You were 4-5 years old when many of those tricks were named.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-02-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
"this is wakeboarding which has a handle..."
and surfing has no handles
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-02-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
The names are all needed. It lets those of us who actually can tell the difference between a scarecrow and an elephant, or tootsie roll vs a dum dum stand out above the crowd of weekend warriors who "pretend to ride" when in fact all they really do is buy a boat with their dads money and party at ski beach all day long.
Oh, and Pete Rose is a sick name for that trick. Pete Rose always slid headfirst, hence the name for that trick. You gotta lead with your head on that or you will never get that blind 1 in, otherwise its just a method TS roll to revert...
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
Personally I think the trick names are a little stupid also. Even though it is easier to say crow mobe 7 rather than toeside frontroll with a frontside 720, so I'll give you guys that.

I guess its also pretty cool if some of the names have a story behind them like pete rose. (which I would like to hear by the way)

BUT I just feel like calling all these tricks different names if done a bit differently than a similiar trick is too far. For example: every single raley trick having a different name because the grab is different or they do a FS or a BS spin? Im sure a BS raley or a FS Raley 3 can be said just as easily as "Blind Judge" or a "313".

Now I realize the people who invented these tricks will always be a wayyy better rider than I am and that I have no right to say that they should call a trick this or that I just feel that if a trick did not have a thousand names and was easier to remember then we would'nt have to resort to calling people "dumb" or "arrogant" because they did not know what a Skeezer or an Elephant was.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-02-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
totally agree and feel you, however instead of probing and trying to find out, people just call the names stupid. The best is when they say they don't have weird names in other sports, yet you can still find them there too.

Byerly named it the Pete Rose because while trying it, if he would not make it he would catch his toe edge and slide out on his chest/face. Also because you have to lead with your head, as if you're forcing yourself to slide out head first.
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-02-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
yup.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-02-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
The only trick names I don't like are the ones that have different names if you do them switch.
Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-02-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
"The names are all needed. It lets those of us who actually can tell the difference between a scarecrow and an elephant, or tootsie roll vs a dum dum stand out above the crowd of weekend warriors who "pretend to ride" when in fact all they really do is buy a boat with their dads money and party at ski beach all day long. "

that's a little arrogant.

being able to name the tricks makes you no better than a weekend warrior.

being able to land the tricks is a different question.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
and "Fat Chance" was named after a person named Chance who had the nick name Fat Chance. he (Chance) used to run the wake shop at Utah Watersports and knew Byerly who named it after him
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-02-2009, 9:23 PM Reply   
"that's a little arrogant.

being able to name the tricks makes you no better than a weekend warrior.

being able to land the tricks is a different question."

Totally agree.

Remember, the "weekend warrior" keeps wakeboarding companies in business. Do not hate those that actually are the reason you have the equipment choices that exist today.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-03-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
J-Sos and Vision, your profiles say that you are both from NC so you missed the point of my comment. It was directed at people who go out to the delta where I ride, and its a common thing around that area where some people talk a big game about "always going riding out at the Delta", when in fact they just go straight to this one beach, get hammered, never ride, and end up running their boats up onto the levy or getting a DUI and putting other people's lives in danger because of how hammered they get out there. Those people are the ones that I was referring to where they have no clue what certain tricks are because they never actually ride themselves. It lets us that do actually ride be able to recognize the difference between tricks. I'm not an arrogant person, anyone who knows me can back that. And yes, I can land a lot of those tricks rather than just recognize them when they are thrown J-Sos.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
This thread has pure fail written all over it at this point..."I drive a dodge stratus!"

But seriously, trick names do get annoying, and for people getting into wakeboarding, probably confusing. Not that they don't have a point, or that they should be eliminated. It's just an observation.
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-03-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
thanks garrett....you are 100% correct.....now eat your dinner...
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-03-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
I wish this thread would just go in the direction of how tricks got their names the pete rose and fat chance things were cool to know...
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
i second Jon D. and will defend Jason on his comments and ability.

lets turn this thread into a Hx lesson of how these insane tricks got there names.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-03-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
http://www.alliancewake.com/article_details.php?id=3173
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-04-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
I think Raley was named after Chet Raley...Mexican backrolls were named because Andrea Gayton, a mexican wakeboarder, did her backrolls like "frontflips." Those are the only ones I can think of
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-05-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
You are right on how the Raley was named. Chet Raley actually talks about it on a video way back in the day. I think it was a Hyperlite video but I can't remember the name of it. I think Shapiro landed it and named it after Chet.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
I love the crazy names... helps you distinguish a squid/newbie/yahoo from people who are actually dedicated to the sport. If you can't spot/call a Pete, Crow, DumDum, etc... then you probably are as in love with the sport as you want to think you are ;)

We could just call them "flippy thingies"
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
"aren't in love as you think you are" my bad.
Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-06-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
"I'm not an arrogant person, anyone who knows me can back that. And yes, I can land a lot of those tricks rather than just recognize them when they are thrown J-Sos."

it's all good man, i wasn't doubting your abilities.

this is just another example of when plain text can really mislead the meanings of people's thoughts/statements
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-06-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
^^^^^No worries. Text can be easily mislead. I didn't take it personal, just needed to clear the air. Now get out on the water and start landing some flippy spinny superman things!!!! lol
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-06-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
ok, this thread is as pointless as anything i have ever read. there are not even that many tricks, just learn what they are!!! i mean it isn't rocket science. if you are a passionate wakeboarder, it is no harder then learning concepts you are interested in when regarding other hobbies you hold interest in.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
I feel like open heart surgery would be way more complex than rocket science.
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       07-06-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
Whirly Dick

Hey mom I got my first whirly dick at the contest today!

Um...that's nice junior.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-06-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
it's nice to know that since I dont know all the names of tricks, that I don't love this sport as much as you guys. thanks for the insight.
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-06-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
30+ replies!!!! thats a personal record.....i win!