Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-21-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
i am working on building a box behind the kick panel of my '02 xstar. i was gonna take out the clarion sub and build a box that will hold two tens. anyone done this? i would LOVE to see pictures.

i think i have it all figured out, but i have one main concern. i had planned on using the exact same kick panel (a new one, but same size and shape) as the front of my box. i know right now you have to angle that panel a little bit to get it back into its original position. with a box built on the back of it, i dont know if that is gonna be possible. any thoughts, comments, or suggestions??

Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-21-2003, 9:04 AM Reply   
I hired a guy to do that for my '00 X-Star. However, even after relocating everything behind that pannel (heater, etc.) there wasn't enough space for a box that would support two subs. He tells me you have to stay true to the volume (space) requirements recomended by the manufacturer. I get the boat back Tuesday and can post pics at that time.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-21-2003, 9:42 AM Reply   
miggitty - so where are your two subs gonna be? i friend of a friend SWEARS he has two boxes built behind that kick panel. i wanted to make one for 2 10's instead of 2 seperate boxes. i dont have a heater, so that wont be a problem.

the space that the subs i am getting require
.6-.9 the measurements i had in mind have 1.6, but i am worried about it fitting in that space with the kick panel attached. so, thats why i might even go a little smaller. i got some work and figuring out to do.

let me know what your setup is gonna be and yes, definitely post pics when you get it back. thanks
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-21-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
have you looked into fiberglass box construction?
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-21-2003, 11:57 AM Reply   
tim, i am not really worried about the construction of it. i am worried about how this guy can fit 2 subs into that area. i know they could fit without the existing kick panel as the front of the box. BUT, once i mount the kick panel for the front, i am not sure i will be able to get it in there. i guess i will just have to build it piece by piece and see what happens.

thats why i was wondering if anyone has already done it.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-22-2003, 5:57 AM Reply   
I built a new Kick and box for 2 10's. Here are some pictures. It can be done with out a lot of work but you have to build them in the exact location and they can not be too big. I have 2 seperate enclosures, one is .68 and one is .51. The recomended size for my 10's were .5 to .75 so I was able to get enough air space. The reason for the different sizes was due to the fact that since the hull curves in and you have to build the box to the Kick Panel then try and angle it in while trying to get it past the cup holder was a little tricky. Here are some pictures. If anyone has any questions let me know. I will say this though, it makes a ton of difference. I also redid the amps and power. Here are the pics for that also.

Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-22-2003, 5:58 AM Reply   
I built a new Kick and box for 2 10's. Here are some pictures. It can be done with out a lot of work but you have to build them in the exact location and they can not be too big. I have 2 seperate enclosures, one is .68 and one is .51. The recomended size for my 10's were .5 to .75 so I was able to get enough air space. The reason for the different sizes was due to the fact that since the hull curves in and you have to build the box to the Kick Panel then try and angle it in while trying to get it past the cup holder was a little tricky. Here are some pictures. If anyone has any questions let me know. I will say this though, it makes a ton of difference. I also redid the amps and power. Here are the pics for that also.

Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-22-2003, 6:00 AM Reply   
Sorry about the double Pictures.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-22-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
stewart, that looks great!!!!! that is exactly what i was wanting to do. but mine require .6-.9

- you dont have any pictures of the back of the box, do you? that would help out a little. it looks like the box doesnt sit on the ground when the kick panel is in. it looks like it is suspended in the air. or am i just looking at that wrong?

- are the sides of the box touching the speakers? i thought i was gonna have to offset one speaker higher than the other because i felt like the box could be taller than it could be wide. i was thinking i would only have room for 19 inches from one side to the other. but that would mean i cant put them side by side like yours.

-i was thinking about taking out the white piece of plastic that is used as a brace for the kick panel. using the 2 existing holes to screw down the box to the floor of the boat.

-you dont have the dimensions for yours, do you?

sorry for all the questions. but any help is appreciated.

(Message edited by mossy44 on August 22, 2003)
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-22-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
Matt, the Box is suspended up off the floor so I could have gotten .6 or even .9. I will get a couple of Pictures of the back for you this weekend. I left the peice of Plastic and it wedges into the space nicely. I did not have to use anything to mount the whole thing, just press fit it in. The speakers do not touch the sides but they only have about 3/4 of a gap on the sides but about 3 or 4 inchs on the top and bottom. I think that I still have the mesurements somewhere so I will see about grabbing them. What subs are you using?
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-22-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
when you say "press fit it in", what do you mean? what part of the boat does the box touch besides the kick panel (since the kick panel is the front of it).

i am trying to figure out how the wieght of the box, weight of the speakers, and the vibration from the speakers could be suspended in the air like i am thinking it is. i would think that would cause problems. but then again, i am not very knowledgable with this stuff.

i am using the 10W3 V2 JL Audio www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=314&1=318&3=1471

if you could take pictures of the back and also find the measurements, that would be great!!!!!!!

i was planning on beginning this little project on monday night. so we will see what happens.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-25-2003, 6:01 AM Reply   
sorry for all the questions.

where did you get the carpet to match the boat? did you order it through your dealer? or did you find it locally?

also, how did you mount your amp board to that wall? is it mounted?

(Message edited by mossy44 on August 25, 2003)
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2003, 10:46 AM Reply   
Matt,

Your best bet is to order through an MC dealer, that way you can avoid shipping back and forth if its not the right color.

You may be able to get away with a local company. I have seen marine grade carpeting at my local upholstery supply house.

MC doesn't carry my style of carpeting from back in 1999 so I finally went with their direct supplier. The company is named, Syntec Industries. I ended up cutting a piece from a hidden location and sending it to them to match up.

http://www.syntecind.com
800-526-8428
Speak with Paulette
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-25-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
Hey matt I took the picutres of the back of the box this weekend but I had some problems downloading them. I will keep trying,
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-25-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
matt, the reason i asked is because I was able to fit two 12's under the drivers side dash of my 'bu by building a fiberglass box. they require 1.0 cu ft each.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-25-2003, 12:56 PM Reply   
tim - i am not very familiar with pros and cons of working with fiberglass. i am not even sure how fiberglass works. i can build the box myself with mdf, but fiberglass is another story for me. i guess thats why i hadnt thought about going that route. are you saying fiberglass would be easier? or just easier to mold into the correct shape?

building it like stewarts is possible, just trying to figure out the best way to do it. if to do exactly what stewart did or change it up just a tad bit. not sure. i was a little worried about all the weight suspended in the air like that.

stewart, if its getting the pictures from your camera to your computer, cant help ya. if its getting them on to this site, try emailing them to me. mbmoss@interstatebloodbank.com hope you are able to figure it out.

thanks for the help everyone.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-25-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
Matt the box is mounted with staples and is glued and sealed so the weight is not really and issue.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-25-2003, 8:51 PM Reply   
matt, it is really messy, takes a long time, lots of fumes. but when you are working in a tight space you can maximize the use of complex shapes.

to see some pics of my box, go here:

http://www.djtimmy.com/wakeboarding/sub_box/
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2003, 9:15 PM Reply   
I second Tim, I'm making a custom sub box from glass for my truck at the moment, it is messy, and time consuming, if it wasn't for the fumes it wouldn't be worth it.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-26-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
well, i got 2/3 of the box built last night. it fits so far(BARELY). i am gonna try and finish it tonight. wish my digital camera wasnt broken!!

tim, i remember seeing those pictures a while back. seems like a more reasonable approach. if only i trusted someone around here to do that kind of work in my boat, i would have.

the cup holder underneath the throttle in the xstar is just in the way. things would be so much easier if that wasnt there.

thanks for the help stewart and everyone. will let you know how it turns out.