Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-11-2017, 2:34 PM Reply   
I know that may be a bit of an oxymoron but we are limited to 20 footers where we live.

Also it'll be in salt water, and ideally under $75k...
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-11-2017, 2:50 PM Reply   
Hard to beat the new Axis A20 with surfgate for a 20ft boat surf boat
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-11-2017, 4:00 PM Reply   
Tige R20/ RZR are capable of a great wave for a 20 footer. If you can deal with their quality issues.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-12-2017, 5:36 AM Reply   
For new well under your $75k cap the Moomba Mondo. For a little more than your $75k a used SR400 if you can find one in the $80s. We have had both as we have a length limit in the lake. The SR hands down rides and feels more like a 23' boat than anything else under 21'.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       11-12-2017, 7:19 AM Reply   
I'm going with the Moomba lineup and will suggest the Helix. I got to demo one for a few months last year and this was the easiest boat to setup for surf. At 20.5' and a 102" beam this boat just feels huge and the storage is best in it's class. Demo one with the correct setup and save some cash.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-12-2017, 9:00 AM Reply   
Interesting. I also need to look into what kind of support structure the companies have (if any) here in Hawaii. No one likes the NxT20?

Thanks everyone.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-12-2017, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
Tige R20/ RZR are capable of a great wave for a 20 footer. If you can deal with their quality issues.
My buddy has an RZR that thing is perfect as far a quality. Its an unreal boat.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-12-2017, 2:37 PM Reply   
The NXT is smaller than both as it's more of a traditional hull than a pickle fork. Also they are narrower in the beam than the Mondo by a couple of inches and the SR buy almost 6" or more I think
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-12-2017, 4:30 PM Reply   
Unless there is a dealer, there is likely no official factory support. However, I have known some manufactures, like MB, to work through local repair shops to support a customer when there is no brick and mortar dealer in the area.

Id start by finding which, if any, manufacturers have dealers in your area. In a case such as the HI region, having a dealer might just trump any brand and feature differences. Most any boat out there these days, can produce a decent surf wave.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-12-2017, 5:19 PM Reply   
Moomba Helix or Tige RZR

No question there.

While the NXT 22 is respectable , the NaxT 20 is sub par in wake performance across boarding and surfing alike. Just about every other mfg 20ft Wakes blow it out of the water .

Honestly I would skip going new and pick up a slightly used Mastercraft X2, blows the doors off the NXT
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       11-12-2017, 10:14 PM Reply   
Me and my wife always talk about moving to Hawaii, but we would miss wakeboarding to much, are there many places to ride?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-12-2017, 11:23 PM Reply   
I honestly don't really know (we moved here 2 mo before our twins were born so been pretty busy with all that) but I don't think there is a lot of riding happening here outside of special events now and then. We live on the water in hawaii kai where there are a few shops that take tourists out in direct drive inboards; mostly tubing but some wakeboarding too - I think that might be the only place on the island unless disney and the other west side resorts take people out. Haven't seen a single private inboard. I'm still waiting to get off the waiting list to get a slip. It may not happen in time as we're thinking of moving back to Japan again in a few years.

There's a lake up in Kailua not too far from here but haven't seen anyone riding there either - not sure what the wake rules are there (nevermind, googled it, no go: http://www.kaelepulupond.org/enchant...ake-use-rules/).

Here in hawaii kai we have a few sections open for watersports but you have to be 20' or less otherwise you have to head out to sea. Lots of kiteboarders/paddleboarders and a couple places do the flyboarding/hoverboarding thing. So long story short, definitely doable if you live in/near Hawaii Kai. No idea about the other islands but I highly doubt it as getting any servicing would likely be impossible.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-12-2017, 11:58 PM Reply   
p.s. you do get warm riding weather all year round
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-13-2017, 6:49 PM Reply   
For my turn, I would pass on nxt20. Felt like it was too cheap for the price.
Moomba helix does really great for the price, good quality for the lowest price. Just Make sure to take the bigger ballast option because that boat totally Need to be heavy listed to make a good surf wave!
Axis A20 have an impressive wave, not really a fan of axis due to their "cheapness" but it’s definitelty does the job.
I had a tige RZR and to be honest it’s the best 20 footer on the market for the price. Thing is Tige is Tige and you have to deal with issues.
As I’m sold with Nautique I would say GS20, so much to offer. A bit expensive, but not overpriced. Sometimes it’s better to invest a little bit more to have a so much better product.

The best advice I can give you is check the dealers around you. Have a dealer near is always a good thing. And to be honest.. these days almost all brand are pretty much the same. Every boat will do the job, it’s very a personal choice. Buy a dealership instead of a boat, it will make your life easier! Every brand have their pos, cons and issues. The thing is how the dealer solve them. A well establish brand with more than one dealership in the region is a good point, easier to have parts, better product rolling.
I had a bad experience due to a small dealership and it was the only one in the state. Never had parts in stock and have to wait weeks to received. No
Competent mechanic and not enough space to take care of all their costumer.
Since that day I understood what it was to have I good dealer on your back.
Good luck!

Last edited by Mike88; 11-13-2017 at 6:51 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-13-2017, 6:55 PM Reply   
I know what you mean about Nautique. Loved my 2002 sante. Pretty sure nobody has a dealer out here so may go talk to the marina folks and see what they do with their nautique DDs.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       11-14-2017, 9:02 AM Reply   
We love our RZR. We have over 700 problem free hours. Just routine maintenance. It is run in brackish water half of the time.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-14-2017, 2:19 PM Reply   
The MC X20 would a top of the list item and MC is the top of the line when it comes to Salt Series boats.

Im on my Second Salt Series MC and they are great. The Nautique Coastal Edition is also a well made boat, but MC really goes above and beyond on the Salt Series and they have for a really long time.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-14-2017, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
The MC X20 would a top of the list item and MC is the top of the line when it comes to Salt Series boats.

Im on my Second Salt Series MC and they are great. The Nautique Coastal Edition is also a well made boat, but MC really goes above and beyond on the Salt Series and they have for a really long time.
And neither will fall in the 75k budget
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-19-2017, 12:20 PM Reply   
Tige rzr/r20 all the way. great waves with high class finish for a great price. 390 hours on mine and it's awesome
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-19-2017, 3:23 PM Reply   
Hey Wes,

I'm from Hawaii as well (currently live on the mainland - SLC, UT). My older brother, Reid, owned RNR Surf & Ski back in the day and ran a wakeboard pro shop & school at Kaneohe MCBH from 1995-2003.

While living in Hawaii Kai at Koko Marina is sweet, it's not really practical for wakeboarders & wake surfers because the home owners association makes a BIG deal of the size of the wakes. My friend use to live on the water there as well, and has a 2006 Nautique SV211. He was pumped because at the time, tournament boats needed to be waterski rated in order to run in Koko Marina. But he wanted a V-drive and fortunately, the SV211 was the only v-drive rated to pull a slalom ski tournament. But once he got on the water, he was getting hassled left & right by the HOA. So much so he moved off the water and found a house down the street. Are they now requiring a boat to be 20ft at max length to operate on the water there? If so, that's lame but not surprised. Riding in Koko marina was so bad because of all the chop created by the boats going in & out for scuba & parasailing, let alone the customers using the ski nautiques from Hawaii Sports (got to run in circles). I believe they still have the slalom course in the back water and if the wind is good, the water is good for riding. But it's been over 10 years since I rode there.

My suggestion to meet up with riders/surfers is join the Oahu Waterski Club and enjoy riding out at the protected ski club at Keehi Lagoon. There's 3 clubs, OWSC, Na Alii & Hawaii Water Ski Club. Your membership allows you access to the clubhouses & docks, while the water is actually open to anyone but 99.9% follow the etiquette of sharing the water by taking turns so the conditions stay as optimal as possible. Let me know if you want any of the clubs info & I can put in contact with the right people. My friends, Mike & Linda Asato own a Tige 20v and love to surf & sky ski, while my other friend Reuben Amondo owns a 2006 Malibu VLX and wakeboards.

The lake in Kailua is not rideable. There's really limited areas to ride on Oahu (Keehi Lagoon & Kaneohe Bay, with Koko marina being a last resort). On Kauai, there's the Wailua River but has regulations on size of wakes as well.

To your original question, I second what DFTR Josh said above. I was super impressed with the Moomba Helix. It has so much space that it didn't feel like a 20.5ft boat, and the wake was SWEET!

As for service opportunities on Oahu, your choices are very limited. Many ended up having to do things themselves, but one of our riding buddies is a very good mechanic so if any major issues came up, we went to him.

Aloha!