Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    sandvign            03-11-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
Haven't really heard anything else associated with the project. How are things going? Where's the project at status wise. What are the prices of season passes gonna run and when will the be able to be purchased? I'm so stoked, as I'm sure many others are as well, for this thing to open up hopefully this time next year. Thanks for any updates.
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-11-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
dont know about prices for season passes but for $10,000 you can be a VIP member

guess that means you can cut people in line and it will be legit?

Last edited by jrich; 03-11-2010 at 6:09 PM.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-11-2010, 6:10 PM Reply   
Isn't that park in Santee? I went through high school in El Cajon and remember Santee being even more East from there. Or is more towards grossmont? I guess the area grew up because back in 1980 it was sticks and bricks.
So It's all urban out East now? Figures....gotta go somewhere I guess.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-11-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
According to their site, it should be open Spring 2011.

http://www.sandiegocableboardpark.com/index.html

Tony
Old    sandvign            03-11-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Yeah its in Santee on the first lake in the chain of lakes there. I know its supposed to open next spring but the park was passed several months ago and with a restaurant and pro shop to build I'm sure there is progress going on or about to start at the site if it wants to open next spring. I just hadn't heard anything since the approval went through and their website doesn't have much info as of yet. Curious as to whats going down with it so far.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-12-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
What are the going rates for cable parks around the country? I see TSR at $25-36, and $29 for four hours.

The new San Diego park is advertising $40 for four hours. That's going to be a little too rich for most of the riders around here. I would suspect that business will be slow at that rate. It's a pretty tight community here and we all ride with each other. I don't know any boat owners letting riders kick in $40 for all day outings.

Just sayin'....
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-15-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
buy a year long pass.

Just sayin....
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-15-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
I think I payed $40 at KCW last year for a couple of hours. that inlcuded; helmet, vest & board rental though. I don't see that kind of money being too much of a deterrent anyways. most all regulars will be springing for an annual pass anyways.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
$40 for a 4 hour pass is pricey but not out of line with current pricing. I normally never buy more than a 2 hour pass unless I plan to make a whole day out of riding which would only really be if I had a free weekend.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-15-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
There will ONLY be 50 VIP membership sold.

$10,000 for the 1st 10 VIP Memberships sold (That’s only $330 per year!)

$12,500 for the 11th – 30th VIP Memberships sold (That’s only $417 per year!)

$15,000 for the 31st – 50th VIP Memberships sold (That’s only $500 per year!)

Get your name on our list first to save money and secure your VIP Membership Today!

We are not planning on offering any year long passes when the park opens.

Get your name on our list first to save money and secure your VIP Membership Today!

"We are not planning on offering any year long passes when the park opens."

^^First bad decision made IMHO"
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-15-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
I just emailed them some questions regarding pricing. seems stupid (for a lack of a better word) not to offer annual passes. who is going to fork over the dough for "VIP" memberships? I also think offering a two hour pass is a good idea, as most people who have not ridden cable before will be wiped out long before the four hours are up.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-15-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
here is the response I got from them. kudos for the quick reply.

"There will be a 2hr pass. Might not be a yearly. Maybe 9 months not June, July, August.The groups are loving the VIPs deal. Thanks for you input. We have been to over 25 parks thru the world.Spent over eight years working on cables research."

sounds like they are focusing on the corporate market for the VIP passes. seems kind of lame to throw that kind of stuff out there knowing full well your core riders will not be able to afford it,. however, they are running a business and are looking to bring some ROI back. either way, I can't wait for this to open.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-15-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
Members will receive:
1. Lifetime* VIP Pass transferable one time
2. VIP Cable Line (Fast-Pass= No Waiting)
3. 10 VIP Guest Pass Every Year
4. Permanent Concrete VIP Marker “San Diego Walk of Fame”
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
WOW the no waiting this is insane!! Pretty much the only reason not to ride cable on the weekend is that it isn't worth the wait especially if you are trying new tricks. That no waiting thing is going to REALLY piss people off though that's for sure.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-15-2010, 5:09 PM Reply   
I am a operator down here at mccormicks and I could see why they would want to do a VIP pass but if they get 1/5th of the VIP pass holders there at one time to get to the front of the line that's going to be insane! Literally I couldn't see how it could be done I know I would get frustrated being in a seperate line of 10-15 people and watching people cycle through the other line over and over..... thank god that's not going to ever happen to our park Btw that makes me almost not even want to ever go to that park
Old    sandvign            03-15-2010, 10:28 PM Reply   
If they dont do season passes I'll go like 2 times a year. Dumbest move over if they dont.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-16-2010, 4:38 AM Reply   
Not offering an annual pass is ridiculous
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-16-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
San Diego Cable Park,

What is your rationale for not having an annual pass?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-17-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
I don't have any info on the passes, but as far as construction, I was told they will start construction in September. I know they have been all over and have done a ton of research with other parks, etc. I am sure there will be some changes as far as passes, etc, but am pretty confident that they will have something that will work for everyone. Can't wait!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-17-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
They actually do have an annual pass, but they've split it into two pieces (if that makes sense), which increases your options. I believe there is a summer pass (3 months) and an "off-season" pass (other 9 months). You can buy them both and you've got an annual pass. However, if you're a summer-only rider and you'd like to hit those three months hard, you can choose just to buy that part of it. If you don't mind riding the off-season and you're looking for some cheaper riding with fewer crowds, then you can get the off-season pass. Seems to me they've improved on the annual pass by making it more flexible for all riders.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-17-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Dave - I specifically mentioned an annual pass when I emailed them, and his response had nothing about an annual pass in it. are you certain about the annual? I could not find anything on their site either about it.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-17-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
As far as the VIP sales go, it will be interesting to see how they handle that. Considering that there will only be 50 sold, the odds of their being more than a few at the park at any given time seem slim. I don't know how they are going to integrate those VIP's into the line, but I would assume if you had 5 VIP's in line they would switch off with the regular riders or something like that. I doubt very much that 10 VIP's could take over the park with no regular riders getting a ride. Obviously, it all depends on how they handle it, so we will see.

The one thing they do have going for them is demand. We're talking about San Diego here. A county of 3 million with one of the best climates in the world and one small overcrowded fresh water lake on which we're allowed to wakeboard. I believe they will sell whatever passes they offer and they can probably get higher rates than any other cable park in the world. It's just simple supply and demand.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-17-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
They have a summer and an off-season pass. If you buy both of those, you're covered for the year. So even though they may not have something that you can buy that says "ANNUAL PASS" on it, you can effectively buy an annual pass.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-17-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
perfect, all we needed to know, thanks for the reply Whats the big push to raise the $500K? Do they not have enough $ to fund the build?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-17-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
I'm assuming the push to raise money is because they're about to build a very expensive cable park. I know if I was building it, I'd try to sell as much as I can up front so that I can keep more of my money in my pocket.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-17-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
thanks for the info Dave.
anyone down there going to "bite" on the opportunity to open a board shop there?? It sounds like they are looking. hopefully they will be carrying Slingshot products.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-17-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
The fact that they are seeking investors at this point and offering VIP's is interesting. It means they don't have all the equity for the project yet or at least are looking to spread the risk. Unless they needed to, why would they be giving away ownership? Not at all uncommon for a real estate or business deal, but far from a done deal currently. Let's hope the money piles up and it's off to smooth sailing.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-18-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
Does anyone know what the minimum is for investors? Is it 50-100K?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-18-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
I believe it's $25,000 per share and they are looking to sell 49 of 100 shares (don't quote me on that). However, I think their preference is to sell it all to one investor. You can get on a "waiting list" to buy a share and if it gets to a point where they are willing to sell to multiple investors, they will give you a call. This is for the cable park only. The restaurant, snack shop and pro shop are separate pieces.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       03-18-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I believe it's $25,000 per share and they are looking to sell 49 of 100 shares (don't quote me on that). However, I think their preference is to sell it all to one investor. You can get on a "waiting list" to buy a share and if it gets to a point where they are willing to sell to multiple investors, they will give you a call. This is for the cable park only. The restaurant, snack shop and pro shop are separate pieces.
interesting... they only wat to sell shares to the part that has the most overhead (risk) and least upside in profit margins. Nice...... I'm sure there are tons of investors jumpig on that. I have bee buying up business' lately ad investing in blocks of ownership and that is a major red flag turn off.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-18-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsolis220 View Post
interesting... they only wat to sell shares to the part that has the most overhead (risk) and least upside in profit margins. Nice...... I'm sure there are tons of investors jumpig on that. I have bee buying up business' lately ad investing in blocks of ownership and that is a major red flag turn off.
Damn, did this developer bully you in school or something? Why is everyone so negative before they know the facts? This guy has just about pulled off the impossible by getting a cable park in Cali and look at all the negativity on this thread. What's up with that?

The project is split into four pieces; the cable park, the restaurant, the snack shop and the pro shop. The restaurant, snack shop and pro shop are all for sale/lease. 49% Of the cable park is for sale. So actually the opposite of what you said is true. Everything is for sale but the majority ownership of the cable park.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-18-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Semi-annual passes are pretty common at cable parks. Rixen's pass is only for 4 months at a time. I found it cheaper to do 2 hour passes at $20 then to pay $500 for the 4 month pass and this was riding 3-4 days a week. I never spent more than 2 hours riding so I had no need for a pass that let me ride all day.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-18-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
I agree with Dave and was hesitant to make my observations because of where it might go. While he's still raising some equity and seeking owner/operators for the board shop, restaurant, etc., the developer did pull off a fantastic feat spending significant time, money and risk getting this approved. Site plans, studies, engineering, attorneys, permits and management time costs a lot of money and up until approval it was totally at risk. In fact, until it's built and operating, his money and time investment is still at risk.

Good deals always are able to attract equity and debt money. Because of the demand, this will undoubtedly make a good deal. Let's do our part for the demand!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-18-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
I have not looked at a map or anything yet, but was curious as to the distance (both time and mileage estimates) from carlsbad.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-18-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Train:

No traffic approx. 35-45 minutes.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-18-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
thanks blabel. that is what I had thought.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-19-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
spring pass, fall pass, winter pass, whatever I will have them all, my contribution will be to revenue for the cable park, the proshop, and the restaurant, especially since adult beverages will be on tap.

Possibly camping for numerous days, and I am thinking about leaving my Trailer there all winter
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
I was wondering if there is any update. i would think they should be breaking ground anyday if they plan on opening by spring.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
you don't raise equity you raise capital. you gain equity.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-07-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hmmm... I had an appointment in Santee this morning and decided to run by the cable park lake just to take a look. Wasn't necessarily expecting dirt to be moving yet but it should be moving soon for a Spring 2011 opening. While pulling up to the park gate I spoke with the employee there who said that "they've missed construction start deadlines" and other contracted dates. "Who knows if it will ever be built." Combine this with the fact that the developer has been seeking equity capital all year confirms my suspicions that a cable park in Santee is still tentative, not definite.

Sure wish it was definite, though.
Old     (JohnM)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-07-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
Sounds like the consulted Jerry Jones to establish their pricing packages.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-07-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
last time I asked, the developer was working on finishing up other projects first before they started this one
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-07-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
I have a strange feeling that this will not be opening in 2011 at all.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-07-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
Faced with tremendous uncertainty, the developer is probably sitting on his hands!:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784004