Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
Are there any pics out there of the 2010 X35? I googled it and came up with pics for the 2010 X2 and other MC's - just no X35. I could have swore they added a couple new features, but the MC website is still showing last years pics. Maybe they didnt change anything for 2010 on the X35 - just curious.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-05-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
Only changes to the X-35 will be a new dash with the BIG display and a new clarion deck with the option to upgrade to one with a DVD player in it.

New options will include a tower mounted camera that displays through the dash, surf tabs and a plug and play ballast system that allows for easy B.I. ballast integration.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
Dreevs just the dash and surf tabs like corey said. There is a 2009 here in WH cheap call me or pm me and I'll give you the details.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
Didnt they do a walk thru down the center on the back platform (between the cushions on the engine cover) - or was that the X55?
Billy - you talking about that metal flake one you have? I always wondered if its SS?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
No not an SS the walk thru is the 55 I believe.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
Do you need a SS?
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-05-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Ted,
there is also optional seating instead of the sink and fridge. It was around last year but not very common. Walk thru is on the 55, 45, and 30.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
Someday, when Im ready to buy - its got to be SS.
Kids on the way in December. We plan to take on and beat Parks record. I will need a boat to do so... unless one of my friends wants the fame of being the tow boat...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
Looks like a good option for what I want to use it for. Maybe MC will put it in special for me cuz of my plan. I noticed a buddy of mines XStar SS had starter issues - then we noticed the water was dripping straight thru and on top of the starter. A newer model X2 SS that I saw actually has a plastic guard above it to divert the drips.
I dont want to be that anal guy that has everyone towel off before they get in the boat...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
Yeah theres not going to be a perfect SS boat. Saltwater is hard on stuff for sure. I think MC still has the best option for salt though. CC is still using a steering cable on theirs, which does not make sense at all.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Technically the Coastal Addition has the sealed steering cable and stainless steel steering tube with lubrication provision - or so the website goes. MCs is hydralic or...?
Salt can be hard on stuff, but I like to ride everywhere. MC does seem to be ahead of the curve with SS, but everyone else seems to be coming up with a salt "package" - I even noticed Axis had a salt package - although they give no details on their site about it - only list it as an option.
Competition is good for me! I want to see three seperate boats with salt packages a year old, with similar hours to see who holds up the best. Used to be there was no way to do that, but now...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
MC is hydraulic and so is all your top saltwater fishing boats. Stainless can still corrode and rust. I dont know why they wouldnt just go to Hydraulic and save the explanations.
The other thing is all there latches on seats pit and corrode and carpet in storage areas. the carpet stinks bad after a short time in saltwater. They may have changed that now, not sure.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
Carpet is a bad idea on a salt boat. Its a bad idea to make it permanent on any boat. It was the one thing I really hated on my Malibu. Nothing dries in Florida and I have 2 huskies. By the end of the weekend my boat was always a hairy wet stinky mess - reminded me of my first girlfriend...
Malibu has snap in now, but still has permanent carpet on the vertical sections why not just take it all out and add snaps?
I thought MCs steering was Hydralic - its the same as my Dad's offshore boat I believe
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
MC is hydralic CC is not. Thats what I meant. CC still uses carpet in storage compartments as well or I should say felt instead of carpet its cheaper.
Old     (ridersdad)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-08-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
Here are some pictures.

http://www.nefwm.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=02257044X10K8K2009J12I15I 15JPMQ2835R0&veh=1322001&nv=y
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Wow, I really like the layout without the sink and fridge. Looks like it has a ton of room and storage.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-08-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
The cool thing to do is get it with the sink but no frig. A buddy of mine rerouted his heater hose to the storage compartment (where the frig goes) and made a towel warmer out of it. Very nice on chilly days to have a toasty towel.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       10-08-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Nice boat but that dash is horrible. Way too much going on. all those jagged little aluminum shapes just look ridiculous.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-08-2009, 8:54 PM Reply   
Dreaver,
I just finished a year - 120 hours on my 09 X-15 SS. I live on the salt water. I use my boat exclusively in salt water, moore it in salt water all summer - taking it out to clean every 2 weeks. Some times I wake up and find seals sleeping on my boat.

I had a Malibu prior. The reason I went MC was because of their Salt Water package.

They are way ahead of the curve. I researched it a lot before I bought my boat last winter.

Natique just came out with their salt water package this summer and Malibu doesn't really have a salt water package. MC has been putting out salt water models for 6 years or more.

1 year in the salt and my boat still looks pretty much brand new.

MC has stainless on most everything, everything is grounded to a massive zinc (which I had to replace mid summer - meaning it is doing its job), the steering is hydrolic, the closed cooling is complete, it has dripless shaft packing, the sea stainer is hard-core, and the X35 has the cockpit drains that really work.
You already mentioned the carpet that snaps out. I thought I would take my carpet out, but I leave it in. It is nice. The fact I can take it out to clean it, then hang it up to dry out - makes it all good.
I also have a fresh water wash down - which is cool. I threw in the Fly High Ballast system to add extra weight.

The cock pit drains on the X15 are too high to really work.

They still have room for improvement.
The water dripping from the engine cover onto the back of the engine was an issue I knew about before I bought the boat. My dealer, Darren in Seattle, installed a little catch that catches that water and routes it into the cockpit drains. That works perfectly.

The engine is coates with really good paint - I haven't seen any rust spots. I spray my engine down with Volvo Anti Corrosion spray all the time, but I did that on my old boat too.

You are right, having a dry boat is important - and you don't want to be some anal dude making everyone take off wetsuites and towel off on the swim step.

My X-15 is really dry. There is rarely water in the engine compartment - unless we had a rain storm. Most of the time it is pretty much dry. The eingine evaporates the small amount of water that comes in. Sometimes, I get small salt deposites on the underside of my engine hatch from the evaporation - with is much better than a puddle of water under the engine.

When there is water in the boat, it collects in the middle - where there is a second bildge pump - to pump it out. My old Malibu, always had a big puddle of water in the bilge - which sucked and helped corrode the boat.

What else... getting really picky:

I have the chrome or aluminium? tower.
I noticed a little bit of pitting where the tower is attached to the boat. I got some stuff that takes that off and protects it. A painted or carbon tower might be less maintainance.

The handle above the swim step is aluminum and has a tiny bit of pitting.

I recommend not getting the MC cover. My dealer was able to order my a Ryan cover. That is key - because I sometimes get seals crawling all over the cover, and the Ryan is strong enough to handle that abuse.

I hope this info helps.

As I said, it isn't perfect - but I think MC is as good as you will get for an inboard wake boat on the salt water.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-08-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
When I was asking questions about salt water boats last year, I couldn't get much feedback.

I figured, I would write a long post for you - because you might not get much feedback on this subject
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-09-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
^^^ "Seals"???? Do you club em to get them off
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-09-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
I want to see some pics of seals on the MC! That's awesome.

I remember wakeboarding in the ocean by Hornby Island (off vancouver island) on my old I/O ... went past a small island with literally 100+ seals on it. Every time I went down in the area there were seals within 10 feet coming to see what was up! Pretty weird feeling for sure...
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-09-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
No joke, they are pretty much domesticated. One time a baby seal jumped up on my swim step when I was in the boat. I actually pet the guy, instead of clubbing him. He didn't jump off until I fired up the engine. I will see if I have any pictures.

Most of the time, they chill on the swim step - which isn't a big deal. Every now and then, they will climb up on the cover.

One morning I had 3 large fish heads on my boat cover. A seal had dinner there the night before or something.

The Ryan cover is money. It holds up to all that abuse.

A floating hydrolic boat lift might be in my future.

I don't bother asking the question "how do I keep seals off my boat" - on this site.

There were reports transient seal eating orcas in my neck of the woods. Hopefully, the stick around for a while.