Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       05-26-2011, 5:58 AM Reply   
I have landed this trick before but lately I am not getting any pop of the wake and landing on my heals. any advice? wake is plenty big, cutting in hard (toeside) and trying to burry my nose in my right armpit.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-26-2011, 6:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
cutting in hard (toeside) and trying to burry my nose in my right armpit.
That could be your problem right there. One really common bad habit people (myself included) develop is throwing the trick right off the wake without getting the upward pop first. Leave it later, and don't try to throw the flip and 180 in one. First the flip, then once that's started, the 180.
Just think POP, flip, 180.

Also one problem you could have is bringing the handle up to your head, trying to get your nose into your armpit. Really the handle should stay low and not go much higher than, say, your nipple line at most. A video would be more helpful though
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       05-26-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
Probably crouching too much, not proggressing the edge, not weighting the board right. Cut out 10-15' past white wash, start slow really progress the cut as you come into the wake while keeping your chin up and back straight. Have your weight 70/30 on your front foot, this alone will innitiate the flip. Once popped throw the flip.

There are a few ways to get the 180... I was doing front rolls before scarecrows so I like keeping my form and having the handle down near my waste and simply shifting it over to the left hip. This allows for a real smooth turn and makes it really easy to drop your right hand if I need to speed up the rotation and/or throw in a grab.
Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       06-03-2011, 5:55 AM Reply   
here are two pictures of me trying it this past weekend. Im not getting enough height still. any other advice?
Attached Images

Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       06-07-2011, 6:46 AM Reply   
should I try the front roll first?
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       06-07-2011, 7:52 AM Reply   
Looking at your first picture... You are really bent over at the waist, this is most likely how you came in on your edge. As noted before, when approaching the wake keep your back straight and chest up. In the picture your hands are pretty much straight out from your head, you've already innitiated the turn and the flip and you're not even 1/4 away over the wake.... Slow down. You are throwing the trick too hard and too early. The scarecrow is a pretty effortless move when down right. Weight your front foot, square up to the wake, throw the front roll then shift the handle.

Tons of videos on youtube on how to do this trick. Video yourself and compare. You'll pick out pretty quick what you need to change.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
1. Stand tall ALLLLLL the way through the wake.... do not leave early - this trick is quick and dirty, no need to rush it.
2. Pop and as you leave the TOP of the wake (don't go early) pull with both hands bringing the handle to your rear hip
3. I usually put my back ear to my back shoulder turning my head sideways a bit

* You should rotate around your rear hip (center point of all the movement)....

As you come around look for the water, extend and absorb the landing.