Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-07-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
The boat is a malibu sunsetter, but in general, how high are your bunks so the center keel doesnt hit the cross member?? I have it so the 2x6 will be 21" apart inside to inside (exactly what the main bunks are on the trailer). The picture is just a 2x4 clamped to the top of the bracket for visual referrence. Its angled at approximately what the bunks are on the trailer, I used a sliding t bevel and "copied" the angle of the trailer bunks. Thanks in advance for any input

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-07-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=10992

http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthrea...ighlight=bunks
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-07-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
I have 2x6 bunks on top of a 2x12 on it's side. Her's an old pick of an older boat I had on my lift.
Attached Images

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-07-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
adam... with that set up... was there plenty room between your center keel and the cross member??
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-07-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
I wouldnt' say there was plent, but it was enough. with the way it's designed it is impossible for the boat to hit anything but the bunks.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-07-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
Keep in mind that every inch you raise the bunks - you'll have to raise the canopy by as much Bryce. My buddy Shawn made "risers" for his canopy to lift it another 6" for his X2. If you get to the point where you need to raise the canopy further, we can cruise up to Medicine in Plymouth and check out his canopy risers.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-07-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
You have a minimum hight or clearance to achieve. That said, once you determine the clearance you are faced with shorter bunks on a narrow stance or taller bunks on a more broad stance. Also consider your working depth if you are tidal high bunks may have you waiting for water at low tide.
Go as wide as you can for ease of settling on the lift and stability once lifted. If the hull has stakes avoid lining the bunks upon the strakes for a couple good reasons.
1) Small boat strakes tend to thin, weak and not backed up.
2) On wide bunks the hull will level itself nicely if resting on the hull flats. If resting upon the strakes it's easy to a little stuck crooked sometimes.

Good luck.

Oh..... and nice legs.

Last edited by baitkiller; 06-07-2010 at 9:09 AM. Reason: I like legs
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-07-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
adam... about how wide did you go with your 2x12's?? looks like a nice set-up.... i'm envious
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-10-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
heres what i got so far, a bracket will bolt to a 2x6 and run flat from front to back, so that will raise it up a few inches, it will be close, but if anything i'll put another small piece of 2x6 between bracket and "main bunk" to raise it up more.