Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (king_of_the_wake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-06-2012, 7:16 PM Reply   
hey, im looking into getting a new board this year, i was looking for a board thats very aggressive and has lots of pop. what do you fellow riders suggest i get

im 150 lbs , and 5'6 tall , male

Last edited by king_of_the_wake; 04-06-2012 at 7:19 PM.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-06-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
marek
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-06-2012, 7:34 PM Reply   
The Marek has a ton of speed and pop, and it's actually very forgiving. At least the 2010 I rode was. The 2012 is supposed to be even smoother with its softer rails.

Also, check out the Slingshot Lyman.
Old     (king_of_the_wake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-06-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
is it a good board ? and what size would you suggest ?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-06-2012, 9:18 PM Reply   
For what you want and your size, look at a Slingshot Lyman 140
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2012, 5:28 AM Reply   
Hyperlite Parks
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-07-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_of_the_wake View Post
is it a good board ? and what size would you suggest ?
No such thing as good boards and bad boards IMO. It's personal preference. I would suggest the 140.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-07-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Bill or from what I've heard the Ronix Parks, or if you can afford it the One Timebomb. I'd say 138/139 area. Anything about 140 seems kinda big for your height and weight.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-07-2012, 12:36 PM Reply   
^^^ one is not an aggressive shape. Base weight for a 140 is 125lbs.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-07-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
Bill or from what I've heard the Ronix Parks, or if you can afford it the One Timebomb. I'd say 138/139 area. Anything about 140 seems kinda big for your height and weight.
The next smallest size is the 134. I ride an SS Recoil 134 at about 147 lbs and it works fine. I've always liked a smaller board, but now I'm experimenting with the next size up and I think there's a lot of upside. Softer landings, bigger pop, more speed, etc. That's why I recommended the 140 to OP. 134 would be fine for him as well.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-07-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
I ride the Wakeology Stoke 137, it's an aggressive 3 stage with plenty of pop and release off the wake. I used to ride the Parks and transitioned to the Stoke very well and love the idea that it has the middle spine.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-07-2012, 3:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
^^^ one is not an aggressive shape. Base weight for a 140 is 125lbs.
Yeah but the timebomb is meant to be really stiff and explosive. I know the regular one is mellower
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-07-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
x2 for the lyman, there are a lot of great companies out there, i've ridden quite a few of them, but slingshot is doing some really new awesome stuff. I haven't ridden an un-aggressive slingshot yet, they are all fast.
Old     (king_of_the_wake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2012, 6:42 PM Reply   
thanks for all the suggestions, ill be sure to go check them all out , thanks
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-09-2012, 3:01 PM Reply   
haha When I opened this, I was wondering how long it would take before somebody threw 05-06 Hyperlite Parks out there. Suspicion confirmed! haha Kurt, if you want the most aggressive boar ever made, that's the one to get lol. Otherwise, there have been several good suggestions. Look for something with a pretty sharp edge tip to tail that's built for speed. A few that come to mind, the Ronix Viva, Ronix Mana, SS Lyman, and Hyperlite Marek would all be good routes to investigate. These boards here should all have pedal to the metal speed with which to crash the wake with. There are undoubtedly other good suggestions out there as well.
Old     (STLBlues4)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-09-2012, 6:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7708 View Post
haha When I opened this, I was wondering how long it would take before somebody threw 05-06 Hyperlite Parks out there. Suspicion confirmed! haha Kurt, if you want the most aggressive boar ever made, that's the one to get lol. Otherwise, there have been several good suggestions. Look for something with a pretty sharp edge tip to tail that's built for speed. A few that come to mind, the Ronix Viva, Ronix Mana, SS Lyman, and Hyperlite Marek would all be good routes to investigate. These boards here should all have pedal to the metal speed with which to crash the wake with. There are undoubtedly other good suggestions out there as well.
Is the Mana a fast board? I've always heard they were on the slow side, but I've been wanting to ride one for a while now.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-09-2012, 7:24 PM Reply   
The Mana is faster than the One, although not as fast as the viva, to be honest the entire Ronix line is composed of slower boards. The free ride feel is what this company aims for aside from the viva which is a semi fast board. The Mana will take you where ever you want to go (just watch Dean Smith, dude goes HUGE!), as posted earlier though, the fastest line of boards out there imho is the slingshot line. The edges on those bad boys are like snowboard edges!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-09-2012, 10:15 PM Reply   
Matt,

I agree with Bryce that the construction of the SS line lends itself to high speeds. The Mana used to be a slower board, but since Dean has gotten ahold of it, it's dialed more for higher speed cuts.
Old     (Marksy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-11-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
+1 for the 2011/12 Viva

I was riding a mates Mana before jumping on this board. I found the Mana had great pop but i wasnt sold on its speed and edge. I jumped on the Viva and while it has a little less pop than the MANA from a more subtle rocker what you gain in speed and control in my opinion outweighs the loss of pop. the VIVA is an awesome board.
Old     (TSimpson)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-17-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
I have the 2011 Ronix Ibex right now and it has soooo much pop you can barely be moving into the wake and still sky. It also handles very well and looks sweet
If you don't believe me research some reviews on it and see what you think. It the best board I've ever had
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       04-17-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
I would suggest either the Ronix Bill board, or the Viva. Both are very fast boards, and the Bill has a TON of pop off the wake. The Viva has slightly less due too the more continuous rocker.
Old     (jimmyd)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-19-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
I have a couple of extra new 2012 Liquid Force setups I can hook someone up with. If anyone is interested, message me and I will give you details. (You won't find a better deal on a new setup!!)
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-23-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
I would get one of these!! lmao

Then heres the newer version of that old board 09. Parks CARBON!! Yes, its was exensive but worth every pennie.
Attached Images

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-23-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
Aggressive is not really a good description. What does it mean?

Do you mean:

Fast (Smooth pop/ Early release) or slow (Vertical pop / Late Release)
Tight (responsive) or Loose (Forgiving)

Truthfully, There are a few boards that are extreme in any of the 4 catagories. A balance works the best for most all riders.