Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-27-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
Is this true? Definitely not trying to start a rumor, but I heard this from an industry source...

Can anyone verify this?
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-27-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
A lot of the companies have been temporarily shutting down production. They can't keep making boats at the same pace as before when no one is buying them.

I can't verify whether or not they actually are, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

(Message edited by detonate69 on February 27, 2009)
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-27-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
I'd be suprised if there were inboard boat manufacturers who have not shut down manufacturing a little here and there. It's probably pretty common in slow times to close for a week or two. I don't think it means anything, just a business decision.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-27-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
^^^ doh - David beat me to it :-)
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-27-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
ian will you check my for sale post. sorry about the jack.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
I called Centurion and they are building boats a both plants and have had an increase in orders in the last few weeks they did shut down for 2 weeks over Christmas and 1 week for Thanksgiving....It is slow but they do have boats to build

I have heard this rumor about several other boat companies. I did not want to post anything because most of what is circulating is BULL but I would agree with OnlyInboards.com.
Temporary shutdowns or 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, longer holidays some layoffs or what ever makes sense for the company

(Message edited by krbaugh on February 27, 2009)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
I did just get this Google alert http://www.volunteertv.com/news/headlines/40445087.html
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-27-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
I doubt that Centurion would close down for a long period of time since they are building 2 or 3 other lines right now. I have personally seen the Gekko line and have heard that Epic is being built out of the CA plant. I hate it all around for the other companys that are going through such a hard time, but maybe it is time to start pricing boats so people can afford them. Take a little profit on a hundred boats instead of all the profit on just one boat.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-27-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
The problem is exactly what is stated in that article about MC. People are out there to buy, but can not get financed. The banks are now going to play a role in putting these companies out of business.
Old     (spyderwinches)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-27-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
You are going to see alot of boat dealer go out of bussiness becuz the rates that the banks are giving are way to high for flooring the boats and an effect of that is dealers not being able to make order to the factories to build more boats. And when order dont come in the plants shut down till they have enough to open back up for a while. So it comes down to the banks raising the rates to a rediculous # and the dealers not being able to afford to floor boats any more.
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-01-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
Yeah I get the flooring deal and I know a lot of OEMs have had extended gaps in production and massive reductions.

I am talking about a more permanent shut down, or at least an indefinite shut down.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
Look I know where this started yes the person in the company that started it. The person is someone in one of the other boat companies that is laying people off and doing limited production. HE NEEDS TO KNOCK IT OFF! Because I can name names!

So I am here and know saying this rumor is NOT TRUE!
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-01-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
send the plant to mexico.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-01-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Kevin, call them out! That way everyone knows he is BS!
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-01-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
Thanks Kevin and my apologies if I furthered a viscous rumor. Cheers.