Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
How short can a lake be for an ok run? im used to a huge lake (lanier) but now my pickings are slim anybody ride a small lake?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-01-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
Hah Donald don't worry you will find lots of lakes up here that are great. I have been on tiny lakes before for the day. Not exactly where I would want to ride all the time, but fine for a day.

Near Minneapolis area we have ridden Round Lake in Andover it is teeny. Lake Josaphine, Snail Lake and Island Lake are all ridable but pretty dang small lakes in the Shoreview (north suberbs) area.

Where are you living/storing the boat now anyways???
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
The problem is im in rochester. The closest lakes are zumbro and peppin, zumbro is small and peppin is a little far. I wish i was up by the cities looks like a great wake scene.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-01-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
I forgot about that.... You know now that you mention it I have friends from Rochester they just came up a couple weeks ago and I remember them saying something like your county is the only county in MN with no lakes? Something like that. Could that be true?

LOL thanks Google:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olmsted_County,_Minnesota
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 654 square miles (1,695 kmē), of which, 653 square miles (1,691 kmē) of it is land and 1 square miles (4 kmē) of it (0.23%) is water. It is one of four counties in the state with no natural lakes.

Lakes

Although Olmsted County contains no natural lakes, it does have six reservoirs created by dams.

* Chester Lake: Eyota Township
* Lake Florence: High Forest Township
* Lake George: Rochester Township
* Mayowood Lake: Rochester Township
* Shady Lake: Township and New Haven Township
* Silver Lake: Haverhill Township and Cascade Township
* Lake Zumbro (partially): Oronoco Township

-----

http://www.rochesterwaterskishow.com/ They ride on Zumbro.

(Message edited by WakeMikey on April 01, 2009)
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-02-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
Wow thanks mike.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-02-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
How short of a lake are you talkin? cause the lake i run on isn't that big.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-02-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
i found a small man made lake here in town its about 1400 ft long
Old     (vguy75)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-02-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
dhtige,

I'm assuming you're talking a boat run vice cable.

OWC (Orlando Watersports Complex) is approx. 1800'+ long and I'd say the boat probably uses around 1500' - 1600' including turn arounds. Slalom skiing length was okay, but due to the narrow width it was kind of tiring to turn around as the ski really bogged down. For wakeboarding it didn't seem like people were having any issues. I was only at OWC for two days. Maybe some locals will chime in.

I'd say it's doable, but you definitely want a driver who knows what they're doing. I'd also suggest a maneuverable boat, ideally with a lot of power and/or re-propped, so it can make tight turns and accelerate quickly.

Our lake is approx 2500' long (2000'ish usable for an inboard). All I would consider using on it would be something like a 2001 Nautique, Prostar 190 or Supra Comp (ie. something very maneuverable). I have a 16' Sidewinder with an outboard and I'd rather drive 5 minutes to the marina and use a larger lake as the Sidewinder isn't maneuverable enough for an "average" driver. I'd be happy driving it, but wouldn't feel overly comfortable with friends or my wife driving it on such a small lake. If I had something with more power and turn fins I might think differently.

Hopefully this helps.