Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
Last year near the end of the year we accidentally scuffed the prop on the ramp while loading. While there was noticeable scuffs and slight bends on the prop, there didn't appear to be serious problems or vibrations, so we didn't have it repaired over the off season. This year, in the short time (~4 hours) we've run her, it seems that there is a bit more vibration than I remember it ever having. Its not like the boat is shaking or anything, but there does seem to be more vibration being transmitted through the boat. Would a bent prop do this, or is this in the drivetrain? How much are new props, and how difficult are they to replace? Is this something better left to professionals?
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Yes, you need a pro prop repair. New $300-$350.
Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-06-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Darrel, thanks for the comment. Ok, so I'm needing a new prop for the Maristar 225 with the LT1. We've got a three blade right now, and haven't had any complaints. Should I be upgrading to a four blade? Where do people recommend for getting props? Will I need any special tools to replace it?
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
I like ACME props, You can call them and talk to Bill Weeks, he can help you pick a prop.Then buy the prop else where, Acme wont undersale their dealers.... Try Deltaprops or Boarditup... not sure who has the best prices/service. The new 3 blades many times are better than the 4's. Get your old prop repaired for a backup. Get a prop puller or "weekend saver" kit, it will pay for itself 1st time you need it.
Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-06-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
Darrel, thanks so much. Will I need a prop puller to install the new one, or will I be able to do it with standard shop tools?
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
The puller is for removing them, and most of the time you will need one, sometimes you can get lucky just not when you need to. To put a prop on....
first slide it up the shaft w/o the key in place.
with a sharpie, mark where it stops on the shaft then remove prop.
now, replace prop w/ the key in the keyway, make sure it slides up to where your sharpie mark is.
tighten down.
replace cotter pin
only tool you need is a big crescent wrench.

(Message edited by 95sn on July 06, 2007)
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
You may find the prop comes off without a puller. I just removed mine and even wih a puller it took a lot of heat from a propane torch and some hammering to free it.

Others i have had have just required a light tap.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-09-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
could you get a gear puller on there to pull a prop off?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-10-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
I pulled my prop last night using a gear puller with two arms. Worked perfect. The gear puller is only $20, better than a $100 for a prop puller. I'm buying an extra gear puller to keep in my boat.