Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    rpetersn            10-04-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
I have an opportunity to purchase a 99 Mastercraft X-Star for a decent price and would love to know if anyone has had any success surfing behind this boat? I've only tried wakesurfing behind an 04 Malibu VLX and I'm hooked...want to get my own boat now. Any advice from anyone? Thanks in advance.
Old    rpetersn            10-05-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
Anyone? Any experience or tips on weighting this boat? How different is the 99 from say 2000 - 2004 re: wake size, etc. I'm nervous (being a newbie) to drop this much cash and end up with a boat that barely works for surfing...please, any advice? My window of opportunity on this purchase is waning....:-)
Old    dogbeater            10-06-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
i have a 2001 x-star/205v and the surf wake is pitiful... no mater how its weighted.
Old    rpetersn            10-07-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
Thanks....I appreciate the input....I'll keep looking for the right boat during the winter months.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-10-2005, 11:28 PM Reply   
97 X-Star is incredible :-) should be the same hull as a 99 I believe
Old    dogbeater            10-14-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
i have an 01... could someone tell me how to weight this boat for surfing? i must be doing it wrong... i have tried several set-ups
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-14-2005, 12:54 PM Reply   
Here is how I weight my '01. Usually on the goofy side, but the reg side is as good or better.

400lbs lead driver side bow
Center ballast full
Driver rear ballast full
600lb sac driver rear compartment
For every 3-4 ppl in passenger area, I ask one to sit in bow.

Here are a few pics of the passenger side wake. This day we had 400 in bow, center full, rear side full, one person in bow, 100lbs lead in rear, 4 passengers and a driver. No fat sac was used.

Old    rob_k_from_mn            06-05-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
I'm on the verge of buying a 1999 X-Star and I was wondering if anyone has been able to get the right weight figured out in order to surf. I have surfed a ton behind a regular 205. I'm wondering if the 205-V is the problem.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-05-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure that the 01 205V hull is the same as 04 and I'll tell ya, the 04 hull throws an awesome surf wake on either side. Here's the weight breakdown:

750lbs in whatever side locker you're wanting to surf on.
300lbs stock in the center locker.
300lbs lead in the cabin whatever side you're riding on.
400 lbs in the bow.
passengers on the swim platform/rear seat of whatever side we're riding on. The surf wake is VERY nice with that setup.

If you're surfing the right (goofy) side, turn the boat in a slow right hand turn, same goes for the left side.

perfect pass is set for 8.8
Old    jesiday            06-06-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Okay, I am not a genius, but the 99 X-Star is the 205 hull, right? If it isn't completely disregard, or laugh histerically at the following:

We have an 05 X-2, and it's got the sickest wakesurfing wake I've ridden. (I can count in the SAN 211, 'Bu VLX, and Xstar..I really want to see/ride a Centurion, but that just hasn't been in the cards)

We have only weighted it once on the goofy side, since I ride regular; the prop cavitation was pretty nasty.

For the reg side, this is how we weigh it:

Port- tank full
Belly- somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 full. While we were getting the wake dialed in, we just used a fat sac in the bow; with the belly empty..
In the Port compartment stack two fat sacs on top of each other and fill to capacity.
As far as lead goes: we have 8 bags (although we just bought 4 more, I'll keep you posted on the change) We place most of them (like 5) on top of the hard tank, and the rest go underneath that corner cushion between the locker and the seating area of the boat. Then, depending on water conditions, we run PP at around 10.5-10.7. This gives a very, very clean wake with a really long sweet spot.

Oh, and we always put all the passengers on the port side.

Hope this helps a little bit...
jesi
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-06-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
I have a '00 X-Star and we get a pretty darn impressive wakesurf wake. We typically use stock ballast plus two sacks in the rear port compartment. Have everyone but the driver sit on the passenger side. I weigh a lot (not going to put that number in writing) and I can always ride without the rope and do a few tricks.

The video on the following link was from when I just learned how to ride. There was no ballast in the back at that time either. We can make it much bigger now. Please forgive the awful gloves (they were a gift from my mom).

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/Matt-Wake-Surfing-In-Late-June_wakeboarding-photos.html?medid=11725
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-07-2006, 5:06 AM Reply   
Here's a pic of the 04 X2 surf wake with the set up I posted above.
Upload
Old     (elo)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
if my tristar with no ballast, 3 people in the boat could do it, im sure the xstar can, cary that pic is great, i love fish eyes