Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    whitechocolate            09-23-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
This is a Off shoot of another Thread Please list why you hate PWC's Ill start off. I hate PWC's Because! Chris Neelley where are ya!

#1 The 2 Stroke ones smell (IMO 2 stroke smell is ok when your off roading but seems to be a joke when your on the water)

#2 They throw a lot of wake for just one person
(I get less upset when seeing 3 people ripping on 1 PWC across the water then when their's just one guy ripping up the water for his enjoyment only)

# It seems that most wallys start out with a PWC
and then graduate to a Boat. So IMO they are the breading ground for Idots.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-23-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
My number one complaint is the parents that let their children ride em and the kids don't look over there shoulder b4 doing extreme turns. I've lost count of the times ive almost been run into by them or run them over at the delta and even in the wide open spaces at Mead. Even the adults sometimes suffer massive brain f@rts when they get on them. 60mph is to fast for someone that doesnt even have a drivers license. Other than that I ditto what Grant has said except I spell "idot" idiot.
I hate the sound of them, you hear them coming b4 you seem them. Its like a horror movie. They always seem to appear when you are in the water just as the rope is being pulled tight for your first run on the butta.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
I hate them for three main reasons:

The people driving them have no knowledge of boating etiquette. One such example is speeding through the boat ramps, docks and no wake zones.

The second reason is that they always try to jump my wake while I am riding.

The third is that they never watch where they are going.

I did have a Jet Ski for almost four years but I was courteous of other boats and riders. There aren't many PWC owners with this mentality.
Old    gotpwr            09-23-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
The main reason I hate Jet Ski's is that they are drawn to a wakeboarding wake like flies to #$%^. It's very unnerving having someone jumping the wake behind you when you are boarding. It seems like almost everytime I go out I have to wave-off and give the finger to a Jet Skier following to closely to either myself or someone I'm pulling. A couple of weeks ago I had a Jet Skier come within 10 feet of me while I was wakesurfing.

(Message edited by gotpwr on September 23, 2003)
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-23-2003, 12:52 PM Reply   

Cause they loan them to there friends who have zero clue, making it dangerous for the rest of us.

Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-23-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
Those are some pretty harsh statements above. Hating/disliking all PWCs or riders of PWCs regardless? Just for the record, I have two and always inform any new rider to be courteous of other boaters before I let them on. If operated properly, there should be no issue with them other than crowding of your local waterways (inclusive of the environmental issues associated with older two strokes but that’s not the topic of this thread). The cure for that and the topic of this thread are better solved through education rather than class discrimination. The way I see it, for as many times as I have been bothered by the unsafe or un-courteous operation of another PWCer when wakeboarding I have been equally bothered by the similar operation of other boaters, including wakeboarders. Actually, if I had to guess, I’d put my money on having a higher number of “issues” with fellow wakeboarders, e.g., other drivers coming way too close to my downed boarder and/or blatant unnecessary power turning than I’ve had with PWCers in my many years of Delta riding. As a footnote to this post, I do not take my PWC’s to the Delta. Instead, I limit their use mainly as supplemental fun to our many houseboat trips to Shasta (If you’ve never played Sea-Doo football off the back of a houseboat, you’re missing out). In my opinion, the narrow channels of the Delta do not allow for their safe operation (with exceptions). I think the exact same thing of those super duper high speed off shore racers that are always flying around out there. In fact, one of those giant eighty mile an hour guys came within ten feet of my rider this past weekend while passing me at speed in a very narrow channel. I can say with almost certainty that no one on this board has ever been pestered by one of my PWCs. Just this old fat guys $.02. Bash away.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
Matt and Pierce seem to be the minority. I hate them because;
1. A good friend's wife was killed on the river when one jumped the wake of a boat going the opposite direction and landed in the boat on her head.
2. I personally know 2 guys that have had them slam into their boats. One doing turns and not looking, the other doing the same thing as #1 but landing on his deck.
3. I was once riding my buddy's Doo on Mead when his yahoo friend tried and spray me, lost control and slam my ankle. Didn't break it but it hurt like Shizzle and ruined the rest of the trip for me.
BTW - He didn't have a clue or get one when he was banned from riding it the rest of the trip.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-23-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
I only dislike the ones who are jerks and do STUPID things.

For instance, I was on the way into the docks and a waverunner was comming 15-20 feet behind my boat and jumping my wake. That is just uncalled for. I only wish I had a PA system hooked into my b530s so I could have given them a little piece of my mind.
Old     (alo)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-23-2003, 2:47 PM Reply   
They are rodeo clowns!!!!
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 2:51 PM Reply   
Is it just something in the machine that sucks the common sense out of the rider? We were out a couple weeks ago and a good friend of mine brought down his ski. We were sittin idle gearing up to board when he came at the boat at full speed, turned and sent a wall of water inside the boat. I stupidly had the water cover on the stereo open. Water went right in the cd player, it didnt work for half the day!!

He was lucking that thing is fast, I tried to hit him with the emergency paddle but missed. I got him back when he tried to learn to board later. I forgot to tell him when he starts to fall to let go of the rope...ha ha...he drank some water!!
Old    sandman            09-23-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
I don't hate PWC's in fact I use to own several. I just hate the idiots these days that you find behind the wheel. There is defitely a lack of proper driver education in the PWC world and when you combine that with the surge in popularity of PWC's you get what we have today.
Old     (bmblbee)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-23-2003, 3:37 PM Reply   
I think the real question should be "Why do you hate idiots on the water?"

Stupid people are, regretfully, allowed to drive jet skis, boats, cars and other means of transportation. I've had my share of curses at jets skiers but also had a few choice words for other boaters. My biggest level of intolerance hits in 'no wake' zones and near the boat ramp where all the waves from the idiots makes life difficult for inexperience people trying to launch and load boats. Luckily the 'boat buddy' on my trailer makes it easier for us and we can lock on and get out of the water in a few seconds.
Old    whitechocolate            09-23-2003, 4:52 PM Reply   
Ok This is getting deep but here is another thought. I think several people touched on it in there post's saying somthing about there Brain disconects when you get on a PWC I guess somthing takes over. I think the designed use of a PWC is to drive in the manner in witch they do back and forth jumping and swerving. Even in the comercials selling them they show people turning real tight jumping ect. I guess they are just boring driving in a straight line, like we all do in our Boat's. We all know how much we all hate "Power-turners" in a PWC if you Don't Power turn every 5 seconds I think they give you a ticket, So My point is the Very existance of every PWC goes against everything we know and like. Im not trying to side with stupidy, And for thoes of you safe PWC pilots out there "Thank You" you know we don't hate you we just hate your stupid PWC. I wouldnt ever get on one just because I wouldn't ever want the Evil vibes transmitted from every Wakeboard boat, For thoes of you who own a PWC don't you feel weird when you Pass a fellow wakeboard boat, Do you say sorry in passing or turn your head to hide your face.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-23-2003, 4:58 PM Reply   
Water Maggots, unless I'm on one, then they are a blast.

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-23-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
is it ok to huck water balloons at PWC's. I'd like to bring along a bucket full of balloons next time we go to the delta.

(Message edited by tlb on September 23, 2003)
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2003, 6:32 PM Reply   
Last year on the Columbia River, Crescent Bar area, some drunk fell off the Jet Ski he was riding, the throttle stuck and he wasnt wearing a lanyard. His ski traveled about 100 yrds by itself and drove up the transom of a 27 ft Offshore looking boat and through the front windshield. The couple that was sunning on the sun pad just barely escaped injury by jumping into the water. Happy ending though... the Jet ski sunk!
Old    nohalfboats            09-23-2003, 8:22 PM Reply   
because i don't have one thats why!!
Old    stevenf            09-23-2003, 9:22 PM Reply   
if a PWC gets too close for comfort, its real simple just get a paintball gun keep it under the observer seat when one gets real close, unload a shot or two on em, make em know you dont want them around. Ive heard of this solution before but havent tried it yet but im going to go paintball gun shopping tomorrow!!! I ll let you know how it works within a few days theres a ton of them where we go on the weekends
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-24-2003, 6:51 AM Reply   
I love the paintball gun idea, I've been looking for a flare gun with a scope!
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-24-2003, 7:24 AM Reply   
Yeah - and when you hit someone in the eye with the paintball and they win a multi-million dollar lawsuit against you - the jet-skier will be waving at you }from your X-Star.
Old    vandal            09-24-2003, 7:27 AM Reply   
I dont hate the PWC, I have the extreme dislike for the jag-off behind the handlebars. The PWC is only doing what it is made to do. They can be a savior when it comes to sliders and quick wakeskate sessions. It's kinda like the whole "SUV's are dangerous" thing some people have going on. Just simply not true.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-24-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
I agree with vandal.

Keith,
Sad but true.

Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-24-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
Good point Vandal. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Right?
Old     (jimmyjam)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-25-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
Wow, we have a large number of haters out there!!! I'm with Vandal, PWC's are perfect for the slider course. (Wakesk8 or Wakeboard) It's fun to work on surface tricks on the wakeboard and wakesk8, too. Operator education is the key word and that goes for boats as well. I've had bass boats come within 10 feet of a rider landing a trick. My rider was working on a half cab roll and if he would have stomped it, he would be an ornament on the bass boat right now.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-25-2003, 6:28 PM Reply   
pwc's kill wakeboarders.....
Old    mb_girl            09-25-2003, 7:32 PM Reply   
Because they've got miles of open water with no boats to hassle, yet they have to come f@ck up my good water just when I'm about to drop in for a set. No courtesy whatsoever.
Old    chris_hargis            09-26-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
So, most seem to have no respect for the riders on jet skis, but they are labeled as haters. Is it a form of discrimination to hate ignorance? Vandell hit it with it is the person riding it that causes the probelm, otherwise, it would just be a float sitting there in the water. I am willing to slow down, fill my ballast, and make the biggest wake I can for them if they want to jump something. I do not, however, care for them doing it when I am riding behind my boat. I ride in a narrow channel sometimes, and when I see them coming the opposite way, I shoot out to that side and do a surface slide to spray them as much as I can. However, I have had more close calls with idiots in boats than jet skis. And that is a small number compared to the number of times I havealmost been hit by some idiot in a car. So I have not limited my hate to those idiots who ride jet skis, I have included all idiots who drive any type of vehicle. I guess that make me an equal opportunity hater.
Old    yearling            09-26-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
I almost died on one to say the least. All my freinds are f-ing idiots when you get them on a pwc. They think that nothing is ever going to happen to them if they screw around. Turning without looking pses me off the most. somebody ran into me on one. Thats how i ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks with internal bleeding. If your gona ride a jetski, ride it with respect.}}
Old    mbsteve            09-28-2003, 5:39 PM Reply   
because i had one slam into the side of my boat, while he was doing 360s 10 feet out from the dock in a no wake zone.