Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2012, 5:31 AM Reply   
Mastercraft is in the news.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/se...uild-on-brand/
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-21-2012, 6:22 AM Reply   
To me the X1 was a failed budget boat. Not the boat part but the budget part. If they do that again whats the point. Oh and 5 to 7 is enough for budget minded people not to buy your product just because it has an MC name on it. Do they not realize this? I own an MC and like their products but they just need to admit that they dont care about the budget minded customer and move on.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-21-2012, 6:26 AM Reply   
Blah blah blah. From sports to politics to business to individuals. Everybody seems to spew the same stuff to the media.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-21-2012, 6:30 AM Reply   
Not a whole lot of anything to his strategy, mapping product development process is the new "in" thing at every product development company. (Part of my job is to develop these maps with our customers) The key is whether or not the company is fluid enough to make changes after the mapping activity is over. That is usually where things fall apart and status quo reigns supreme.

I was interested to read they will be going after the low cost market as well. Unfortunately, low cost is a relative term, especially when dealing with Mastercraft. All I know is my X1 sat at the dealer for over a year. Part of that was no one that came in wanted a low cost Mastercraft, they wanted a high dollar model. The people that did want an entry level boat were swayed by the Moombas in dealer stock because of their bigger cockpits, more standard equipment, lower price, etc. I cannot imagine after R&D, new molds, pilot runs, etc, a new entry level MC can cost less than the departed X1. Unless of course they bring back the X1...
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-21-2012, 6:35 AM Reply   
"Even if we are five to seven thousand (dollars) above the others, they will still pick us," he said.

Rolling over here
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-21-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
Matt your right. I have an Xstar aka 205v and your right. While its an awesome boat if someone is buying new they are going to go with a roomier boat. I bought used. In hind site as much as I like my boat I am not going to be a pro wakeboarder even advanced wish I had bought for size. If MC could do the X10 at X1 pricing they may have something. We shall see.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Picked up our X1 while my wife an I were newly married, in our late 20s because for the price, it put the best wake out. We also had/ have no interest in anything over a 22' boat due to the size of lakes we ride on, size of our typical crew and fuel concerns if we needed to be putting 4000 lbs of ballast to get the wake we want.

For a no-frills price point boat, it was a great match to our needs and has treated us very well. If MC re-released the 205V in an under-$40k market, and fixed a few of the issues we encountered, they would have my interest.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
And what magical "under $40k" market might you be referring to? 17' Bayliners?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-21-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
I would love to see that boat under 40K. Heck any Vdrive for that matter. My low quote on a Vdrive so far is $46000. That was for either a Moomba 20V or a Tige R20. Pretty much stripped out. Even those boats quickly go north of 50K with not too many options. Master Craft Entry level will be 60K + if my guess it right. Look what has happened to the Axis.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
The one MasterCraft needs to create to recover from all the brand-damage they have created for themselves. Give me a canvas interior, analog everything w a tape deck.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
Our X1 was $43k, not far away.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-21-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
You bought a brand new X-1 for 43K? Let me know where because I'm on my way to pick one up. MSRP on a Moomba 20V is like 45K no options. Thats the cheapest V drive on the market as far as I know. We were at the MC dealer about a month ago and MSRP on a Prostar 190 is more than that.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
This was in 2006, but you are right it was a demo w 8hrs not new. Apologies for the confusion.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-21-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
That wasn't far out of line for 2006. Wish prices would go back to there. Prices have went up 30%-40% on these boats since around 2006. I bought a new Moomba Outback in 03 for 24K fairly loaded. That boat is now around low 40's with the same stuff. Almost double!!

I really feel like the market is out of control and getting unreachable for more people every year. Wish the Boat Makers would see that. To me a price point boat shouldn't be in the 50-60K range.

Last edited by boardman74; 09-21-2012 at 8:49 AM.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-21-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
I mean honestly how are people buying these 75-100K boats unless their just plain rich. Its gotta be with a large chuck down then 15+ year loans. Thats a mortgage on a boat. Insane. I can buy a decent house right now in alot of places for 100K.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-21-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Todd, you are right on. If banks would stop doing 15 and 20 year loans on boats under 25 feet, I bet sales would fall off by at least half, and thats probably conservative. When another $10,000 only costs $79 /mo on their payment, it makes it seem feasible to the average consumer. Until the banks tighten up and or interest rates go up, I think the boat companies will ride this gravy train into the ground.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-21-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
Todd, you are right on. If banks would stop doing 15 and 20 year loans on boats under 25 feet, I bet sales would fall off by at least half, and thats probably conservative. When another $10,000 only costs $79 /mo on their payment, it makes it seem feasible to the average consumer. Until the banks tighten up and or interest rates go up, I think the boat companies will ride this gravy train into the ground.
If banks stop doing 15 year loans, I would guess more than half the people on this board will be boatless and the boat industry would die. If you think the lack of those loans would cause boat prices to fall, you are not correct. They would decrease to a point, but the labor intensive process of building a boat with mostly oil based materials is costly. Nothing will change that. Of course MC, Nautique, etc could cheapen their boats, but you guys are not going to accept Bayliner-like builds. Hell, people say to avoid first and second year Axis boats because of cheaper vinyl and components. The humor is those same people complain the cost of an A22 has gone up so much.

I hate to say it, but the towboat community has gone snobby. Loans are not the issue, buyer expectations are. Everyone says they want an entry level boat, but they are unwilling to accept thinner vinyl, average gel jobs, less powerful engines, etc.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-21-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
Of course people are unwilling to accept sub par build on a 50+k boat.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kybool View Post
This was in 2006, but you are right it was a demo w 8hrs not new. Apologies for the confusion.
Nice comparison.

I bought an X1 6 years ago that was used for $43,000.

As if the market landscape hasn't changed drastically and the fact that it was a demo had nothing to do with it..
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
If banks stop doing 15 year loans, I would guess more than half the people on this board will be boatless and the boat industry would die. If you think the lack of those loans would cause boat prices to fall, you are not correct. They would decrease to a point, but the labor intensive process of building a boat with mostly oil based materials is costly. Nothing will change that. Of course MC, Nautique, etc could cheapen their boats, but you guys are not going to accept Bayliner-like builds. Hell, people say to avoid first and second year Axis boats because of cheaper vinyl and components. The humor is those same people complain the cost of an A22 has gone up so much.

I hate to say it, but the towboat community has gone snobby. Loans are not the issue, buyer expectations are. Everyone says they want an entry level boat, but they are unwilling to accept thinner vinyl, average gel jobs, less powerful engines, etc.
Preach
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-21-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
JD nailed it.

People are complain how they want a cheaper MC option then they say they are going to and people complain.

I can't see anything bad about what the new CEO has said. An axis for 55 and a MC for 60? Does that sound crazy?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-21-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Look what has happened to the Axis
In fairness, yes, let's look at what happened to Axis. You can still buy an Axis A22, with the standard motor, standard no frills trailer, plug n play, wedge, perfect pass, and stereo pack 1 for under 50K - depending on your dealer. Have there been price increases since 2009 when the A22 first came out? Hell yeah there have. A freaking snickers bar used to cost 75 cents at the gas station too 4 years ago. What does it cost now? Like a $1.25? Everything has gone up. Oil costs affect each and every component of a boat build. Even parts that are not petrolium based depend on gas/diesel to get from A to B to C to the plant. All manufacturers have implimented across the board yearly bottom line price increases of 3-5%. So, what used to be a 39k boat is now a $46-7k boat? Sux, but you can thank big oil for a lot of that price increase. As for the other base price increases, there is no doubt that the interior on the new A22's has come a long way from the '09 boats. By a long way, I mean better quality vinyl, better stiching, seats that are easier to remove and clean, better quality stereo components. You're paying a little more now, but you're getting a nicer boat, and nicer in a way that matters - it's not like Axis is trying to jack up the price of their base boats by adding platinum rinestone cupholders and billet aluminum trash cans or some crap like that.

What I find hilarious is people look at A22's like mine and say, GAWD DAMN, Axis dun gone CRAZY! Heck FIRE, you can buy a dang vlx or x2 for the same price. Axis has friggin lost its roots and is no longer a rider oriented cheap boat. The world is gone and turnt upside down. Well, guess what? There's a big ass difference between an A22 with a friggin corvette motor, z5 bimini, huge wetsounds system, custom trailer with 5 18'' rockstars, heater, underwater lights, swivel racks, etc. etc. than a base no frills standard A22. Yeah, you can probably get a vlx for somewhere in the 60's, but it's sure as hell is not going to have an ls3, z5 and wetsounds system. It's like failing to see the difference between a mustang with a v6 and a GT500.

Yes, the potential price of an A22 has gone way the hell up. However, it's due to the fact that Axis has offered tons of options that you can add onto the A22 to make it nicer, more powerful, and perform better. There's no RULE that says you HAVE to order a friggin RECON or Vandall edition A22. What the hell is wrong with the fact that the consumer is offered more options? What, the perspective of the Axis boats is changing? Because they CAN be build in such a way that the price is 60+k? Who gives a crap? You want a budget boat, buy a stripped A22. You can still do that. Axis is not refusing to sell base model boats with the small motor or anything.

I guess all I'm saying is that those who point the finger at Axis and say, blah blah blah, no longer an affordable boat, blah blah blah. Stop for a second, and make sure you are considering what you can still buy today from Axis that has the equivalent options to what you could buy in '09. Yes, there is a difference in price, but it's not fair to compare the price of a'13 boat with tons of options that weren't available in '09 to the price of an '09 boat.

As for MC, I'm not throwing stones or anything. They make great boats. I have a friend who owns a huge mc dealership and he kills it. I sat in a new XStar on Saturday and poked around in it. It's retarded nice. However, it's retarded expensive too. I just don't see MC taking a step back and actually producing a budget wakeboat without causing image issues with the brand. What do you guys think?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
JD nailed it.

People are complain how they want a cheaper MC option then they say they are going to and people complain.

I can't see anything bad about what the new CEO has said. An axis for 55 and a MC for 60? Does that sound crazy?
Yes, all v-drive boats that are 21' long, have no beds/toilets, cannot be written off as vacation homes that cost $60,000 sounds crazy.

That's a different argument though. I don't think it sounds crazy to sell a Masercraft for 8% more than an Axis. But I think that scale should be something more like $33k and $37k.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Whatever discount you received on your Axis - you have made that back for them 10,000 fold in the last 2 years. Props to them for finding you or you finding them. They have probably sold 50 boats in the past 2 years based on your posts here on Wakeworld. No joke.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-21-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
I'm just trying to keep things in perspective. I love my Axis. I want another one. That being said, I want the damn surfgate system. I wish BU would just go ahead and offer it on an Axis.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I'm just trying to keep things in perspective. I love my Axis. I want another one. That being said, I want the damn surfgate system. I wish BU would just go ahead and offer it on an Axis.
If anyone on WakeWorld doesn't know that you love your Axis - it means that their join date is today.

I want a Surfgate too. On an all black 23LSV.. Maybe spring 13'...
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-21-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
On an all black 23LSV
Would be sick.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-21-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
the company will introduce lower-cost boats that build on MasterCraft's brand-name recognition as a supplier of high-quality boats.

"We will be like the Mercedes C-class of boats," McNew said.
If Moomba is the cheapest V-Drive out there, then we would compare that to let's say a Honda Civic (one of the cheapest new cars out there). Yes a Moomba is $40k+ and a Civic is $15k+, but in the V-Drive wakeboat market that is the bottom, so that's what we can compare with.

Mastercraft said their budget boat will be more like a Mercedes C-Class. A C-Class isn't even Mercedes entry level anymore, that's the A-Class. You wouldn't expect to pay the same for an A-Class Mercedes as you would a Civic, let alone a C-Class.

Just as Mercedes is not going after the Civic buyer, Mastercraft isn't going after to Moomba buyer.

I know $40k is a lot of money, but in the V-Drive Wakeboat market it is the low end.

As someone planning on being a teacher and not making a ton of money, it is super discouraging to me. I will probably never be able to buy a new boat. But the V-Drive Wakeboat industry doesnt care. They care about the people who can afford the $100K boats that make them more money.

I just think it's funny when wakeworlders go up in arms about "price point boats" and how price point should be $20k and all that. But then a company like Standard comes around, builds a stripped down boat for cheap, and no one buys them and the company folds.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Mc doesn't even need to build a budget boat. All they have to do is offer it with out all the useless bling and gadgetry.

Put in analog guages,, rocker switches, take out all the billet accents and custom towers that have been a nightmare, take out the jl standard audio and you will prett much save 15-20 k right there. You molds won't change your materials won't change just the extra's . Offer it on an x2 and x10 and you will jump right in. People buying over 22 ft wakeboats are not looking for budget boats. The small families, newer families, and groups of core riders that are looking for budget boats in my eyes are looking for 21ft wakeboats to tow and garage. Just my .02
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
You dont need a new boat for surfgate. This is a $700 mod. I predict surfgate will be copied by a lot of DIYers. Guys are already putting these on their Enzos. All you need are two Bennett/Lenco trim tabs and little fab work.

Surfgate is great, but the fact that Bu wont retro fit an older boat and makes you buy a 2013 ($3K option) is crazy.

Last edited by lakesurfer; 09-21-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-21-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
JKW - great idea for DIY'ers. I'm not sure I'd want to drill holes and try to custom rig some tabs on the back of a boat that's still under warranty.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
JD nailed it.

Hmmm....I think I said I would appreciate a cheaper boat and would accept(and expect) cheaper, non-wake producing features. Analog, canvas interior, tape deck were the examples I gave, obvously with a little humor built in. Personally the new boats have gotten out of control with features that, ultimately, I would prefer not to have to fix later on. There is a market for the 'stuff', just not with me and the people I ride with. Then again I am the guy who stil likes car windows with a manual crank because its one less thing to break. Do I think a under-$40K boat is reasonable to manufacture and sell? Yes. Do I think MasterCraft is the company that will take the risk and do it? Nope. I am not bashing on them or any boat manufacturer, time for a new kid on the block that focuses on building no-frills, 20-22' wakemachines, not party barges.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
JKW - great idea for DIY'ers. I'm not sure I'd want to drill holes and try to custom rig some tabs on the back of a boat that's still under warranty.
I do understand what you are saying about the warranty, but any hole you put will void that. Guys drill holes all the time in boats (lights,ballast,remotes, etc). This wont be any different.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
Whatever discount you received on your Axis - you have made that back for them 10,000 fold in the last 2 years. Props to them for finding you or you finding them. They have probably sold 50 boats in the past 2 years based on your posts here on Wakeworld. No joke.
I went in to my local dealer last year as an "average joe" that did some research on the boat I wanted and got a custom built 2011 A22 for well under $50k... I could have checked all the boxes and been up to $60k+ easily, it can add up quickly... but I stuck to my budget and chose options wisely and got all the things a wakeboat should have and nothing it shouldn't have. 335 with upgraded prop, depth finder, plug n play, chillax seats, tower mirror (not needed but I like the way it looks ) boat cover, bimini, tandem axle trailer... plus all the standard equipment (CAT motor...thanks california air resource board CARB, slidebox seating, swivel seat, snap in carpet, standard board racks, speed control, 12 inboard LED's, plastic cup holders, engine warming tray, open storage, no carpet in rear lockers...duh right?, standard ballast.... and I got to choose my colors.

I opted out of the stereo, but they cut the speaker holes, ran the wiring, and gave me the standard CD/mp3/USB stereo for free from the factory. I bought all wet sounds and had a custom box built and everything installed and I was STILL under $50k....

Then, I purchased my ballast bags, 2 750's, 1 950 bow sack and the fittings for $600 thanks to wakemakers and the free shipping plus %10 off for promo code "wakeworld" or whatever, plus buying 600lbs of LEAD-WAKE... then 2 years of Boat Bling products to keep my boat looking and smelling incredible (another %10 off thanks to promo code "wakeworld") that I still have not run out of yet (almost 2 years).

Then I tinted the windshield ($120 well spent) and I am STILL just under $50K.

It can be done... in fact a buddy bought a 2012 A22 a few months ago that he had custom built with a lot more options than I had including the upgraded stereo, white tower, Transom LED's etc.... and was mid $50's
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-21-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Mc doesn't even need to build a budget boat. All they have to do is offer it with out all the useless bling and gadgetry.

Put in analog guages,, rocker switches, take out all the billet accents and custom towers that have been a nightmare, take out the jl standard audio and you will prett much save 15-20 k right there. You molds won't change your materials won't change just the extra's...
MC already does this. It's called Maristar. The local dealer sells them stripped with a Samson blade tower and locally sourced trailer for $60k. Guess what... They sat on the lot forever.

Malibu does this too. It's called VRide. Same deal... They don't sell that well. If they did they would have never created a second budget boat line with Axis.

Sometimes we are like NBA owners. Always complaining about high salaries when they are the same guys signing the max contracts.

Facts are facts... The manufacturers have given us cheap options... But we (speaking generally about all inboard buyers) have largely ignored them, or optioned them right back up in price.

In 2006 MC offered the X1 on a single axle trailer for $39,950. How many of you took advantage of that?? My guess is very very few.

The boat prices we have today are exactly the prices we've voted for with our wallets (again, speaking of the boat market in general).
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2012, 4:39 PM Reply   
Economics baby, Economics
Quit your wine'n, if you want a New Wake Boat prepare to depart with the cash
everyone else shut the F-up, buy something pre-owned untill you can buy new.
One more thing, you get what you pay for, materials and labor do have a price.
Boat builder are in business to make money, not make the people that Can't Afford their new products happy.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2012, 4:49 PM Reply   
I think that we are going to have a good used boat market here on the next 18 months. Look at all the first time break thru's...

Mastercraft - new Xstar

Malibu - surfgate

Supra - pickle fork

Nautique - pickle fork.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
I agree with a few more gently used and appreciated pre-owned wake boat on the market but not mine, I like my MasterCraft XStar
Nautique has a Pickle fork?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-21-2012, 6:50 PM Reply   
I wonder if nobody bought a WAKEboat for a year, then what would the prices do...
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I wonder if nobody bought a WAKEboat for a year, then what would the prices do...
Prices would double
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2012, 8:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
I agree with a few more gently used and appreciated pre-owned wake boat on the market but not mine, I like my MasterCraft XStar
Nautique has a Pickle fork?
Yeah, but it's not the extreme whale-stabbing, water-shoveling, double-barrelled, uselessness-type. MCMBMalibu
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-22-2012, 5:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kybool View Post
Yeah, but it's not the extreme whale-stabbing, water-shoveling, double-barrelled, uselessness-type. MCMBMalibu
More like the Moomba's sand box shovel, M1 tank front
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-22-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
a pickle fork's purpose seems similar to a spork...it tries to serve some sort of a purpose but in the end you might as well grab a spoon and get a full bite of cereal. I like the full length of the boat being utilized more if you're going to square off the front, like the g or the mint mojito - errr mojo for practicality.
Old     (jordanleininger21)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-22-2012, 9:08 PM Reply   
We got a 2008 Mastercraft X14 last winter, the boat had 160 hours on it and it was still north of 57k. It is pretty loaded but for a cross-over boat that is crazy. Thankfully I'm still in high school so my parents picked up the tab but it is a little ridiculous.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
MC already does this. It's called Maristar. The local dealer sells them stripped with a Samson blade tower and locally sourced trailer for $60k. Guess what... They sat on the lot forever.

Malibu does this too. It's called VRide. Same deal... They don't sell that well. If they did they would have never created a second budget boat line with Axis.

Sometimes we are like NBA owners. Always complaining about high salaries when they are the same guys signing the max contracts.

Facts are facts... The manufacturers have given us cheap options... But we (speaking generally about all inboard buyers) have largely ignored them, or optioned them right back up in price.

In 2006 MC offered the X1 on a single axle trailer for $39,950. How many of you took advantage of that?? My guess is very very few.

The boat prices we have today are exactly the prices we've voted for with our wallets (again, speaking of the boat market in general).

yea but Maristar isn't exactly missing all the bling and gadgetry and stereos.

As far as the X1 goes....... Its hull has been around forever til 2012. Most people saw they could save 30k because there was no way an X1 left our dealership under 50k by the time you added the riding essentials , freight and prep. The X2 was introduced and the used market was flooded with used 205V X-Stars and @05V's at a fraction of the cost. It was bad timing. There is a reason the X1 hull lasted so long. I can tell you every time I have gone to upgrade I just cant pull the trigger. Its been 3 times now I was set to sign on the dotted line only to have been disappointed with the demo or wondering if the new boat is 30k better than what I own outright. Every single time the wake and versitility just couldn't compete with my OG XStar that i use to ski board and surf behind. I was in a course last week with it . Not another V Drive out there that has a Pro Wakeboard wake and a skiable slalom wake in the course as good as the OG 205V hull. Its only single downfall was/is space.

It listed for 44k in 2000 and Is still worth every bit of 23k right now. I could probably pull 25k if I wanted to sit on it because the used market here has dried up with sub 30k VDrives

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-23-2012 at 3:26 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-23-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
Quote:

As far as the X1 goes....... Its hull has been around forever til 2012. Most people saw they could save 30k because there was no way an X1 left our dealership under 50k by the time you added the riding essentials , freight and prep. The X2 was introduced and the used market was flooded with used 205V X-Stars and @05V's at a fraction of the cost. It was bad timing. There is a reason the X1 hull lasted so long. I can tell you every time I have gone to upgrade I just cant pull the trigger. Its been 3 times now I was set to sign on the dotted line only to have been disappointed with the demo or wondering if the new boat is 30k better than what I own outright. Every single time the wake and versitility just couldn't compete with my OG XStar that i use to ski board and surf behind. I was in a course last week with it . Not another V Drive out there that has a Pro Wakeboard wake and a skiable slalom wake in the course as good as the OG 205V hull. Its only single downfall was/is space.

It listed for 44k in 2000 and Is still worth every bit of 23k right now. I could probably pull 25k if I wanted to sit on it because the used market here has dried up with sub 30k VDrives
All true... But that's not the point I was trying to make.

We like to complain that the manufactures don't offer cheap boats. I was simply trying to show that they do. However, the majority of boat buyers have not embraced them.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
I will def agree with that . Seems people go to a lower level boat to get it fully optioned with everything only to be back in the top 3 price range.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-23-2012, 9:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
I think that we are going to have a good used boat market here on the next 18 months. Look at all the first time break thru's...

Mastercraft - new Xstar

Malibu - surfgate

Supra - pickle fork

Nautique - pickle fork.
It will be very interesting for sure. With these new boats coming in at increasingly high prices, it seems to keep used boats increasing in price too. So I think that as people start dumping their boats to buy the new stuff, there will become an increase in the supply of late model used wakeboats, and then the price will drop. And then when the prices start to drop for used boats, it will cause some people to wait, since their current boat's value will not be enough to justify the move up the ladder.

I wonder how quickly the boat market feels these sorts of things.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-25-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
Xstar

I agree 100% MC did not produce a boat until MAYBE the X15 that would be worth getting rid of the 205v boat for. Really in my opinion the next boat that would be worth getting rid of my xstar 205v is the X25. However it will take it to be about a 6 or 8 year old X25 for me to afford it!

Quote:

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
I am obviously a little biased, but the X15 makes a great wake. I really believe it is the most under rated wake out there.