Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-11-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
Anyone know of a good glove for riding in cold water/weather? It's getting to be that time in Pennsylvania and there don't seem to be too many that are marketed for wakeboarding. Thanks!!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-11-2011, 10:46 AM Reply   
O'niell Psycho. Best hands down.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-11-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
These work perfectly. Not too thick, not too thin. Highly recommend:

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page...loves/MWGL73MM
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-11-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
We wear dry suits here in Canada at this time of year and when it gets really cold, I don't find the gloves help as much because your hands get wet and they are hard to ride in and hard to do handlepasses. Now I wear industrial Latex gloxes and tuck them into the seal of the drysuit. This keeps you hands totally dry and they are so thin it doesn't even feel like you are wearing gloves. Looks kinda dorky though.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-11-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
^^^^^ None of those issues apply to the Psycho's. Hands stay warm, great grip on the handle and no negative effect on handle pass.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
The 1.5mm Oneill Psycho gloves are the best. Anything thicker is too hard to feel the handle and your hands get tired trying to grip the handle.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-11-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
I agree with Mitch - Here is what we are talking about - http://www.wakeboards.com/O-neill-Ps..._neogloves.htm
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-11-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
REI or any other sporting goods store usually have some in the kayaking section. If you need something urgent and your local board shop doesnt have anything on hand...

I picked some up at REI and they have pretty good grip material on the inside... never had any issues with losing the handle..
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-12-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
That O'neil stuff looks amazing. They also have these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmAeE...eature=related. They're 2mm and therefore a little warmer. I'm not sure which offers the better balance of warmth and flexibility. I'll have to try out a few different thicknesses of gloves.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-12-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
How are the sizing for the ONiell Psychos compared to snowboard glove sizing? Typically I take a medium. Thanks
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Depends on how cold you're talking, but we use the standard disposable latex gloves (+1) and they work REALLY well. Keeps the wind off and you dont even notice you have them on.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-12-2011, 9:03 PM Reply   
How long do they last with normal use?
Old     (HSE)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-12-2011, 10:53 PM Reply   
I found these at our local sporting goods store.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1806412...Types&var=sbar

They are thin and totally waterproof so you don't get wind chill. Water can run in around the wrist if you dunk your hand, but it warms up quick. The rubber dots have good grip and they are thin enough so the handle doesn't seem huge.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-15-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
+1 for washing up gloves. Don't last as long but my mate has gone through every glove out there and sticks with the washing up ones. Really the water isn't as much of a factor as the wind so while they may tear first set they do the most important job
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-15-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
1.5 mm Xcel infiniti glove... top of the game! No complain at all!
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-15-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
I live in Quebec so I know what COLD means!
Attached Images

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-28-2012, 8:00 PM Reply   
Hey thanks so much for the responses! I made it to Thanksgiving rocking tupperware gloves but will upgrade to excel or oneill for March.