Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you rather?
take the tunnel? 13 46.43%
take the long swim? 6 21.43%
not sure 3 10.71%
just build a cable in Ontario instead of polling WW 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (glwake)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-04-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
Not many people enjoy the long swim in after a fall on the inside of the cable. A tunnel would allow riders to swim less and avoid the risk of crossing in front of kneeboarders (no offense kids).

Please take our poll and we appreciate your support!

The Great Lake Wake wants to thank the conservation authority for the fair chance we received in our pursuit to build Ontario's first six-tower cable. All settled out of court

Attached Images

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-05-2012, 2:36 AM Reply   
are you 100% sure this tunnel wont leak or collapse for any reason?

I think I'll swim.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-05-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
I have no problem taking a paddle. The walk back is nice too, you can watch other people ride as you travel.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-05-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
I would put a little automated kid's choo-choo train cruising around the outside
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2012, 9:10 AM Reply   
i dont get the tunnel
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-05-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
+1 for a track going around. Would be much nicer if there was something like a golf cart or two that would pick you up and bring you back. Nice little rest.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-05-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Brian, I've always thought the same thing, like a gator with a little bench trailer behind it. What you have happen is no one uses the backside of the cable cause they don't want to walk if they fall.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
I'm not sure I understand how a tunnel would reduce the amount of swimming required. I see how it could reduce the amount of walking but not swimming. Unless the tunnel entrance is under water somehow (like with airlock entrances every 20 ft under the path of the cable?!?), you still have to swim to the nearest shore no matter what.

The few times I've gone to cables, I don't mind the walking so much as the walking surface. Walking barefoot over a bunch of sharp, burning hot rocks is no fun. I would happily take a walk that is twice as long if it had a nice walking surface that was soft and not hot--like nice grass or some kind of rubber-y walkway or maybe even a wood plank walkway. A walk without lots of mud or dirt is also a nice plus.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-07-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
It saves you some swimming because you would normally have to swim across the water after cross the island in the center. I think its a cool idea
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-09-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
The two cables I've been to everyone always walked around the outside of the lake. I've never seen anyone swim to the island and walk across and then swim again.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-09-2012, 3:46 PM Reply   
i see ppl do it at mccormicks if they fall closer to the island on the far side
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-10-2012, 10:21 AM Reply   
If your grass is all soft and fluffy like in that picture, I'll walk.
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-10-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
Great option on the cold days........... I am sure it would be costly.
Old     (glwake)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-16-2012, 6:20 AM Reply   
We considered putting a start dock on the island to shorten the walk back and save people from swimming in the path of other riders. Unfortunately, both Sesitec and Rixen agree that putting a start dock on the island is impossible with current technology. The start dock has to be on the outside of the cable.

A bridge from the island (over the cable) to the start dock would need to be 35-40 feet high and have more stairs than a tunnel that only travels 17 feet below the island. A tunnel may be cheaper than a bridge, but it definitely is better suited for gentle ramps instead of stairs, which is crucial for wheelchair accessibility.

Great Lake Wake wants to welcome some of Ontario's top competitive riders to our 2012 wakeboard and wakeskate team!

See everyone on the Roots Tour this summer!

Stay tuned to greatlakewake.com for athlete bios and pics coming soon!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
I would think that a tunnel like that would be very expensive and potentially very dangerous. Really it would not be worth the very mild inconvenience that you are eliminating. Cables that have grass or a legit sand pathway around the lake are the best. Some have proposed a train that is always going around, if feasible that sounds the best especially if you have obstacles on the back side.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-16-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Why dont you just have another start dock on the far opposite corner. That way there are two start docks and so when you fall you just swim to shore and walk to the closest or least crowded start dock.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-16-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
If people had the two start docks i know i would be trying alot more tricks on the far corner where its furthese away from the start dock now. I hate the long walks.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-16-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
I think it's interesting how similar (layout, pictures, etc) Great lake wake's posts are to an anonymous, high volume/fire starting poster on here.........
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-17-2012, 12:01 AM Reply   
I think one of the cableski's in turkey have an underwater walkway. The bursa one I believe. Never been.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-17-2012, 5:17 AM Reply   
where's the "get a boat and don't worry about it either way" choice?