Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
At the AzWA wakesurfsurf contest we got the opportunity to see the Custom up close and James took a quick ride on the 4'10".

I wanted to post pictures of some of the details for folks.

The first is of the tail. In the pictures I have seen before, the Custom looked like it had a very minimal rounded pin or something. Up close it's a rounded diamond tail.

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
The two boards we looked at, 4'2" and 4'10" came standard with Surfdog fins. The fins use the LF screw pattern, so swapping them for other LF 2 screw fins should be easy enough.

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
I really liked the EVA foam pads. The rear kick pad had a nice arch bar and the front pad was HUGE. Also, it was very thin. I always prefer to have a thin pad, it feels more responsive as my foot is closer to the board.

The 4'10 is the white EVA and the 4'2" is the red EVA.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
The bottom of the boards have a slight single concave, I didn't have any straightedge to show it however. These profile pictures show the relatively low entry rocker. While it's hard to see in the pictures, the 4'2" was a tad thicker than the 4'10" The 4'10" is the first picture below.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
This picture gives a better shot of the shape of the nose and also the massive stringer. The boards are exceptionally light, I'm guessing EPS foam and epoxy and glass.

I found this board rather remarkable from one of the big three manufacturers, in that it isn't a popout. Sharp rails at the rear belnding to soft forgiving rails towards the nose. I'll bet this board will pove to be very popular.

Upload
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-30-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Nice pics Jeff. Thanks. I'm hoping I can find myself a ride on one. Redmond shaped that board right?
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Hey Nick, definately see if you can get a ride on one locally. My guess is you'd prefer the 4'2" over the 4'10". My understanding is that all the LF distributors and dealers should have their hands on a few of the boards now.

My understanding is that Redmond designed and shaped the original prototypes, but with the volume that LF sells, I can't imagine that Jimmy Redmond was in the shaping bay for all of them. :-) My guess is that the production shaping is done probably like what Mike Walker does - SurfCAD and a CNC machine and then someone hand finishes the blank.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Is that Elton John delivering a pizza to your boat?
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
NOW it makes sense Ed, I thought it was a code: "Large pepperoni extra cheese." :-)
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-30-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
its a lot thinner than i thought it would be more, more like a skim, i was thinking it was gonna be like a walker or shred stick
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
From the promo pictures, I thought it was going to be thicker too.

Hey Sean, while I have you, can I do an update to the Wakesurf Series site for me?

3 stops and the dates will be:

May 26, June 9th & August 5th

Send me an email with the $ cost, please?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-01-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
hey jeff i was gonna email you today cause the domain is about the run out so im emailing you now.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-02-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
You mean Jimmy isn't going to shape 300 boards a month by himself. Sheesh, what a puss.

To date, my local shop ain't got one. Hopefully they will get one sometime this summer (massive sarcasm). Right now I just want to get out my Walzer. Looks like it's snowin' in them thar hills again.
Old    surfdad            05-09-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
It's not wakesurfing, but I love the roost this thing threw :-)

Upload
Old     (hadsack)      Join Date: May 2005       05-13-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
Has anyone else noticed the fin is a little bit of center, or is it just me?
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-13-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
I think thats and optical illusion, with the sun and the angle of the board.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
Got a chance to check one out in person this weekend. Just at the shop, but at least I got my hands on one. It's a nice piece. They are however essceared to demo it out. I worked on 'em, but this one is gonna be a tough nut to crack. I aint quitin' though.
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
I got to try out the 4'2" the other day. Really easy to ride while still very quick and stable. I am 185 pounds though and i think i was too big for the board. The 4'10" would be perfect. I had about 1000# of water and 11 people in the boat and the wake was huge. Could ride but was hard to recover with such a small board. Also very light. Can't wait to ride the 4'10"
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-14-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
What's the width and thickness of the 4'10 LF custom? We would like go get one of those.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
i got to ride one yesterday,

but since it was only my 2nd time ever it was a little too advanced for me, but it was still a sick ride
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-19-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
i just picked up a 4'10" last week and loved it. Perfect size for me (185lbs.) i would guess the thickness is 3/4" and the width about 20" give or take. It feels like a smaller board than it's length would lead you to believe. Rode it at shasta all week and it is definetly my favorite board right now
Upload
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
to me the custom is a great intermediate inbetween board, not as agressive and fast as a walzer or phase 5 but much faster and more nimble than a broadcast or venture.

heres one of my on the 4'10"
Upload
Old     (mark32)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-23-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
Wake surfings gay don't you understand that