Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    mperki03            01-08-2004, 5:54 AM Reply   
Which is better: for medium wake, intermediate level, and weakend (or sickday) use? Do the molded 6-fin designs provide greater stability than the 2-fin designs, or is there no real difference?

I have been riding a 10 yr. old Obrien board, which has been fine, but I am going to buy a new one this year. I can some simple tricks, but I mostly just do it for fun...and it impresses my wife to see me up in the air!

Thanks for the help!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-05-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
It really depends on your skill level. 6 fin design is usually for the mid to advanced rider, because you use your rail more to edge in to the wake. Where as a 2 fin design you would ride more on your back foot, to keep that fin in the water. I prefer 6 short fins. They track very well but will still break loose when I want them to. But once again this is only my opinion and I have been known to be wrong once or twice in my life. The best thing to do is to demo a few boards from your local shop and find out what works for you.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       02-05-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
i prefer a board with moldeds and a removable center like the premeir and era with the center removed. they still track awesome and are easy for surface tricks
Old    mperki03            02-06-2004, 5:27 AM Reply   
When I posted this subject, I really didn't have a clue what to buy. I am pretty tight when it comes to spending money on my hobies, but I also wanted the best deal I could possibly find and still get the most satisfaction.

I found a Hyperlite Movement at a boat show for $200 w/bindings. I have to hold the board in my hands, rather than just viewing online. For what I am going to do, I think it will work just fine. I wish I could demo a few, but the weather sucks in Missouri.

I also bought the Detention video, which has made clear the mistakes I have been making in the past. Part of that is probably due to the antique I was riding before. It had to be one of the first boards Obrien made (1993?). I will have to find a picture somewhere.

I'll get to see what this board can do in March. Anyway, I am going to have to impress my wife with a new arsenal of tricks before I move up to the advanced boards. As long as I am better than anyone else in the boat, I don't care.

Thanks.

M