Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    wakeboard4568            01-30-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
Hey I've always heard of people practicing inverts and stuff on the trampoline during the off season. I've never really cared about trying it, but the most recent issue of WBM talked about it so I figured I'd give it a try...So I was wondering, does it pay off at all? I dont wanna waste my time..lol
THanks, Elisabet
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-30-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
i dont know how it affects yoor riding yet (havnt been able to ride since i got my trampoline) but i have noticed more handle control and air awareness. it also teaches you how to properly throw inverts (if that makes sense) so i think it will help in the long run
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-30-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
Huge help. I needed to first learn how to flip before I could try inverts. You can learn how to spin by pulling the handle to your hips instead of winding up your upper body (twisting at the hips). It's great exercise too. This is an old topic. For more, I suggest you search the archives. This has been discussed many times. Good luck.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-30-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
its really one of the best training devices you can own. I tie a rope to the tree to give me some pull or tension in the air. Just make sure that you stand on the trampoline just as you would stand behind the boat. Example if your going to try a Front Roll or a Scarecrow, make sure your standing toeside (toes towards the middle of the trampoline with your normal front foot foward). Some people even jump with their board on (without fins of course), but your edge may damage the trampoline. Anyways I try to spend lots of time on the trampoline when I'm not riding, I think its a great tool.
Old    wakeboard4568            01-30-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
Thanks, I'm glad to know that it'll help. I just went down to my neighbors and tried jumping and I made my brother hold the other end of the rope.Haha, I guess he IS good for soemting.
I can do front and back flips, but i couldnt seem to do a side flip...and thats kinda gonna have to happen cause I wanna learn a backroll..anyway, thanks a lot.

elisabeth
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-30-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
The side flips (hs back or front) are tough for me too. The latest copy of WBM has some cool trampoline tricks you can practice.
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-30-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
I find side flips are just mental - it seems like you'd hit your head on the tramp, but they're really pretty easy once you force yourself to try them.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-30-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
I don't understand how to start the side rotation. So I've always stuck to throwing TS backs and tantrums.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-30-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
J-Rod,
Start by doing cartwheels while standing on the trampoline. Then bounce into them a little. Then bounce a bit higher and you won't even have to put your hands down. Just build into it slowly.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-30-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
Ahh..excellent idea! Thanks Matt.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-30-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
I just bought a trampoline for christmas. I have been able to do tantrum's to blind and whirly bird attempts. I havnt gone wakeboarding yet this year but I sure hope i can pull at least a tantrum this year. The trampoline really helps on spins. For more practice take a skateboard and duct tape some sandles to it, you can practice all of your tricks.
Old    valhalla579            01-31-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
I have one concern though. Everybody always says that you're not supposed to throw yourself into trip flips, and just let the shape of the wake toss you around. You would think that making yourself do the quick rotation on a trampoline for tricks like tantrums would give you bad form. Not sure if it's true, and I've never tried it...but it makes sense
Old    wakeboard4568            01-31-2004, 12:33 PM Reply   
I've been working on spins also..i like those cause there's no flipping involved. LOL, I think im gona try the skateboard/sandals trick though..thanks

liz
Old    tfdhyprider            01-31-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
yeah it helps on spins.
Old     (hobag)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-31-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
I don't know I've used a trampoline just to get myself better oriented when I'm upside down, it definately helps with spins too. It's never made the form of my tantrums or my scarecrows get worse.
Old    teenhack            01-31-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
Evan, I understand your concerns because if you have to actually throw yourself to achieve such a rotation on a trampoline, while actually wakeboarding the pull of the boat does most of the work for you. The primary purpose of the trampoline is to get you not only comfortable with the kinds of rotations you'll soon be pulling on the waterm , but also prepare you for the difficult handle passeses to come.
In truth I've used a trampoline primarly for tricks and "simple" flips, but I have yet to feel too uncomfortable carrying over my "knowledge" onto the water...
Old    yearling            02-01-2004, 5:58 PM Reply   
The tramp is the best tool that I have for wakeboarding. Ive had a tramp much longer than ive been wakeboarding, and inverts are no problem. Now i can do double inverts and almost anything i want to. A huge help when youre on the tramp is a tramp board. It keeps your feet together and adds the feeling of a board under your feet. All you need is a skateboard deck and some snowboard bindings. Then youll be set to train.
Old     (reto)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-02-2004, 4:45 AM Reply   
the tramp is the best tool -outside the water- to learn new tricks. we have an article on wakeboard1.de about that:

http://wakeboard1.itxmedia.de/cycon/portal/loader.php?seite=news_detail&navigation=201&system _id=2272&com=detail
Old    yearling            02-02-2004, 8:05 AM Reply   
Reto I dont couldnt read it because it was in german or something.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-02-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
Add the power of an online language translator to your browser with WorldLingo Browser Translator...
http://www.worldlingo.com/products_services/browser_tool.html

Or just look at the pictures and get the general idea...that's what I do, cause I don't really know how to read. lol
Old    shanday            02-05-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
I recently bought a Bounce Board for my husband, he hasn't tried it yet, but it won't void the warranty on your trampoline like the skateboard idea...
Here's a site to check it out. It is produced by Kane Technologies in Oregon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3659066926

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-05-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
$125.00 is a little pricey for the bounce board. I like the idea though.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-05-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
I took an old pair of shoes and screwed them down to an old skateboard deck that we use on the trampoline. Just having something that holds your feet in a certain stance changes the entire feel! I don't see much need for any thing expensive.