Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    love2wakbrd2000            11-01-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
I'm in Northern California (Berryessa, Petaluma River)- considering going out today due to the sunshine but it's only supposed to get up to 61 degrees. Do I NEED a drysuit or can I get away with nothing or a wetsuit? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... thanks!
Old     (gpalovcak)      Join Date: May 2003       11-01-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
From what I heard it is a combination of air and water temp needs to be 100. For me if the water temp is below 55 you need a Dry Suit or Full Wet suit. I use a shorti from 55 and higher.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-01-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yea we were supposed to go out to day, but dad said if the air is under 70, we wont go, and well it is, its 48 right now... so we are very sad.

So for us too cold is when the driver wont drive.
Old    behrfoot            11-01-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
My rule was always if the water isn't frozen, and the launch ramp isn't covered with ice and snow, then we're good to go. But since I've moved to California, I don't have to worry about that too much. Now I just look out for rain and wind.
But drysuits are the way to go if the water and air are both below 60 or so.
Old    walt            11-01-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
Hey Tami How often do you ride in the river ?
Old    beerdrnknboardr            11-01-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
If you are going to ride berryessa in January you are probably going to want a dry suit.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-01-2003, 4:24 PM Reply   
We rode on Thursday and the air temp was about 62 and water temp was 68. With the wind blowing I ended up being cold while sitting in the boat but not in the water. I also trunked it but a shorty would have been nice.

With an air temp of 60 just make sure you have some warm dry clothes in the boat and you should be fine.
Old    love2wakbrd2000            11-01-2003, 5:56 PM Reply   
I went to the Petaluma river for the first time today with Mike from RiverRat Wakeboard school. Man, it's SALTY! But it was fabulous. The water was cold - but buttah. It also helped that I brought the drysuit. All in all with the sun - it was pretty warm. Mike, if you're out there... THANKS! And thanks to all of you for your advice...
Old    huckleberry            11-01-2003, 7:06 PM Reply   
Going tommorow.
Water temp. 67
Air temp. upper 70's

Do I need a full body wetsuit or not?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-01-2003, 7:16 PM Reply   
ummmm id bring a spring just incase, but u shouldnt need it
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-02-2003, 4:37 AM Reply   
I'll usually trunk it until its 45 degrees and put a dry suit on when its snowing. (Yes I'm desperate, hahaha)

(Message edited by kristian on November 02, 2003)
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-02-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
we were at the delta on sat started out about 9am water temp was 51 deg. the air temp was much colder than that. there was only only one person on the beside us and he was a water skier whats up with that where are all the diehards? thanks to our crew we had a great day glass all day!

scott
Old    huckleberry            11-02-2003, 6:39 PM Reply   
It was a great day on Tennessee River. Only my and another buddy went. Everybody else bailed cause it was to cold. One went to play GOLF!!!!

Thank goodness for solar flairs in November.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-03-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
Kristian, you trunk it until its 45? You must never want to have kids:-)
Old    chrispy1            11-03-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
i think the water was definatley below 50 where i am , and i went using a longsuit, no problems , but my feet get cold when i first jumped in.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-04-2003, 5:29 PM Reply   
A little snow and ice never hurt much.

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-04-2003, 6:10 PM Reply   
got a dry suit, so unless it's frozen then it's too cold...
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-04-2003, 9:15 PM Reply   
tami wrote"Do I NEED a drysuit or can I get away with nothing or a wetsuit?" in ohio you must have your crotch covered, but topless is ok. or should this be another thread?
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-05-2003, 5:13 AM Reply   
I went boarding yesterday in Ohio. Looks like it's going to get pretty cold from here on out.
Hey airfreak. Didn't i see that exact same picture last year? You need to get out this winter and update that pic. I would like to see big snow drifts this time, and icecicles hanging from her nose.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-05-2003, 5:31 AM Reply   
WOOOOOO! Airfreak! I did a search and came up with this. I did see that pic before BUT looks like you have plenty more.

I also saw that you said this: ( Ok, this its the first winter with a new boat so I don't really want to scratch it up. How safe is it to bust up the ice to get to the dock?. We started to go through but I ended up swimming from the boat ramp. The ice was only 1" but it was getting thicker so the wife backed off. Any one else have problems with ice? Or should we just plow through it? )
Man your hardcore.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-05-2003, 6:27 AM Reply   
more hardcore at www.winterwaerland.com

~Forrest
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-05-2003, 6:28 AM Reply   
OOOOOPPPPPSSSSS......try.....

www.winterwaterland.com

~Forrest
www.midwestwakefest.com
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-05-2003, 4:10 PM Reply   
airfreak you da man
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Yes I post a few pictures last year. It has just gotten cold here in KS. so I will break out the drysuit next time. Nothing better then having the entire lake all to ourselves. Still waiting to get a picture with the snow falling while riding. Not sure if I want to tow the boat home if that happens.

General rule for us: Air temp above freezing before getting boat out of warm garage. Mid 40's or better and sunny makes a nice day. No sun then it can get chilly.

One lesson a friend learned: Speedo pickup (pitots) don't like the ice. Break the boat ramp clear before backing in. Also, send rollers into a patch of ice to break it up. Sound really wild as it flexes and breaks.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
thats hard core! Saw those site... those guys are nuts...
Old    norcal_99            11-06-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
Wow, I'd hate to faceplant into a sheet of ice.

Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-06-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
actually the coolest things I saw where at a winter riding event. While I was controling the ice flow via a pair of waders & a large ore (it never stopped all day), a barefooter did a "beach" start off a huge chunk & a kneeboarder started on another huge chunk. But after watching this and everybody else avoiding the ice, when I got to ride I headed straight for the chunks. The spotter had been pointing out the chunks so people could avoid them, but not me. I headed straight to where he pointed then ollied on to the chunk (probably about 10'-15' long) & slid it!! Hit a couple more before I finally fell. When I got in the boat the guy (spotter) was like, "I was pointing those out so you wouldn't hit them." And the dude driving was like, "that was the coolest sound I ever heard (the board cracking across the ice)". Needless to say, I don't recommend repeating my lil' stunt, but I can't wait for the ice to flow again. I already have dreamed up some other ideas now. I was pissed nobody filmed it, but I believe there are some still shots from the day showing the ice.....I'll see if I can find them.

~Forrest
Old    1lowe            11-06-2003, 12:38 PM Reply   
Nice one Forrest, I got to try that some day, sounds so much to go sliding on the ice. Awsume!
Old    norcal_99            11-06-2003, 1:00 PM Reply   
Slide Forrest Slide

Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-07-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
yeah it's pretty bad ass.....just don't rip your drysuit on the ice if you fall that would SUCK!!!

Old    climberman15            11-08-2003, 7:59 PM Reply   
man it was 40 degrees today with the water temp around 60 and i had a blast. the air was a bit cold when you got in the boat but you got used to it with time. this is my first winter to wakeboard and i hope to do it all winter with my suit but we will see how that goes. good luck to all
Old    reformryda135            11-09-2003, 4:08 AM Reply   
We ride all winter w/out n/e of that slalom skiing crap! Yeah we live in FLA but....some days it gets in the 50s and we still rode...with nothing but a vest! But ice is diff, my ass will not ride in the ice...thats nuts!}}}}
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-22-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
Its NEVER too cold! As long as the boat will run that is...
Old    angerboy            02-03-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
Maybe yall can help me out i live in texas and i want to board through the winter but im not sure if i need a wet suit or dry during the winter.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Drysuits are the only way to go for winter riding. The cost is a lot more than a wetsuit, but well worth it.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-03-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
I freeze my arse even in SoCal with a wetsuit this time of year. Don't feel too bad in the water, but after the run I'm shaking like a wussey. Doesn't keep me from going, but I don't look forward to being cold, either.

Drysuit someday. Wakeboarding here is colder than surfing, and I get cold surfing.
Old     (coboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
Once you try a drysuit you'll kick yourself for not getting one a long time ago.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-03-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
We just bought a drysuit. It makes riding possible. But when the air temp is 50, your knuckles and feet still turn purple.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-03-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
I just made a deal to be able to sell first quality, AMERICAN made drysuits for $200 plus shipping. The first samples are coming in Feb 6 and I should be able to deliver in late Feb. Interested?

Full length wetsuits, American made, flatlock stitched, $60 plus shipping. Limited lifetime warranty. Limited time on this deal.

Unless you want to advertise a particular brand name, this is the best suit for the money on the market.

rider@boarditup.com
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-03-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
You guys are farken nuts it is too cold when shrinkage gets to the point that you can't find the little champ anymore!!
Old    lukem            02-03-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
YEA, that is way way way way beyond shrinkage. i mean common. you guys are crazy.
Old    c_dub_bizzle            02-03-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
i bet the little man wants to go inverted....like back inside
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-04-2004, 7:13 AM Reply   
Nuf said

Balmy winter day
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-04-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
It's never too cold?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
Hahn, are you sure someone has not signed on using your user ID???

I seem to recall temperature being an issue for some people… “but I will still drive”
Old    yearling            02-04-2004, 2:55 PM Reply   
No offense or anything but if it was 50 or 60 flippin degrees out, Omg would be wakeboarding all day! Its negative 50 over here and the water temp is like negative 10. The reason that Im not going wakeboarding is because in minnesota we got 2 feet of ice and another 2 feet of snow stopping us.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-04-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
Uncle called from northeast montana....was actual temp of -71, 61 plus inches of blown snow drifts. NO THANK YOU!