Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (skidude)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
I need some photos and stories of injuries sustained from putting your arm through the rope handle. Any rope entanglement injury photos would work. Post whatcha got
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-27-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
Upload

Got backed over woooo
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-27-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
You got backed over with a rope?
thats some rope!
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-27-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
Boat lol air nautique
Old     (blaketheho)      Join Date: May 2007       03-27-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
lawsuit?
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-27-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
I got three stitches in my toe, the prop sliced through both bindings missing my feet by cm's. It went above the left binding through my board and under the right binding.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-27-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
Can I ask why you're looking for those pics?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-27-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
I've got a good one, but I'm not gonna post it if this is for a lawsuit or something!
Old     (skidude)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
The pictures and testmonials could be used for a project I am researching for safety advancement in wakeboarding. This and ACL reconstruction appear to be some of the most common of injuries in wakeboarding. I've had 5 ACL reconstructions, 3 from wakeboarding. We have learned that positioning of the feet plays a big role in knee injuries. We are also looking at ways to prevent rope entanglement related injuries. I'd like to show what the injuries look like with photos.
Old     (skidude)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
No lawsuits! Nothing to do with legalities. It's for a product under development. Will be making a press release on this forum in a week or so.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-27-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
OK, here you go!

Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
I was dreading what I would find when I read the title of this post. I assumed the first pic would be the dreaded "byerly boot break". Actually, not too bad.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Yep Walt..... I know the feeling! It still hurts!!

Upload
Old     (skidude)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-28-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Anyone have a broken arm or dislocated shoulder from getting their arm in the handle?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-28-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
i have a distant relative that said he broke his i think
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-28-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
I dislocated mine several times due to falls and one time I didnt wait the full 6 weeks to get back out there and I did a huge just wake to wake jump and on the landing my shoulder came totally out. I probably road away like that for 50 feet or so. After that I had the surgery. And by dislocated, I mean fully and was dangling there, you could stick your finger into a big whole where my shoulder was suppose to be. My muscles were cold cus the water was low 60s and before I could get it set properly my muscles spasmed and contracted while out of socket. Would'nt wish that pain uppon anyone in the world
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-29-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
I've done the same as JJ and J Jak... not fun at all.

I got tossed off a double up off balance and landed with hand through the handle..
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-29-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
"Can I ask why you're looking for those pics?"

haha...was anyone else reminded of that thread where the OP wanted pictures of a broken board so he could try and trick a warranty dep't into sending them a new deck?
Old     (dirtyriverrider)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-29-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine got his arm stuck and had to have part of his bicep surgically removed. He got pretty f'd up from trying a tantrum and his arm took the beating. They had to split his arm open to allow the bicep to expand more. ITs was swollen and nasty. Wish i had some pictures. haha
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-29-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
ya I was lucky it didn't get severed... close.. I got a "little" line in my bicep now..

Let me tell you....thank god for the COAST GUARD APPROVED pfd... body went into shock right away and I was floating with my head above water until the boat could circle around. Make it easy for buddies to grab me by the jacket and lift me out!

There is you safety tip!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-29-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
"We have learned that positioning of the feet plays a big role in knee injuries"

If thats true Im very interested to hear more about your findings
Old     (skidude)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
Still need more arm through the handle pictures, but with regards to feet positioning...

Your knees (ACL) are much safer NOT going toe out so much. Having your feet parallel to each other increase mobility range with natural motion movements when your legs compress on landing.

For example, just stand as if you were on your wakeboard, toes out a little. Try dipping down, (bending your knees) but take your knees inward a little -try to touch your knees together when you dip down. You will notice strain on your ACL (depending on how hard you push your knees together.
Then, put your feet parallel to each other and do the same thing. You will have a much greater range of your knees ability to go inward than before. You should be able to touch your knees, or almost touch them anyway - as you dip.

For some, this stance feels less stable. It did for me. But I was able to adjust to it, and on hard landing I didn't feel near as much stress on my knees. I did feel my leg muscles more the next day though. Having had 5 ACL reconstructions (2 on my left, and 3 on my right) I started looking at this with my orthopedics group. They instantly pointed out the effect of the "toes outward" stress being greater on the knee joint.

So, give me some more pic's and stories of rope handle accidents.

We have developed a product to minimize this type of injury. Will be making a press release in the next week or so.
Stay tuned...

(Message edited by Skidude on March 30, 2009)
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-30-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
I think it really depends on the person. Different people have different ranges of motion. My natural stance is toes out, I use it snowboarding, wakebaording, and while doing squats in the weight room with no strain on my ACL. In fact i feel more strain on my knees with my feet parallel. In the end it's really all about the indavidual body.
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-30-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
my t/s 360 went wrong and somehow i missed the handle pass and the handle ended up going all the way to my armpit. once i fell, the handle ripped all along my arm and jerked the boat rather hard. my arm went numb immediately and i was freakin out not knowing what the hell just happened! luckily it was not season ending and i'm just left with the ugliest bruise i have ever seen! the bruise ended up spreading all the way down to my wrist.

Upload
Old     (skidude)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
Chris, you are right. I am bow legged, so this definately impacts me more than others. It really depends on how far tow out you are, and your individual physical make up. What we have observed is that the majority of people place more stress on their knees the further tow out they go. That's not to say that slightly tow out is bad, but I've see people ski with thier feet 80 degree off parallel. It's not so much simply bending down to test yourself, as it is landing slightly "off" and your knee not bending the way you would prefer, i.e. stressing your ACL.

Good point though.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-30-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
parallel is better with narrower stance. Unfortunately though most board stances keep going wider and wider and the boards ride better on the wider stance (my premier did for sure by just moving out one hole on each binding.) The wider you go the more you have to duck your feet out. Look at weight lifters. They have a wide stance and duck their feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_Dw0FAaZo&feature=related
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-30-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Forgot to say though, that when you go out the back on a fall, the ducked toes really rotates your knees and can be bad too.
Old     (skate_or_die)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-30-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
I know a dude that got his thumb cought in the rope but no pics