Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-15-2013, 1:23 AM Reply   
I have a 2012 VLX. I surfed a little last year with just stock ballast and an older Hyperlite Broadcast. So that's all I have to go by...

This year I'd like to take our surfing to the next level. Bigger wave, better board, etc.

I've considered upgrading to a 2013 VLX with Surf Gate simply because of the convenience of easily switching sides and not have to drive with the boat listed over to one side.

So my question is simple...

If the VLX is your boat and you want to make the best wave possible, would you rather have one with Surf Gate or without?

If your answer is without, can somebody help me with the ideal setup for a VLX w/out Surf Gate? I'd like to have all the ballast hidden and on a switch if possible.

NOTE: I've tried to search, but the initials "VLX" are too short to search for.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2013, 2:39 AM Reply   
I guess another good question would be: When you are not using it, does surf gate affect the ability to make the best wave possible with the VLX?

If it doesn't really affect the wave negatively, then I would definitely get it. It sounds super convenient. You aren't always going to need the absolute biggest wave from your boat every time you go out. There will be a lot of times when you've got beginners, or lots of guests that ride different sides. Would help with beginners, and also save a lot of time.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-15-2013, 4:00 AM Reply   
If you get a Phase 5 Colt that should make the biggest difference.It's a locked in board with plenty of drive down the line and it's good up to 250 lbs. If you weigh more than that Inland Surfer makes a board for up to 300 lbs. On the boat weighting try 600 lbs surf side rear 250 in the bow on the surf side .Then adjust the peeps in the boat to get your best wave.That should be a good starting point and you can add people to adjust from there.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-15-2013, 6:54 AM Reply   
I have a 2009 Malibu 247 Wakesetter, with an 1100 lb bag in the rear. We often would also add up to 1500 lbs on the rear seats. Loaded that heavy, it makes a great wake.
At the end of the season last year, I built a home made surf gate. With the boat weighted evenly with 1100 lbs on each side, the home made surf gate produced a wake that was taller, longer, had more push, a much bigger pocket, a really sweet transition, and mostly, was just way more fun to ride than the slammed/leaned version. I posted videos on Wakeworld some time back, probably can find them by searching "247 slammed vs. leaned."

You probably don't need a wake that big at this point, but everyone in the crew I ride with, including some newbies, fell in love with the shape and easy rideability of a gate shaped wake. Nautique also just jumped on board with a gate system that appears to produce a similar shaped wake.

Based on my experience, I am a big believer in gate shaped wakes. The side to side riding transitions don't interest me much, but the level boat, the ability to switch sides easily for different riders and the great wakes have me sold.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-15-2013, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
If you get a Phase 5 Colt that should make the biggest difference.It's a locked in board with plenty of drive down the line and it's good up to 250 lbs. If you weigh more than that Inland Surfer makes a board for up to 300 lbs. On the boat weighting try 600 lbs surf side rear 250 in the bow on the surf side .Then adjust the peeps in the boat to get your best wave.That should be a good starting point and you can add people to adjust from there.
Thanks for the board recommendation, Robert. I certainly need a new board, and knowing where to start is tough. I am 5'11" 185 lbs.

The other recommendation I keep hearing is Ronix Koal 5'0"
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-15-2013, 5:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Thanks for the board recommendation, Robert. I certainly need a new board, and knowing where to start is tough. I am 5'11" 185 lbs.

Then the Colt would be perfect.I weigh 175 and it had tons of drive for me.We had 2 guys over 6'2" ride it one was 225 and the other was 260.The larger guy was 6'6" and still had enough push to ride rope less.I learned on a Hyperlite Broadcast and the Phase 5 is much easier to learn on.My wife learned on the Colt and was riding rope less in 4 or 5 tries.I've never ridden the Ronix Koal so i can't compare that board.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-15-2013, 5:56 PM Reply   
Quote:

Bro I'm local and have a nice quiver of boards. Let me get you on a soulcraft for a demo you will be amazed at what a difference it makes in your riding.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-16-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
ixfe ***** LISTEN TO THIS and TAKE ADVANTAGE of this offer!!!!!!!!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-17-2013, 7:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Bro I'm local and have a nice quiver of boards. Let me get you on a soulcraft for a demo you will be amazed at what a difference it makes in your riding.
I think I will take you up on this offer. Check your PM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-18-2013, 7:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think I will take you up on this offer. Check your PM.
No problem sounds like fun. We can do my boat or yours when its time to get back on the water. I have a couple soulcrafts a phase five an inland surfer and a shredstixx you can try. I'm sure I have something you will like. We work at the same place so it should not be to hard to make it work