Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (LightningRon)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-23-2011, 5:00 AM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with the Krypt Equalizer? I found a good deal and I'm thinking about scooping one up. I have two tower speakers, 4 in-boat speakers and a 10" sub. The only issue I have is I don't have an amp running my in-boat speakers. They are running off of the HU. Is there a way to be able to control the in-boat speakers without buying an amp? Tower and Sub are ran off of two separate amps. Thanks!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-23-2011, 6:00 AM Reply   
an amp for your in boat speakers is going to have a much bigger impact on your sound quality than adding that EQ. Get the Clarion EQS 746 from Amazon and spend another hundred or so on an inexpensive amp and you are going to be way happier than buying that wetsounds knockoff EQ.
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-23-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
To get the 4200 to control your inboat speakers as well, I think you would have to get an amp for your inboat speakers.
Without the additional amp, it would still work, controlling your tower and bass.
I think you could add the 4200 now, and add the amp in the future when you are ready.
Old     (LightningRon)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-23-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
My main goal is to be able to control the tower and boat speakers seperately along with controlling my sub. That's the only reason I thought about going with the Krypt. I know it is a knock off of the Wetsounds EQ, but it is an inexpensive replacement.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-23-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
The potential benefit of the krypt over the clarion is that you can control two zones instead of one. However without two amps you lose that functionality. So for the same investment on a clarion and a cheap amp you could have a much more satisfactory solution.

With the krypt unit alone you will be able to independently turn your towers up and down but you'll still have to have your cabins cranked to hear your towers. Yuck.

Don't get hung up on the mic... It's kinda dumb even on the ws420 (speaking as a ws420 owner).
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-23-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
I have the unit installed and its working great in my VLX with inboat, tower, and sub. I also have an HSE revolution volume control thrown in the mix. The unit is great to independently control the output going to each speaker and it makes a huge difference being able to control the tower volume separate.

Only problem I am having with the unit is the microphone function. When pressing the talk button on the mic the sound from the tower stops but the interior and sub continue to play music. Shouldnt the unit cut all music when using the mic?
Old     (LightningRon)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-23-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for all of the info. I think I'm going to try it out. If anyone else is interested I have a promo code. Order from the bullet lines website and enter EQ Promo and it will take $70 off. Makes it $149.99
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-23-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzedVLX View Post
I have the unit installed and its working great in my VLX with inboat, tower, and sub. I also have an HSE revolution volume control thrown in the mix. The unit is great to independently control the output going to each speaker and it makes a huge difference being able to control the tower volume separate.

Only problem I am having with the unit is the microphone function. When pressing the talk button on the mic the sound from the tower stops but the interior and sub continue to play music. Shouldnt the unit cut all music when using the mic?
That's the same way the ws420 works. I agree it should (logically) function as a mute on the cabins and sub and as PA for the towers.... but it doesn't.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-23-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRon View Post
Thanks for all of the info. I think I'm going to try it out. If anyone else is interested I have a promo code. Order from the bullet lines website and enter EQ Promo and it will take $70 off. Makes it $149.99
LOL, it's your money, man. You can lead a horse to water and all that
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-23-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRon View Post
Check their ebay auctions first, might save some $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
That's the same way the ws420 works. I agree it should (logically) function as a mute on the cabins and sub and as PA for the towers.... but it doesn't.
I could have swore the first time I had it connected to the rear output of the JBL black box that it muted everything but then I changed it to the front output when all was said and done and then it only pauses the tower to talk through.

Last edited by BlitzedVLX; 06-23-2011 at 9:10 AM.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-19-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
These are now at 80 bucks. Can you go wrong at this price.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-19-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
That's a steal for this no matter how u look at it or not...........however its also shows the view of the markup on this stuff.......rediculous.

I owned a pair of their HLCD speakers they are still going sting on my buddy's boat. The sound quality for me was great. I own one of their swing away racks as well. Great rack for the money. Kens business model may not have been the best over the years but the price's of other mfgs gear leave some people no other option.

Last edited by xstarrider; 12-19-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-19-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
I just did some research on the equalizer and read all the controversy...

I'm not sure the markup is not somehow justified and I don't think you can make a living off one product. Once you pay the cost of the product, design, marketing and consider the number of units sold, I'm not sure pocket change garnered measures up to the risk of having to discount units if your competition clobbers you. However, if you do it right and take the risk there are potential great rewards.

Maybe someone will up the ante with integrated volume control and larger adjustment or separate tower/boat control knobs...especially for volume.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       12-21-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I just did some research on the equalizer and read all the controversy...

I'm not sure the markup is not somehow justified and I don't think you can make a living off one product. Once you pay the cost of the product, design, marketing and consider the number of units sold, I'm not sure pocket change garnered measures up to the risk of having to discount units if your competition clobbers you. However, if you do it right and take the risk there are potential great rewards.

Maybe someone will up the ante with integrated volume control and larger adjustment or separate tower/boat control knobs...especially for volume.
The Wetsounds WS420 Has seperate knobs for cabin and tower. It works really well. They actually have interior speaker control, tower and sub volume.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-21-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
^^^→^^^^^^^^^

As does the krypt
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-21-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
I realize they have separate controls but I think individual knobs would be easier to operate than the multi control knob with the small "slider", not so much the eq knobs as the volume. I have not used this system but I can envision myself fumbling with small knobs at knee level in rough water.
Old    bigdtx            12-21-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
http://www.bulletlines.com/Krypt-KMA...-EQ-p/4555.htm Wow! That's a lot of money.

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746.../dp/B000EZV3T8

Love it - highly recommended.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       12-21-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I realize they have separate controls but I think individual knobs would be easier to operate than the multi control knob with the small "slider", not so much the eq knobs as the volume. I have not used this system but I can envision myself fumbling with small knobs at knee level in rough water.
It actually is pretty easy, I thought the same thing when I put mine in but it is surpisingly easy to use.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-22-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
There was just a limited quantity sale on the Krypt for $80.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-30-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
Can anyone tell me if the krypt EQ controls the sub like the Wetsounds 420 or like the Clarion 746?

What I am asking if the sub is considered part of the in boat speakers, like on the Wetsounds, where if you turn the volume up just on the tower speakers you lose the sub or if it has it's own control like the Clarion where you can still hear it with the fader set only to the tower speakers.

This is a huge drawback to the Wetsounds IMO......
Old     (SteveO)      Join Date: May 2011       12-30-2011, 8:44 PM Reply   
Yes, the krypt works like the Westsounds. Why do you think that is a huge drawback? I think it is designed that way so you can crank up the volume for your rider without blowing everyone out of the boat. I actually like it that way.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-30-2011, 8:58 PM Reply   
Because I would still want the sub to work even if I was just running the towers. The towers are plenty loud that they still fill the boat with sound and I want some bass with that.

With the Clarion EQ I have now, I can control the sub volume independently of the fader between the in boats and towers.