Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-01-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
hey can someone recommend me a good headunit, 4 inboat speakers and an amp to drive them. Only requirement is the head unit to have ipod connectivity.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-01-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Alpine is my favorite for car and marine head unit. Almost all of them have iPod connections by USB. The CDA-105, CDA-9886, and 9886M are great head units.

For speakers, Wet Sounds XS-650's or the newer, more effecient SS-65's.

Amplifiers, there's a lot out there. If you want something nice, a Syn2 or Syn4 would fit the bill. Lots of people here like Alpine and Kicker as well.

Most importantly, what's your budget?
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-01-2010, 8:44 PM Reply   
not to much unfortunately.500 max, so i didnt wanna blow it on say a real good headunit if the sound was terrible. I was hoping to get all mid range stuff, or a good unit and amp and pick up 2 sets of those polk db 650's, i saw them at like 50 bucks a pair werent they?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-01-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
The Alpine CDA-105 is around $175. You can find decently priced amps around $200. Don't short yourself and buy something that isn't that great and end up spending more money on something better. Do it right the first time.

My recommendation is to check out some of your local car audio shops. Not the Best Buy's or chain stores..... You can check those out, but please support your local mom and pop's shops if it's at all possible.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-01-2010, 10:08 PM Reply   
would the polk db 650's be a good setup for inboard speakers provided the correct sized amp used?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-01-2010, 10:56 PM Reply   
I think so...
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-01-2010, 11:14 PM Reply   
If you're on a tight budget I think the polks are the better way to go, and a high end head unit isn't really a necessity, seeing as the speakers will be getting their juice from an amp.

Not knowing your current stereo set-up however, you wanna keep in mind you aren't going to get a lot of bass out 6.5" speakers, and any sort of subwoofer would really add a lot to the whole package, even if you had to get some cheap Walmart type amp to run the subwoofer in the mean time. Just my two cents.

http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/

^^ There's another great and quick source for stereo advice and guides on correctly wiring your speakers to your amp.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-01-2010, 11:24 PM Reply   
Ebay and find blowout deals on the internet. Kenwood makes some quality headunits on a budget as well.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-02-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
chers guys, current setup is the original clarion cassette and 4 speakers. Was just going to replace all of it and add an amp for the speakers. Maybe i'll grab one of those cheap fusion tube subs that will fit in without to much drama.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-02-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
Im redoing my stereo right now. I just wanted something that sounded good in boat and dont even want tower speakers. I have the Kenwood 342u in my truck and like it cause you can have full Ipod control. Check out amazon.com or ebay, there are tons of deals. I am putting in 4 Polk db650's and running those with a Kenwood 8404 amp and a kenwood 3012 sub running off the Kenwood 8104d amp. It was a pretty cheap setup and will sound alot better than what I had!!