Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
What can make it easier on my knees because it really kills.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-23-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
well the byerly is a rough landing board and isn't very forgiving, depending on your size, maybe you need a bigger board, otherwise I suggest getting your legs stronger via weight lifting, I dont get much knee pain. Also, practice makes perfect, make sure you're really flexing those knees upon landing, nothing will tear em up faster than a stiff legged landing
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
My byerly is a 132 and im only about 120 lbs, i thought it was a little big?
Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-23-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
i would say lifting would really help...hit them squats!!
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
thats the right size board... just hit them weights or you could get some knee braces... just the ace ones, they might help

(Message edited by trevorcurry on July 23, 2007)
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-24-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
Knee braces? Lift weights? Just bend your knees when you land. Almost hit your butt on the water. That will take most of the pain out. Also lengthen your line and land on the down side of the other wake would save the hard landings into the flats.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-24-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Alright, what kind of knee braces? Any specific type?
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-24-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
I wouldn't advise a knee brace, they are merely a crutch that you will learn to rely on and make your knees weaker...not a good situation. Take the above advice. Try it right now. Do 25 squats one-legged on your left leg, then 25 on your right leg. First of all, it helps balance, and also builds up those small stabilizing muscles. Then do normal squats with weight. My knee doc said only wear my brace until my leg was back to normal...not to wear it as a 'safety' measure once I was healed.
Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-24-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
if you do squats reguraly they the weight you can do will go up by a lot...i went from doing 155 at the start of summer at 205 now
Old     (wondermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-24-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
try leg presses and isolated one leg presses instead. They work your knees better then squats.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
yes, Ron. lift weights. Absorbing your landing is one thing, but nothing will help more than strength training.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-25-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Just ride more frequently if possible. This will do the same as hitting the gym and give you more TOW so you can progress more.

Time
On
Water
Old     (rah_digga)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-25-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
Wouldn't changing his binding placement on the board help as well? I used to have mine all the way out and now I've got them close together and that has helped. I had this problem on my snowboard as well and did the same thing...it has helped.
Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
can't believe nobody said this yet.. just lengthen your rope out, then you'll be landing wake to wake but further out. bigger air..
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2007, 2:15 AM Reply   
Im no pro, but I think i've read on here to land with line tention so the force of the landing does not travel through your legs.Keeping the line tention will allow you to keep moving foward and not transfer the impact through your body too the water.
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-02-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
Yeah, definitely strengthen your legs, lower back and abs. Really bend your knees on those landings. Also the right board makes a big difference in how hard your landings will be. You should try the '07 Hyperlite Murray. This board has a huge continuous rocker. This not only gives you insane pop, but also the sweetest landings. You'll be amazed, you can trust me on that one...
Old     (ta_barracus)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
Also I would try landing on edge if you can. It makes the landing much more forgiving, because there is less surface area hitting the water. Of course this would be very difficult coming out of some tricks, but just a suggestion.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       08-07-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
Sometimes I land really hard and sometimes I don't. I'm still new to this but it seems that the farther out in the flats I am the better and also if I come down a little staggered, meaning my right foot lands first it doesn't hurt as much, compared to landing on both feet and slapping the board to the water.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       08-19-2007, 1:58 AM Reply   
for flats landings what you need to do is land tail first and on the edge. if you land and just stop edging its going to hurt. the faster your forward momentum when you land also leads to softer landings. lengthening the rope might work also if your at shorter then 75 ft but i ride at 85 ft now and find myself going to the flats almost every jump but its on purpose
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-20-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
The knee pain is probably tendonitis a.k.a. "jumpers knee". Probably super common in wakeboarding, but most often seen in basketball players. I'm no doctor, but I think it's kinda like tennis elbow in your knee. It's caused by too much repetitive jumping placing strain on the tendon over your knee cap.

I read that the way to correct this long term is:

a) Being more flexible/stretching your quads. If your quads are tight, then it makes your tendons have to stretch when you land and bend your legs. This is what causes jumpers knee.

b) Get stronger legs. Build up your level of activity gradually until your body is accustomed to it. You might have the aerobic endurance to ride all day, but you have to build up the leg strength to match. Even if your legs don't feel tired, they may not be up to the task, passing the strain and loads into your knees.

c) Wear a knee strap. Not a knee brace, that is a crutch as others have said. You see a lot of b-ball players wearing neoprene straps under their knee caps or a thin neo sock with a pad under the knee cap over their knee. This is to help reduce the strain on the knee cap.

That, and try the '06/'07 Murray board! Super soft pillowy landings.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-20-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
what are your binding angles and stance width?

Sometimes having too wide or too narrow of a stance can put extra pressure on your knees. The same with the angles.

I had really bad knee problems one summer a few years back, so I messed around with my stance, went narrower and less ducked out...now they don't bother me anymore, but I also try to get more height and go wake-to-wake now vs. landing in the flats.

Oh and another thing...some boards DEFINITELY land softer than others.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-21-2007, 2:40 AM Reply   
dude just ride alot more and maybe even speed the boat up allittle, set the line back farther and clear the trougth( i think thats how its spelt) you land in the trougth its gonna hurt your knees so eaither clear it or land on the downside of the wake. give it a go
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-21-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
Buy a slingshot board, check out the review under the main wakeboarding discussion board. This is the only board that I am comfortable on when I want to go as big as I can. The landings on their boards do not compare to any other boards out there.