Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-18-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
Looking to get out next weekend to Lake San Antonio CA and camp on the water. Where is the best place to go and whats the water temp like. I have been going to Naci for many years and looking for a change during this busy holiday weekend. Any tips? Thanks
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-18-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
Mcandles (spell check) North Shore. Restroom/showers are walking distance and they even have a volleyball court. Drop your boat in the water, camp on the beach, bomb fire at night. I've been going out there for years. Need to get there early to get a spot near the water though. Don't know the water temp and as far as boarding, need to get on it first thing in the morning before the rest of the crowd. Otherwise you're fighting rollers and oh yeah wind. I was supposed to camp out there this weekend, except my buddy canceled last minute.

Tony
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-18-2009, 11:25 PM Reply   
Like Antonio said, north shore is where its at for camping and leaving your boat in the water. It will be a zoo this weekend, get after it early. The water is getting warm, should be mid-high 60s.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-19-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
kevin - go northshore. we were just out there this past weekend (14th-17th). water is in the low 70's, and it was hot as hell. bring lots of shade. the lake is 50%, so most of the campsites are not very flat. if you have an rv, that doesn't matter, but if your tenting it may. after shopping around for the best spot, we chose to camp at road 4, all the way out to the point.

thursday was windy all day long. didn't even go out on the boat. the other days were great. other than from about 3-6pm, there was good water, but you are going on a holiday weekend. you'll have to plan a dawn patrol trip, and then a sunset trip, or learn how to surf during the midday. also, i hope you are planning on arriving by thursday morning. if not, you probably won't find the best spot. since naci is around 35%, everyone is going to san antonio.

good luck. if you have more questions, post 'em, and i'll try to answer them.

oh yeah, the ranger's were out in full force, and so were the lake bugs (literally). I don't mean the jet skis. the bugs are swarming, and you can even hear the buzzing of the swarms. bring "off".
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-19-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
kevin - i just remembered, there is no gas on the lake at this time. i was told they took the pumps out for maintenance. they're supposed to be back in by this weekend, but you never know. i would call beforehand (805.472.2311) to check on the status. if no gas, you have a few options:

1. bring your own gas.
2. drive to the southshore ramp (maybe 45 minutes), and pull your boat out and gas up near the general store.
3. pull your boat out, and drive back to Jolon Rd, and pay $3.65 gallon.

We were able to bring our gas, but if you don't have that option, I would go with #3.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-19-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
I was just down there and it's like Mike said, but he neglected to mention how nasty the water was! The whole lake is green with algae its filthy. Water was good got some good sessions in saturday and sunday but mid day it was chop from jet skis and tubers.

A big second on the bugs. They were freakin herondous. They where everywhere and the off didn't work for us?
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-20-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
We were out there last weekend, there were bugs in some places, some green stuff on the water but not everywhere. you can get some nice early mornin' sessions, but after about 9:00am...forget about it.

-Water temp was in the 100's
-Water level is great

I personally like the south shore a lot better. Like many of you we are also heading out there with two boats possibly three with plenty of food n' booze. Good times.
See y'all wakeworlders out there...
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-20-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
Yeah, in some areas the water was filled with algae (it even turns your entire wake green), but it wasn't bad. Just make sure to wipe down your boat when you take it out, instead of waiting to get home. I can't imagine trying to get that stuff off after it's had time to dry. When we pulled our boat out, we had eggs all over our wedge, exhausts, and the underside of our swimstep. Kinda nasty.

I think Joseph meant to say that the air temp was in the 100's. It could of been.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-20-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
Just say NO. Stay with Naci. San Antonio is no good. One big duck pond full of brownish green water. No shade, Gang Bangers at times. Bring an Eazy Up for shade, gun to protect yourself against the bangers, dog to keep watch of your stuff at night and a sail boat to enjoy the water. I know I am over exagerating, but I have never had a good trip at San Antonio and I have been there 4 times. Oh yeah and leaches, but I have never seen one.
Old     (number55)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-20-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
San Antonio's fine.Just wake up extra early for a nice morning session, and bring the surfers for when it gets blown out. And just remember it is a directional lake, don't be the guy that runs against the flow...
Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
the lake is wide and long. been there a handful of times. never been there on a big weekend, i'm preferable to naci but that maybe because we have a place there. a ranger told me the algae turns up every year then settles back down to the lake floor just depends on weather of exactly on when. it's long and straight and without coves/fingers. so no wind block. i second the early morn runs. from 6:30-9:30 you can get good runs if no fog.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-20-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Looks like I'm joining the masses at San Anton this weekend...jeah. Anyone going out Saturday morning for a super early session? Hola at me....
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-20-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
Brannon is not exaggerating.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-20-2009, 9:06 PM Reply   
Hey Tonyv831,
I will be there all weekend, if you see us "Holler".
I'd be more than happy to have give you a pull.

Ryan...c'mon man Brannon IS exaggerating.
but thanks for trying to keep people away from San Antone...the less people the better for us riders!

Brannon:
"Gang Bangers at times"
dude, let me play the world's smallest violin on that comment.

You must be talking about my crew...keep it gangsta' homie...
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-20-2009, 9:31 PM Reply   
Joseph, right on man, thanks. I'll be rolling out there on Friday morning N. Shore w/my son and my peeps won't show up until Saturday noonish, so I've got some time to kill between then and Saturday. My peeps aren't much for riding either way, so yeah I'd like to get a sesh in early Sat/Sun. I'll be on the lookout.

Dunno what the big deal is on San Anton, even my neighbor "stays away" for many of the reasons mentioned above. I've been going out there for years and never had a prob. and I don't roll out there anywhere near as deep as you.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-20-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
Hey TonyV831,

We love to wakeboard! so if you see us, please , by all means, I would be more than happy to hang out with you. I spite of all the negative talk about San Antone, I will be there, because I do not mind the "negativity"
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-21-2009, 12:29 AM Reply   
pack a 45 and some shade, i will third brannon and ryan. never seen so many fights stabbings and a shooting in a weekend. i like that place in the winter pretty dope lake. holiday weekends.....well be safe dude. but hey its way better than the delta could ever be!!

(Message edited by westsiderippa on May 21, 2009)
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-21-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys, A spot has opened at our little hide-out just outside of Fresno, Glass all day long, water temp aprox 75+ Air 90+ and Waterfront camping with very little crowed.
Have a Great and safe weekend.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-21-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
Kevin what lake are you going to then. I want to know this lake too. Email me if you don't want to tell everyone.....lol
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-25-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
I just got back, It was sick, water temp 78, air 90 and only aprox 10 boats max. Also by the way it has water and ele. hook-up on the water. I will give you a hint, its not a lake. I will post some photos but can't give away the location. If your in Fresno you may know where this is.
Old     (jason31)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
I am going to guess the Mendota Slough. That is exactly what you are describing. The best spot in central Cal.