Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-22-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
Just venting a bit, Tahoe was working out great but now we are feeling the squeeze.

I moved out here with my hardwood floor contracting business because we found a newly built house for the right price. The beauty was it was on a 5 acre property right in Truckee with room for my trucks, boat, and cargo trailer.

We moved out with an arrangement on X price, then when we got here we got squeezed to 300 dollars more rent: That part was fine. Now, after having already paid April rent in advance the landlord comes down informing me it was 500 more in rent effective immediatly "because his wife lost his job".

I cant lie, we had a good deal......but now 800 dollars more a month later I am feeling the squeeze.

I could easily rent a 3000 sq ft house in Reno for less than I am paying for this small home, but we love the mountains and having the reservoirs nearby and to say it again, the storage space is nearly priceless for me.

I dont have any recourse other than to pack up and move, find another place, or start burning bridges because we have no lease. I dont even believe this is a legal renting relationship as he just built the "Second" home on his property without pulling permits and it certainly isnt zoned for rental.

Just frustrated, things were really taking off here and going well for us......but I really dont have much desire to live in Reno and other homes in Tahoe dont have the parking/storage situation situation I need.

So its either suck it up and pay it, which it is probably worth it, or pack up and head back to Wisconsin. My real concern with paying more (again) is having no way to protect myself from future increases.

Just frustrated, figured WW was a decent place to whine a bit. 800 dollars extra isnt a lot to some people, its a big amount for me.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-22-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
that suck!
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
Sounds like you need to build. I don't know how much land is there though.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
was there a rental agreement? if so, if the rent for 12 months is stated, could you fight it w/ that?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-22-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
I don't understand. Why is there no rental or lease agreement? Is this a relative or friend? If for some strange reason you didn't have a rental agreement originally, why didn't you get one after the first raise in the rent? If you are able to dig up the extra $800 per month, will you then get a rental agreement or just trust that he won't raise the rent again next month? Seems like we're missing a piece of the puzzle here.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-22-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
No lease, bummer. In Florida laws are based on the payment period. So if you are paying monthly then you must be provided a 30 day notice. No effective immediately changes are allowed. Check your State's statutes.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Mike- if you think the new amount is worth paying, and your concern is about him raising the rent again....then why don't you and him sign an agreement at the new price?

Also, I think the Colorado statues are available for no charge online:
http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Dont pay. Since he is not honoring your verbal agreement, let him evict you. In FL it takes approx 60-90 days to evict. When/if he submits the paperwork, tell him you will see him in court. I dont know about out there, but building without a permit here in FL will cost him big money. keep sending your rent check, certified would be best, and if he sends it back, you can use that as evidence in the eviction proceedings. Do you have any kids? If so, it might be harder to evict if you can show that it might disrupt their schooling.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
BTW, you might be able to pay some of the rent through your business as an expense(pre-tax). I know its not much, but $800 business expense is about a $500 personal expense and every little bit helps...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Mike.

From what I understand, the market is in the toilet in Tahoe though. Have you looked around at other places?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-23-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
since you store your equipment/trucks on-site, couldn't you write-off some rent as a business expense? not just pay it through your business, but deduct it. may not help your cash needs, but you'll net less expense in the end.

How is your company structured? If sole proprietor, then you can deduct AT LEAST 1/2 of it via itemized Schedule C.

talk to him. see if you can meet in the middle on something, then try to get it in writing for a lease period, so this doesn't happen. Basically, let him know you have to vacate. And see if he thinks his rate + 800 is viable to someone else. or make him evict, if you don't mind burning the bridge.

just some ideas. hope it helps
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-23-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
if the market is in the toilet, he may rather have you there paying something what you were, than have it vacant.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-23-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
Why don't you turn your landlord into the local building inspection department I guarantee you they'd love to hear about his non-permitted house, he will have to pay double fee penalties which for the new house they built can run him about $20,000-$40,000 to pull the permits that is not including what the planning dept. will do to them, plus the cost of getting an engineer or architect to draw his plans. Let your landlords know this and I can guarantee you that will definitely get their attention, if not allow you to stay a free of charge for a while. I am a building inspector for a local jurisdiction and believe me it is a nightmare for property owners when they get caught building without permits. Just thought you might want to know, good luck!
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-23-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
Just move back to Wisconsin... JK. I hope this works out for you.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
Simply,

Get the hell out of there. Why would you care to live where someone feels they can rip you off and change the agreement at the drop of a hat.

Dude thinks you have some $$ and wants to get his. If you buy a property you will be much better off.

I am not talking about going back to WI, but you need to simply look for another situation up there.

You should be looking for your own property if the dude is not playing fair and yes, 800 bucks a month is a good amount, you can mortgage over 100k with that 800 bucks.
How much storage do you need?? One vehicle, flooring supplies?? Like a two car garage??

(Message edited by Flux on March 23, 2007)
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-23-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
I appreciate the advise guys, this was a friend of a friend situation from back in the midwest. I hope to avoid burning any bridges but the story is a long one, the house isnt even done! As was promised for January 1.

I hope something comes together, I am trying to be sympathetic to their loss as well, but a seven day notice on an increase of rent is a bit much.

(Message edited by mjmurphy53711 on March 23, 2007)
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-23-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
As someone said, someone there is better then no one there. With his wife losing her job that should make him be especially nice to you. Any place that big is going to take awhile to find another tenant.
Old    K.B.C.            03-23-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
I wouldn't go as far as to say the market in Tahoe is in the toilet. It's MUCH worse in other areas right now. Values are actually pretty stable.

Sorry to hear that Mike. Hope it works out, was looking foward to doing some riding together this summer. Good luck.

Where is the house? Glenshire?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
Did you put a security deposit down? If not, time for a move out party...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Yeah, maybe it's better in north lake. I've been watching the cabins on the market in the outskirts of south lake. The same cabins that have been on the market for 6 months are now going for 50,000 - 80,000 less. You can get a 2br cabin for under 300K now.
Old     (charvey)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-23-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
In Texas a lease for 1 year or less does not have to be in writing to be binding. Your first verbal lease may be enforceable.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-23-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
"I hope something comes together, I am trying to be sympathetic to their loss as well, but a seven day notice on an increase of rent is a bit much."

I'll bet you dimes to dollars that a 7 day notice is not legal. I was going to move out of an office building and was preparing to give my required 30 notice. The lessor raised my rent with insufficient notice and lost his gamble because it gave me the right to decline and leave without notice.

I would inform him that 7 day notice of a rent increase is not legal and only pay the current amount for the next month. But be prepared to move.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
I'd be looking to move. Seems like every time the dude needs or wants money he is gonna walk up and tell you to fork it over. Not really a good way to go imo.

Just start looking around for your next home. Gotta be something out there with a garage or some sort of storage place you could keep your materials.
Old    deltahoosier            03-23-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
Get your cancelled check copies ready in case you want to fight. You can prove that you had a contract of so much money by the cancelled checks.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-23-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
Under Ca law, if rent is increased by under 10%, landlord has to provide 30 days notice to take effect, 60 days if over 10%. If you have been there more than a year, he has to provide 60 days notice to vacate if you choose not to accept the increase.

Check out page 30:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-23-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
You should stick it out for the summer and get a written lease with a fixed rent for at least that period. Use some of the information you've gotten here (and know about him) to bargain the landlord to a smaller rent increase, but with continued rent for the summer. You leave, he has no rent at all. Tahoe in the summer = fun times.
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-24-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
Whats wrong with Reno?
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-24-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Reno isn't bad. The hardwood business is booming in that whole area. I have a couple of buddies that own hardwood businesses in reno\tahoe. Why don't you just find another place in tahoe to rent?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-03-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
All is well, found a BIGGER, NICER, house on MORE land right by Prosser for the same price I pay now...Im set and the 07 wake season in Tahoe can count me in.

Mike: Do you have contact info for your buddies? I would like to network with them a bit.

Thanks wakeworlders, I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum......I was steamed that day.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-04-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
glad to hear everything worked out it sounded like a bad deal from the beginning
Old    K.B.C.            04-05-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
"Whats wrong with Reno?"

hmmmm.....
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-05-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
A guy I work with has a verbal agreement with his landlord. His landlord is selling the house. In CA. Even a verbal agreement, if you have been there for 1 year, they can only raise the rent by 10% by giving you a 60 day notice. They can only raise the rent by 20% in any given 12 month period.

Use Google, and look at some renters laws. He is afraid the new owners will raise his rent, and he can't afford it either. A little research and he thinks he's "good."
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-05-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
Approaching 1000 posts Sperbet? The Captain will be very proud to hear that. While we're at it, Sperbet, what's wrong with tindy? Or backside v. frontside board/lip slides?
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-05-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
Mike- I will talk to my buddy, he is in vegas for a few more months but his phone is still ringing off the hook for jobs in reno and tahoe. If you want to e-mail me your info, I will put him in touch with you.
Old    K.B.C.            04-06-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
....almost...there.....

Nothing wrong with Tindy. If you read my profile you'd see that it's my favorite grab.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-06-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
Tindy's are the coooo-lest. I'll bust a big one out just for you guys.

Wakeboarding in Tahoe this year??? Count me in.

Glad to hear you made it work out, Mike.
Old    K.B.C.            04-06-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
oh...and Brian, back lips are the pimp s#!@t, but only if you grab and/or flip out of the lip slide.

Evan, hopefully it works out better this year. We need to get out on the water again.