Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-05-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
alright you guys already know I am in the Navy, so here we go again on another det to Fallon, NV. I am thinking about taking my boat since we will be there for a bit. But before I do I would like to know about the local lakes. Are they any good,experiences, etc..

Walker Lake
Fallon NWR
Silver Springs Lake
Pyramid Lake

thank you guys for your help....
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-05-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
Go to lahontan it's about half hour from fallon in silver springs. Their is an access off of Hwy 50 on the dam side which is very easy to get to. The lake is kinda dirty but stays pretty warm, and you can usually find good water in the Narrows or on the dam side depending on which way the wind is blowing. Pyramid is a good lake but it is on an indian reservation and they have some strange rules, the biggest problem with Pyramid is it has alkalie (salt) in it. Which if you flush the motor and wash the boat at the end of the day its not that big of a deal. The water is clean and you can find good water there most of the day also. But Pyramid can get nasty in a hurry if their are signs of a storm coming get off the lake immediately! Walker lake I heard is worse than Pyramid when it comes to alkalie, but I have never been there. I'm out at Lahontan quite a bit so if you don't bring your boat let me know and you can come out some time, see ya on the lake.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-05-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
Is it the big lake by 50 and 95?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-05-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
Every time we go to Fallon, and pass Walker Lake, I wonder if anyone ever rides that place... The water always looks good, and it stretches forever.

Have fun... We just wrapped up our last Fallon det., now it's time for deployment... Boo!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-05-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
Blake who you with?

I see in your profile CVN 68, I was on the Nimitz when we took her around the world and dropped her off in Va.

You know anything about Fallon NWR?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-06-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
Tim, how often you go?
How big is your crew?
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-06-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
Yea it runs along 50 and 95. I try to go out every weekend. But I do go to other lakes besides Lahontan. I have a lake about 25 mintues from my house in Reno, towards California. My crew varies sometimes 3-4 and other times 6-9.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-06-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
Anything I need to know about lahonton, price, local price for gas, etc.

Is lahonton the actual name of the lake?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-06-2007, 11:21 PM Reply   
I'm attached to VAW-117.

I've never used Fallon MWR, but they were offering a lot while we were there... Mostly snowboarding trips. The last time we were there(last summer), they didn't offer much for water sports, except for boat and rv rentals... No wakeboarding boats. :-)
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-07-2007, 3:38 AM Reply   
I believe we shot ducks out of Fallon MWR back in the mid 90's. Wish I had started riding way back then, maybe I'd have a few more tricks in my bag by now.

Ghostrider, you're doing a Fallon Det the right way by dragging along your boat. Hopefully you'll get plenty enough down-time to use it. Still real cold there?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Before Fallon we have testa coming then home for a bit then CAG Fallon, so it should have warmed up a bit by then..

wish I had a few more tricks in my bag also, thinking of starting from the basics since last year I really didn't get on the water but a few times and this year will be limited also (but not as much). Really sucks I have 1 good summer under my belt and then hit and miss the last 2 years, I really feel I should have progressed better but when I think about my actualy pulls/time on the water I don't feel to bad, add the fact that I just love spending family time on the boat..
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-07-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
When in Fallon take bikes or quads for Sand Mountain. Great during week pretty crazy on weekends. Hey how far is Lake Topaz from there? Great trout fishing in spring.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
Sand mt not an option.
Last year a sailor from our command was killed and now they have made it off limits to us.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
not to offend anyone but I will fish when I am old..
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-09-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
Boating at Lahontan is I believe around $10.00 a day here is their website and it has a paychart about halfway down of fees for all the lakes in the area.
http://parks.nv.gov/lah.htm
Weather for this Sunday is 76 degrees and sunny at the lake, I am going out for the first run of the season.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-09-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
Thanx, thats helps out greatly..

right now I am leaning about 95% sure I will be bringing my boat, as long as we stay on a 24 on 24 off work sch.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-09-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
how busy does this lake get, good time etc..

you know how us boarders love our BUTTTA..
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-11-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
gets busy, during the major weekends (Memorial, July 4, Labor day) Normal weekends aren't that bad early mornings but can get kinda stupid during the day, typical lake senerio. Week days no one out there so if your on the 24 on 24 off deal it will work out great. Definately good times, they have an INT league here also if your interested. They do four or five weekend events at the lake and close off one of the coves. I went out today the air temp was 78 and the water was 46 but it was BUTTTA, That dry suit is worth it's price on days like this.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
I go tno problem getting out to the water eeaarrllyyfor the glass on the weekends, I can't image it being anything like what I am use to at Folsom in sacramento. I had to make that a weekday lake and use the delta,melones or the sac river.

Did you get any pics?

I Like your BU in your profile.
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-12-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
Tim you should of called me. I was up on the hill boarding, but the lake was on my mind.

Later Don
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-12-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Sorry Don, I took a very small crew my roommate and his girl to make sure everything was running properly for the the first run of the season. Didn't want to get everyone all excited to go and then get to the lake and find out I had a problem. Everything went smooth and it was great I'll give ya a shout next time for sure. This weekend doesn't look so hot.
No pics this outing but I will try to get some next time. Lahontan is no where near as bad as Folsom.

(Message edited by nvboarder on March 12, 2007)