Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-28-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
I live in Mississippi and I don't really want to winterize my boat because we do have a few nice days in the winter that I could take it out. My question is, what do I need to do to take care of the boat during the winter when it's not being used as much? I have a engine compartment warmer that I will use when the temp gets cold enough to freeze. I will have to store the boat outside with the cover on. Does anyone have any sugestions on how to prevent mildew from forming on my seats?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-28-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
I don't really winterize my boat either since I usally get out at least once a month during the winter. Here's what I do.....

- I add a small bottle of Sta-Bil (treats 20 gal) after each use of the boat.
- I drain the block, manifolds, V-drive, and ballast after each use between December and February.
- I keep my boat covered with the factory mooring cover and then a nylon tarp over that (keeps the boat 100% dry inside).
- After each rain or during a stretch of nice weather, I will partially uncover the boat for a day to let it breath.

Other than that, I just keep up with the changing of fluids as needed every 50 hours.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-28-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Richard's list is pretty inclusive. I use mine about once a week during the winter, so I do nothing to mine , but keep the cover on it.
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-28-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Do you guys change the oil just because it's winter and you will not be using the boat that much or do you just change it when the boat requires it? Should I drain all the water out of the engine even if I have the engine warmer? If i just use the warmer should I flush the engine out about once a week with some fresh water? I will probably take mine out about once or twice a month also.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-28-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Draining the water is pretty easy compared to replacing the motor.
Old     (scottyr7)      Join Date: May 2006       11-29-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
I agree, draining the block, etc., is very quick and painless compared to the thousands you could spend on a cracked block.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-29-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
Richard - Do you store your boat indoors? We keep ours in a non-climate controlled environment indoors and it has always been fine.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-29-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
Nope, mine is in my backyard out in the elements. I used to have a CC SN176 that fit in my garage, which was not climate controlled. I never drained the block on that boat and was always fine. Inside a storage building or garage I think you will be fine depending on the length and severity of the freeze. If it's going to be 28 and below for more than 24 hours straight I would drain. In Texas that's something we don't have to worry about very often.

Really though, after you drain everything a few times it becomes second nature. The other day I drained my block, manifolds, V-drive, and ballast. It took maybe 20 minutes from start to finish. The biggest pain is taking off the side panels in the rear compartments so that you can get to the engine. The drain plugs themselves are literally as simple as turning a screw.

(Message edited by nauty on November 29, 2006)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-29-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Yeah, I should probably do it but I don't know where all the plugs and hoses that I need to disconect are located! Lazy, yes I know. We have been in the same storage place for almost 10 years though and have never drain nor had any problems.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-29-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
So where do you ride in Dallas?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-29-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
If you've been there ten years and hadn't had a problem I wouldn't be terribly worried.

I ride Lewisville mostly, but I also make a trip out west or down south a couple times a summer. I live about 2 minutes from the Shady Shores ramp on Lewy. With the lake so low that ramp has been closed all year. Lately I've been launching at Arrowhead.

Ever surf Dallas Wakeboarding? I post there occasionally under Richard-SSV. If you are riding over the winter I'm always looking for people to ride with. Most of the regulars I ride with in the summer go into hiding after October. Shoot me a PM if you need a pull or third.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-29-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
Hey Adam,

I know you live in Houston. You dont worry about the few days that it gets below freezing? I ride year round too, but I am scared that if we get a few days of freezing that I will freeze the block.
Old    mendo247            11-29-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
man its been COLD here in norcal! 27 this morning in the valley! ive owned boats all my life and have never winterized a one, but i have to admit i did check the weather this morning to see how long this cold spell was gonna last.. cough cough im actually thinking about putting a blanket or even a lamp in the engine compartment..
Old     (themilelowclub)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-03-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
I put a block heater on mine. Modified from an early diesel. Just plug it in...voila!